SOHW-1633S mistakenly crossflashed to death, ways to recover?

vbimport

Hello,
I have crossflashed my SOHW-1633S by mistake (to DRU-800A), now the drive can be detected by BIOS as DRU-800A, but can’t be detected by windows. The drive’s LED blinks all the time, never stops, and the open/close tray function seems OK. I tried using MTKflash 1.80 in DOS, but it never got beyond the “updating 00%” point. (primary slave), MTKflash 1.83C stops at"Port: 1f0, Master/Slave:b0" and never got beyond. MTKflash 1.69 even not responding, stops at the version number of the program. Is there any way I can do to recover my drive? Thanks.

I reply to myself…
I have found the solution to the “updating 00%” and no further issue, in this thread:http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=122690

The hold the “eject tray” button tweak is essential for the operation of MTKflash.

Now mtkflash 1.83C seems to work, but when I execute “mtkflash 4 w /m BYX5.BIN”, the screen returns:

Erasing… Chip Erased
Erasing… Chip Erased
…(9 more times)…
ERR:fail to erase flash!

Now the drive’LED is not blink anymore, and the BIOS can’t detect this drive either, the drive is totally dead…

How can I do to successfully flash BIN file to the drive?

progress update…
I have changed a computer to accomplish the recover process of the dead 1633S, this time luckily, MTKflash 1.83C successfully updated the firmware of this drive (to DRU-710A with crossflash patch). First test reveals that the “new” 710A could read DVD discs successfully, further tests pending. Thanks all…

Progress update…

After recovering the 1633S to 710A, I have tested:

DVD discs: read and write fine.
CD discs: can not detect.

Now finding solution…

Hopefully the hardware is okay.

[QUOTE=Albert;2692277]Hopefully the hardware is okay.[/QUOTE]

I strongly doubt that this drive originally does not have the ability to read/write CD discs. This drive was bought as an OEM unit which may lacks the laser diode that handle the CD discs, but only has the DVD laser diode? Do drives of that time have seperate laser diodes to handle different discs?

Pardon me for my short reply.

Yes, there is different hardware in the drive for CD and DVD support.

On those earlier drives, we would see cases where the CD hardware would go out before the DVD hardware. Frequently, this would happen at the same time as a firmware update or some other event, but really, the hardware just went bad.

[QUOTE=Albert;2692413]Pardon me for my short reply.

Yes, there is different hardware in the drive for CD and DVD support.

On those earlier drives, we would see cases where the CD hardware would go out before the DVD hardware. Frequently, this would happen at the same time as a firmware update or some other event, but really, the hardware just went bad.[/QUOTE]

Hello Albert, did you mean that the CD hardware of this drive is broken because of some reasons, instead of “missing some hardware by nature” of this particular OEM drive to handle CDs?

Yes, I meant that it was broken, not missing. Sorry for the confusion. :o

[QUOTE=Albert;2692432]Yes, I meant that it was broken, not missing. Sorry for the confusion. :o[/QUOTE]

Albert, it doesn’t matter:) I’m satisfied with this 710A(1633S) drive although it lacks the CD handling ability because of some reason, it only costs me less than $6 to obtain it.:smiley:

The weirdest thing of this story is that the OEM drive indicates it’s “SOHW-1693S” in the label pasted on it’s upside, while the PC recognizes it as “SOHW-1633S @ BSBP”. Because of this, I initially think 1633S could crossflashed to 1693S, the weirdest label of this drive confused me. But luckily ecough, I could rescue this flashed-to-death drive back to life thanks to the help of this forum.

All the 3S drives from back then TECHNICALLY used the same hardware, except for slight differences (can’t remember if hardware, EEPROM, or both) that meant only the 1673S and 1693S could be crossflashed between one another, while the 53S/33S/13S (all the way down to the 1213S) could be crossflashed between one another. So, in theory, the drive could have been labeled somewhere as a 1693S (since that is a representative of the hardware inside for ALL those drives), but released as a lesser drive.

From this rescue procedure I have learned a lot of the story of 3S drives, and yes, I know 1673S and 1693S could be crossflashed between each other, while 1213S/1613S/1633S/1653S could be too.

I’m too rash to crossflash this drive when lacks fundamental knowledge of this series of drives, I’ll be carefull to do similar tasks in the future.

Thanks for your explanation Albert.