Software to get more info about a disc?

vbimport

This seems to be a good thread to ask this.
I found this because I have a DVD disc I wanted to identify.
So far no luck with this or Nero InfoTool , CD/DVD Speed . or ImgBurn.

I wanted to know if this program is or was actually sponsored by CDFreaks .
If so how about a list of programs that are sponsered .
Might be some old gold nuggets I’ve missed.
This is it;
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com

[QUOTE=cholla;2746940]This seems to be a good thread to ask this.
I found this because I have a DVD disc I wanted to identify.
So far no luck with this or Nero InfoTool , CD/DVD Speed . or ImgBurn.

I wanted to know if this program is or was actually sponsored by CDFreaks .
If so how about a list of programs that are sponsered .
Might be some old gold nuggets I’ve missed.
This is it;
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com[/QUOTE]
DVD Identifier, now that’s going back a while… to the earliest days of DVD±R. It was written by Kris Schoofs and I think only hosted by CDFreaks.

Does CD/DVD Speed etc. not show the MID? Or is it just that you don’t know whose MID code it is?

DVD Identifier can only read the same disc information (MID) that CD/DVD Speed & co. can. The difference is its database of which manufacturer owns which MID. But it can’t tell you who actually made the disc, or if the drive can’t read the MID.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2746956] Does CD/DVD Speed etc. not show the MID? [/QUOTE]
No

[QUOTE=Ibex;2746956]
Or is it just that you don’t know whose MID code it is?[/QUOTE]
No MID

[QUOTE=Ibex;2746956]The difference is its database of which manufacturer owns which MID. But it can’t tell you who actually made the disc, or if the drive can’t read the MID.[/QUOTE]
I’m unsure about these DVDs . I probably should have started a seperat thread but a couple of posts shouldn’t make too much difference.
I can always ask a mod to split these posts off.

These DVDs are from a TV series set I bought quite a while back.
I should have checked better but they looked like a commercial set.
Nice packaging. Same for the labels on the discs . Play & look good .

I was making a backup to a hard drive so I could play from it. One disc had a problem so I decided to see if I could get some information.
I started with Nero InfoTool.The others report some of the same but no additional information.

It doesn’t show if this DVD is a + or - R but shows Nero Burning ROM as the application .
So it must be a writable DVD & not pressed.

This is the best camera shot I could take.
The Chinese or Japanese characters show up some & (10) .
Also a DVD Video logo.
No barcodes.

Maybe pepst will see this & take a look at it.

[QUOTE=cholla;2746960]No

No MID

I’m unsure about these DVDs . I probably should have started a seperat thread but a couple of posts shouldn’t make too much difference.
I can always ask a mod to split these posts off.

These DVDs are from a TV series set I bought quite a while back.
I should have checked better but they looked like a commercial set.
Nice packaging. Same for the labels on the discs . Play & look good .

I was making a backup to a hard drive so I could play from it. One disc had a …[snip][/QUOTE]That looks like someone used Nero to create an initial master disc, then made pressed discs based on that master.

[QUOTE=cholla;2746960]
It doesn’t show if this DVD is a + or - R but shows Nero Burning ROM as the application .
So it must be a writable DVD & not pressed.

This is the best camera shot I could take.
The Chinese or Japanese characters show up some & (10) .
Also a DVD Video logo.
No barcodes.

Maybe pepst will see this & take a look at it.[/QUOTE]
I agree with [B][I]Wiki[/I]bert[/B].

The disc in your photo definitely looks like a pressed DVD.

If they used Nero to make a DVD±R master then made an image of it, the production pressed DVDs would show that information.

You can test it for yourself. If you make an image of a disc, then burn a disc from that image in different software, it will show the date & metadata from the original disc.

@[B]Albert[/B] - It might be worth creating a new thread from these posts for future reference.

I don’t disagree .
This was a new one for me.
Have either of you seen this before ?

What about the Chinese characters ?

Don’t most commercial pressed DVDs have a sort of “bar code” around the center?
In about the same area as the Chinese characters ?

[QUOTE=cholla;2746965]I don’t disagree .
This was a new one for me.
Have either of you seen this before ?

What about the Chinese characters ?

Don’t most commercial pressed DVDs have a sort of “bar code” around the center?
In about the same area as the Chinese characters ?[/QUOTE]
Most commercial discs have a registered UPC/EAN number - a unique 12/13 digit number that allows sales of a product to be tracked.

But it isn’t essential. Quite a few discs which are not destined for widespread mainstream release don’t have them.

The oriental characters are unusual (don’t know if they are Chinese or Japanese). Maybe it is a dodgy Chinese pirate copy after all, but on a pressed DVD?

Or maybe it was produced by a small inexperienced publisher, who made an in-house DVD±R master and sent it to a factory in the far east who could manufacture the stamper and do a small production run at a reasonable price.

If the DVD contains The West Wing or 24, I would suspect piracy. But if it is something more unusual from a smaller company, they are probably legitimate.

It’s from a boxed MASH set of all 11 seasons.
Nicely done. I could probably take some pictures of it.

[moved a few posts into this thread from http://club.myce.com/f94/10-software-applications-you-once-loved-but-now-forgot-about-338144/ … this was my best guess for a good place to discuss the topic.]

@ Albert . As good a place as any & better than in the thread it was in.

I included disc #1 there are 33 discs.
I’ve had them a long time but I think I bought them from an ebay “store”.
They appear to be retail but I guess they could be a set pirated in China.
I think Albert got it correct the master was made with Nero Burning ROM.
Then that was used for the pressed discs.
If someone has a different answer I would be interested in reading it.

This is what the set looks like:

These are pics of the disc :

More Chinese characters & some English too.

It is a rather nice set. :clap:

[O/T] I used to enjoy MASH. I remember staying up late after lights out on a school trip when I was 9 to watch it. Had to keep the volume down and hit mute every time a patrolling teacher came past. :bigsmile: The TV version was rather tame compared with the film, but it was very very funny in a rather dark way. When it was broadcast in the UK they left out the laughter track, which I think suited the humour much better.

Did a search for the ISRC printed on the disc, and it appears to have been used by local publishers on at least half a dozen completely different DVD sets. That, and the fact the discs appear to be marked region 1, goes against the theory that they were made for the Chinese domestic market.

Are the discs actually region 1? And do they have CSS protection? AnyDVD or Passkey should be able to tell you. (I’m just curious, these features are far beyond what Nero & general purpose DVD writers can do.)

@ Ibex , This is from AnyDVD:

Summary for drive D: (AnyDVD HD 7.5.7.0, BDPHash.bin 14-11-27)
BENQ DVD DD DW1650 BCIC 811018411810A0U30603
Drive (Hardware) Region: free

Current profile: DVD-ROM
Media is a DVD.
Booktype: dvd-rom (version 1), Layers: 1
Total size: 2286128 sectors (4465 MBytes)

Video DVD (or CD) label: DVD_VIDEO
Media is not CSS protected.
Media is region free.
Video Standard: NTSC

Structural copy protection not found.
RCE protection not found.
UDF filesystem patched!
Autorun not found on Video DVD.
Bad sector protection not found.
Emulating RPC-2 drive with region 1!

Thanks Cholla. :flower:

All things considered, it looks like it is an unofficial edition. But a rather nice upmarket one that would appeal to a collector.

Make yourself a surgical spirit martini and enjoy the next 108 hours. :iagree::cool:

My set has the laughter track.
I watched MAS*H when it was a new series.
Then in reruns .
What I noticed when I watched the set is the reruns cut out small parts to show more commercials . These small parts are sometimes necessary & just make it better in general. It shows that TV stations are willing to cheat their viewers.

On the martini ; I’m more of a beer drinker when I do drink . More likely it would be a soda .
If I drink a mixed cocktail it would probably be a Margarita . If it was gin probably a Gin Rickey . What they made on MASH was closer to “moonshine” but I doubt as good. I have never had any “moonshine” but some people are supposed to make better than others. I have a feeling it is better than the Everclear they compare it to.

Your about right on the 108 hours each episode is 22 minutes on average with some a bit more. 8 per disc x 33 discs. The last disc has the series end which is movie length. I think they should have put the original movie in too but I guess that would have cost them more.

The original film is great - a war film with only one gunshot, and that was the referee at the football match. :clap::clap::cool: