Software to organize music

Hello, everybody.
I have a problem with handling of my music collection. It counts at about a hundred of albums and is growing every week. I want to make some kind of catalogue with sorting and searching abilities. Could you recommend me some program to do this? Also, I’d like it to deal with artists, if it is possible.

[QUOTE=Wrackage;2591425]Hello, everybody.
I have a problem with handling of my music collection. It counts at about a hundred of albums and is growing every week. I want to make some kind of catalogue with sorting and searching abilities. Could you recommend me some program to do this? Also, I’d like it to deal with artists, if it is possible.[/QUOTE]

For easy playback:

Make a DAAP/Itunes server like the FireFly media server and use the FireFly Java client to connect to it. You can search on almost anything and everything using DAAP.

My FreeNAS comes with a built-in DAAP server and all i needed to do was to point to the folder that has all the music files. The Firefly Java client connects to it and works flawlessly on multiple computers.

For easy management:

The program Media Monkey is an excellent product to organize every music file on your sysem.

VisualCD is free and does just what you need.

@ Mr. Belvedere:

Thanks for the reply, but your first option is too complicated. I’m looking for some lightweight software to catalogue my discs/files.
Media Monkey is a good solution, but I wonder if it can give some information about albums or artists, not just like iTunes: download covers and that’s all…

@ petremure:
Thanks, I will try that

I hope you are not one of those people expect some sort of magical solution…

Personally I do most of my playback with Windows media player, which does a good job on files that are either untagged or tagged correctly.
(incorrect tags cause WMP to make an unholy mess)

As for organizing the files themselves I use a simple nested folder system,

Artist\01 Album\001 track

This serves to rather precisely organize my digital music collection
of ~800 CDs.

AD

[QUOTE=Wrackage;2591425]Hello, everybody.
I have a problem with handling of my music collection. It counts at about a hundred of albums and is growing every week. I want to make some kind of catalogue with sorting and searching abilities. Could you recommend me some program to do this? Also, I’d like it to deal with artists, if it is possible.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Wrackage;2591640]@ Mr. Belvedere:

Thanks for the reply, but your first option is too complicated. I’m looking for some lightweight software to catalogue my discs/files.[/QUOTE]

Well, a DAAP server does just that. It’s pretty easy to setup if you read the documentation.

And if you have such a large digital music collection i actually would recommend some sort of file server/centralized storing point to store them on.

@ petremure:
Thanks for the recommendation, but Visual CD is not actually what I’m looking for. Considering that the organizer is for music, I suppose it should be more specialized.

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2591804]I hope you are not one of those people expect some sort of magical solution…
[/QUOTE]

No I’m not, but it seems like I’ve found one. Just searched and have run across the promising software called Musicnizer. The coolest thing is that it downloads various info from the internet and forms a database of your collection so you can browse it and find out much more about artists, their bios and stuff. I’ll test it and, maybe, other similar programs for several days and will write back.

I use WinAmp myself. All my music is in a couple of big folders (no sub folders) and WinAmp’s library seems quite able to make sense of that. A quick click or two and I can search/sort by Album, Artist, Song Title, Date or pretty much any file parameter I’d like. I also use a plug in that allows me to export music (to a portable drive, for instance) in the exact order of the playlist, pre-pending PL001, PL002…PLxxx if needed to keep it alphabetized.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2592341]I use WinAmp myself. All my music is in a couple of big folders (no sub folders) and WinAmp’s library seems quite able to make sense of that. A quick click or two and I can search/sort by Album, Artist, Song Title, Date or pretty much any file parameter I’d like. I also use a plug in that allows me to export music (to a portable drive, for instance) in the exact order of the playlist, pre-pending PL001, PL002…PLxxx if needed to keep it alphabetized.[/QUOTE]

The MOD beat me to it I use Winamp as it will create mp3 of my music with folder for each artist and they track name so I know what I am playing back. There the free and paid version but I would go with the paid as that would more worth it but the free version is also there as a choice to use as well. And it can sync to a portable and possibly NAS server which might fit your needs. Not everything is a magical bullet but Winamp in my experience comes very close to doing what it does without much fanfare but works for what it does.

Guys, I’ve been testing Musicnizer for a few days and should say it’s just awesome!
I haven’t seen any other similar software that would give me as much info. You just add your album/artist to the database and it downloads automatically bios, facts, discographies, covers and other data from a number of websites that you can choose. Almost every entry is clickable, so you can sort it and get info in the “encyclopedia style” =). Of course, all music can be played back here.
So I’d recommend all music lovers to try it, it’s worth your time
I’ll keep on testing and write back soon

[QUOTE=Wrackage;2592700]Guys, I’ve been testing Musicnizer for a few days and should say it’s just awesome!
I haven’t seen any other similar software that would give me as much info. You just add your album/artist to the database and it downloads automatically bios, facts, discographies, covers and other data from a number of websites that you can choose. Almost every entry is clickable, so you can sort it and get info in the “encyclopedia style” =). Of course, all music can be played back here.
So I’d recommend all music lovers to try it, it’s worth your time:
I’ll keep on testing and write back soon[/QUOTE]

Unheard of software makes one wonder how good it is though?? Testing for few days? That’s is not alot of time to know what it really does and how good. Other software does give similiar info it’s how you customize the display and what it shows that each users does. Why would one have to add their album/artist when for example Winamp will locate the album/artist/track and neatly put them in a folder of that album. I rather have the software find the album/artist/track rather then do it yourself as you could make a mistake in sorting and naming it the wrong way. So what is awesome for a few days might not be for the long haul. Plus I already have the cd already I just like to have the music and that is all I need. I think that is what most music listeners like to have cause they already have the physical case and cd already.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2592755]Unheard of software makes one wonder how good it is though?? Testing for few days? That’s is not alot of time to know what it really does and how good. Other software does give similiar info it’s how you customize the display and what it shows that each users does. Why would one have to add their album/artist when for example Winamp will locate the album/artist/track and neatly put them in a folder of that album. I rather have the software find the album/artist/track rather then do it yourself as you could make a mistake in sorting and naming it the wrong way. So what is awesome for a few days might not be for the long haul. Plus I already have the cd already I just like to have the music and that is all I need. I think that is what most music listeners like to have cause they already have the physical case and cd already.[/QUOTE]

It seems that you are missing my point. The info that Musicnizer shows is not about customizing. For instance, it allows you to get a review of an album AND a bio/discography of its artist.
Concerning “adding albums”: it simply means entering the name of an album into the program. And then Musicnizer searches information on the internet and adds a new entry to its database (your music collection). By the way, there are several ways to add an album besides entering its name: you can simply let the program locate audio files (as Winamp does), or insert an Audio CD and its data will be read into the database, or scan a barcode off the box using a webcam (I haven’t tried yet). Whatever the method, the program recognizes the album and gets information on the net, if you set it so. I think such functionality deserves the word “awesome”.
And there is no problem in keeping your collection on the physical CDs. It can be just useful to have a catalogue of what you have and where it is located, along with descriptions and biographies.