Software that upconverts mpeg4 to 1080i/p on playback

vbimport

I have a bunch of music videos that are backed up from DVD. I chose to back them up in .mp4/.m4v (h.264) format. Most of the files are 720 x 480. I would like them to playback at 1080i/p. They play great in itune, WMP, VLC, neroshowtime, quicktime and just about anything else. So they seem to be universally compatible for the most part.

I’m wondering. Since most DVD players these days can upconvert a standard DVD to 1080i or 1080p during playback, I figured there might be software that will playback/upconvert mpeg4 at standard definition (720 x 480) to 1080i/p? This would be great since my computer has an HDMI output.

Why bother? If the source was 720 X 480, that’s all the ino there is. You’d be wasting storage to convert them to higher resolution. As far as upscaling, any software that can display at greater than 720 X 480 is already doing that. Your TV can also upscale.

[QUOTE=olyteddy;2187457]Why bother? If the source was 720 X 480, that’s all the ino there is. You’d be wasting storage to convert them to higher resolution. As far as upscaling, any software that can display at greater than 720 X 480 is already doing that. Your TV can also upscale.[/QUOTE]

No… there is a difference between “stretching” (which is what you are describing) and “upscaling”.

Bilinear, Bicubic, and Lanczos are all resampling methods used to upscale/upconvert. They do not just stretch the existing pixels. They actually create pixels to make a larger image. The end result is certainly not as good as if it were originally filmed in high def, but it is still much better than just stretching. Nero Recode can actually convert 720 x 480 to higher resolutions using these methods. However, I find Nero Recode has too many bugs. Also, I am not wanting to redo my entire collection I want something that will do the upconversion during playback just as a newer DVD players can.

I realize there are numerous algorithms to resize. I’m saying any HDTV worth a hoot will properly re-size by interpolating and not just repeat it. Likewise any Software player worth its salt will interpolate. With the TV doing it in Hardware or the player doing it in software there is no reason to waste the storage space and quality hit by re-encoding to a higher resolution…:flower: