Software to test my DVD backups?

vbimport

I would like an app that will scan a DVD backup for errors that might cause it to not play properly in an external DVD player.

What I would like it to scan for are obvious errors in the burn and so forth.

Please list the Make and Model of your DVD burner.

Nutec 082, firmware rev B375. I check the movies now by letting them run all the way through in my DVD player. LONG test. Is there an app that can quickly scan the disc for any errors?

I rarely have problems, but I’d like to test each one all the same.

Basic I/O errors you might catch with free Nero CD-DVD Speed test. It reads the DVD faster then the player plays. Or you can try ripping the backup just for this test. Assuming your backups tested to play on the standalone, this should be enough for most purposes. Some DVD drives offer better error checking using special programs.

If you go to videohelp.com and get DVDShrink it might give you what you want. On opening the program, the buttons at the top will allow you to open disc. Doing this will process the disc using an initial fast read. While this is not perfect (it only takes seconds) if you watch the speed of the process it will often show you where there might be a problem in the burn as it will slow down. It will also catch any gross read errors and CRC errors very quickly and stop reading. I have used this method for quite some time and cross checked it with Kprobe many times and it has proven to be reliable.

Wouldn’t he just got to DVDShrink to get DVDShrink? :confused:

Thanks everyone! I have DVDShrink so I’ll give that a shot. I also have KProbe and no idea how to use it. (I just installed it last night.) I’m not the type to need a hand-holding through the process, so could someone just give me the quick and dirty process for using it to test the disc for errors?

Again, thanks to everyone.

I thought Kprobe only worked with Lite-On burners.

Good point. I have a Lite-On SOHC-5232K, will that work to at least test the disc?

As I recall the 523 only reads DVD so it will probably not give you reliable results. You might try CDSpeed. The author has added quite a few other drives and the NU might be supported.

Correct. However, I was hoping that since all I need to do is read the disc to check for errors, it wouldn’t matter? I actually use that drive to rip the discs in the first place, and I burn them on the Nutec.

What I have tried so far is trying to rip the backup (great idea!) and it catches the error. I tried DVDShrink and it did not catch it. (Opening the disc.) So now I’m just looking for quicker ways to do it.

Running KProbe now. It got to 97% on the known-bad disc and started reporting errors galore. The question that I have is about the 97%… the rip of this disc fails at around 51% with a CRC error. Why is KProbe finding something at 97% (there may be a problem there of course) but not at the 50-ish% point?

Sounds like cheap media.

To be sure. However, the issue is to find the quickest way to test the final product for readability irrespective of the odds of finding a problem.

I just ran KProbe on a known good burn (same media) and came up with this result:

The problem is that I have no idea what it means other than the fact that it finished without errors. :slight_smile:

Kprobe needs to be run at 4X. Rerun and post the scan and then you will be able to get feedback. The problem with Kprobe and appropriate drives has nothing to do with the fact that the drive only reads. Burners are the only reliable drive to use. However, if you want an assessment regardless of the problems…the burn looks fine. The high spikes are due to running it at MAX instead of 4X. Leave your media in until you save the png file and then we can see the media code.

Here is the same disc at 4x.

Date : 2/6/2005 10:41:25 PM
Model : 1-0-0-0 LITE-ON COMBO SOHC-5232K NK0G
Disc : DVD-ROM , []
Speed : 4x
ECC blocks sum (PI/PIF) : 8/1
Scanned range : 0 - 2173058
Sampling count : 119423
Errors : 0
PI Max : 353
PI Average : 28.18
PI Total : 480358
PIF Max : 190
PIF Average : 4.81
PIF Total : 82025

A single high spike can sometimes be ignored although that is a very high spike. The pi is acceptable (not really good but aceptable). The limit on pi is 280. While I have seen pi much beter than that, you are still reasonably under what is considered readable. It is kind of hard to tell on the pif as the graph range is so high. You can right click on the graph and change the range that it displays so you can zoom in and see a little beter. From what I can tell though, there are some problem areas in the pif. The limit on pif is 4. Like I said, single spikes that go a Little higher do not always cause problems but it looks like you have some bad areas (hard to tell because of the range of the graph). Like chas0039 said, kprobe is generally only acurate with liteon burners (their are some people that think that using liteon rom drives works too so you will have to make your own judgment call thier). The program was written to work with burners though. You might also want to download cdspeed. it can help tell you if that high spike is problamatic. If the read speed drops way down or fails in cdspeed where the spike is then it is problamatic.
One very important thing though. The best way to get good burns is to get good media. Brand doesn’t matter. What matters is the media code (the true manufacture of the disk). Download this free program
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/
And post the media code of the disks you are using. Even with good media, your firmware has to burn it good so you want to buy good media and then scan to see if your burner likes that media. It’s not worth saving a few dollars on media if it doesn’t give reliable burns (and their is lots of good stuff on sale all the time).

From what I can tell, this should be somewhat acceptable:

However, when I try to rip this disc it fails at 4%.

I realize a lot of the problem is cheap media. My wife is in Miami today (we live in the Bahamas) picking up some Ridata media that I want to try. Hopefully it will work a bit better. Now that I’ve done more reading here, I’ll be getting a new drive and much better media. (next newegg order)

I downloaded DVD Identifier and this is what it told me about my DVD-R’s:

Unique Disc Identifier : [DVD-R:RITEKG05]

Disc & Book Type : [DVD-R] - [DVD-R]
Manufacturer Name : [Ritek Corp.]
Manufacturer ID : [RITEKG05]
Blank Disc Capacity : [2,298,496 Sectors = 4,489.3MB = 4.38GB (4.71GB)]

Drive Capabilities:
** INFO : Drive = _NEC DVD_RW ND-3500AG [FW 2.16]
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD+RW DVD+R DVD+R-DL
** INFO : Write Capabilities = DVD-RW DVD-R
** INFO : Disc = [DVD-R:RITEKG05]

Are the discs I am using good with the burner I have? How many coasters do you think I will receive out of a pack of 100? Please let me know as I am thinking of ordering 300 more tomorrow, these are the discs I am referring to -> http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-132-369&depa=1
Let me know what you guys think, thanks
-GoldSport