SOHW-1633S problem or it is normal?

vbimport

Hi, I have buyed just yesterday, a Liteon SOHW-1633S, but if I connect the device with one HDD Samsung (I have 2 HDD Samsung SP, 40Gb and 80Gb), the Bios don’t recognise one of them, even if I set it Slave or Master. It works only if I connect it with another dvd-rw (Nec 2500A). With the Nec connected with HDD Samsung I haven’t any problem. Why? The drive is broken?
I hope someone can help me.

Are you using an 80 wire IDE cable?

That is strange. Anyway, you should not use the burner on the same ide channel as the source hd for performance reasons, so do not worry about this problem.

X Codeking: yes I use an 80wire IDE cable (U-ATA133); i have tried to change it but I don’t solve the problem. The mainboard (Gigabyte SocketA KT880) recognise the device as ATA66. With my old Nec 2500A I have any problem (it is an ATA33 device).

x ala42: I know it, but I must use the burner on the same ide channel of hdd, because I have a removable hdd and the cable is not much longer.

Are the HD’s jumped as cs or master? Set HD to master and optical to slave. :cool:

If that doesn’t work for you don’t worry 'bout it. Samsung drives seldom last more than a few months anyway so you can fix the problem as soon as they smoke! :wink: :wink:

I have setted HD as cs and master but the problem remains…I hope that my samsung drives will last for long (my previous Maxtor drive have smoked after 2 months…). Thanks :slight_smile:

Cable Select creates more problems than solves. Death to the CS.

I havent’ tried cable select…only slave or master…I’ll try cs, but I don’t think I’ll solve the problem…the mainboard recognise only the Liteon and not the HDD… :frowning:

I’ve always used cable select for my hard drives and CD/DVD burners. It always works as it should and I also don’t have to worry about changing a jumper when I switch things around.

Funny you should say that, I’ve been using a Samsung 120GB HDD for the last 1.5 years and a 20GB HDD for 5 years now, no problems whatsoever. Go read the storagereview.com HDD reliability database, you might be surprised.

Glad to here it!

But, I won’t be surprised… Been teching for 15 years and my shops are currently replacing these drives at a rate of 15 to 20 a month. Which amounts to 'bout 10 to 1 vs Western Digital, 3 to 1 vs Seagate, and 5 to 1 vs Maxtor… To each his own. Regards- :wink: :wink: :wink: