Software to wipe hard drive?

vbimport

hi, i am thinking of selling one of my pc`s, i want to delete all my programs etc on the hard drive, is there software that will do it safely?
thanks
mark

One that springs to mind is [B]Acronis True Image Home 2010[/B]
It has various options for securely erasing an HDD, it’s a great backup solution as well.
If you only wanted to secure erase the one HDD, there is also a trial version available.

Hi,[QUOTE=md74;2484561]hi, i am thinking of selling one of my pc`s, i want to delete all my programs etc on the hard drive, is there software that will do it safely?[/QUOTE]To wipe the HDD, there are several free options:

[ol]
[li]Nearly all HDD manufacturers offer their diagnostic software, wich also allows to wipe the HDD (sometimes falsely called low level format).
[/li]
[li] Eraser: http://eraser.heidi.ie/
[/li]
[li]Darik’s Boot and Nuke (www.dban.org)
[/li]
[li]In case you are familiar with Linux, any live CD should do the job since these all contain the dd command.
[/li][/ol]
I’d prefer dban

Michael

thanks, i am thinking of building a new system, will my vista os work on a new hard drive? or will i need a new os?
or if i move my hard drive into the new build, it should work with a new mobo, my current pc is only 10 month old and uses sata conection?
hope this is not too muddled!:bow:

If your new system is sata capable then the old sata drive will work in it also.I would still wipe it clean and start from scratch.

If you have the Vista media yes you can use it in your new build and a new hard drive, just not in both.

thanks for your replies
mark

[QUOTE=md74;2484561]hi, i am thinking of selling one of my pc`s, i want to delete all my programs etc on the hard drive, is there software that will do it safely?
thanks
mark[/QUOTE]

There is a free version that will wipe the drive clean and I used it but it does take some time to wipe the drive clean. That is something you have to consider when you want to wipe the HDD clean and unrecoverable. I used the program Killdisk and it works but the larger the drive the longer the time it takes. I just used the free version of it and that by itself works just as good.

http://www.killdisk.com/