Software or burner?

I have been using dvd fab for a few months now with great success. When I installed version 3.1.4.0 I started having a problem. I am using win xp with a sony dru-820a burner. The dvd’s seem to rip just fine maybe a tad bit slower that with the previous version but nothing alarming. The burn however is a lot slower. It will start the burn fine with good speed when it reaches about 4 minutes remaining it starts dropping its burn speed about .02 to .03 mb/s at a time until it finally drops to a snail like 1.7 mb/s. In short when it says I have 4 minutes remaining I have about 10 minutes or longewr remaining. When the discs finish burning they have 2 or 3 difinitive “burn rings” where as before it was a good solid burn (one ring visible at the end). The dvd’s seem to still play ok, for now anyway. I didn’t know if there is a possible software problem or if it is a burner problem. I greatly appreciate any help. Thanks

Hi goose and welcome to the forum,
Maybe you could go back to the previous version. If the problem still exists you should have your answer or at least have a little more to go on.

Hey goose, latest version is 3.1.4.5 beta, also what media are you using? in common settings set write speed to 8x or 12x…post a log… :slight_smile:

Hi goose and welcome to DVD Fab. Have you updated the firmware on your burner lately ? How long have you had the burner? I used 3.1.4.0 and didn’t have any problams backing up movie’s. Sounds like a burner issue. Like tOnee1 mentioned, post a burn log. And, how does the finished copy play with the burn rings ? Any skips, or playback flaws? Low quality media doesn’t have great dye and may run thin which will cause problems. Stick with Verbatim or Ty’s. ~ Mike

I got the burner for christmas last year and have not done a firmware update. I generally stick with memorex dvd+r. I don’t know how good those are but have had pretty good success with them so far. How do I go about posting a burn log? I will try changing the burn speed in the common settings, I have always just left it on recommended. Thanks for your help I am going to look to see if a firmware update is available.

Check Device Manager to make sure the IDE channel your burner is on is using DMA mode and not PIO mode.

Instructions for the burn log in the bottom link in my sig…

******************** Report session closed *********************
Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - SONY DVD RW DRU-820A 1.0b [D] (Ide)
Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37 Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
DLL Version 2.1.2.321
DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\vso_hwe.dll
Version 3 1 4 0
ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\DVDFabPlatinum.exe"
OS : Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
******************** Report session started ********************
******************** Report session closed *********************
Media removed. Burning layer not ready to write
Finalization Time 00:00:24 - Total completion time 00:20:12
Write finished in 00:19:48 - Finalization start here. Avg. burn rate 3.01
Lead-in burning time (mS) 0
Write started 2202416 sectors to write
Writing speed requested x16.0 effective x16.0
Available write speed: 16x 8x 4x 2.4x
Media ID: DAXON-AZ3-00
Media type: DVD+R
DMA Mode
Scanned files #30 folder #2 - total size 4509388800 b. (4.2 Gb.)
Inserted media type : DVD+R
Write started
New media inserted. Burning layer is ready to write
Compatible media types : DVD-R DVD-RW Seq. DVD-RW RO DVDRAM DVD+R DVD+RW CD-R CD-RW DL DVD+R DL DVD-R
New Drive selected : 1:0:0 - SONY DVD RW DRU-820A 1.0b [D] (Ide)
Current Drive selected : 1:0:0 - SONY DVD RW DRU-820A 1.0b [D] (Ide)
Using Patin-Couffin driver Version 1.37 Internal revision 37 - Async. Access mode
User default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
System default language : 1033 (0x0409h) - English (United States)
DLL Version 2.1.2.321
DLL C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\vso_hwe.dll
Version 3 1 4 0
ExeName : "C:\Program Files\DVDFab Platinum 3\DVDFabPlatinum.exe"
OS : Microsoft Windows XP Personal Service Pack 2 (Build 2600)
******************** Report session started ********************

I guess this is what I needed to post?

You got it! This log shows a successful burn but at way too high a speed for the Imation (DAXON AZ3) blanks. I have had good luck with them at 4X or 8X but wouldn’t go much faster. I agree with buds Ron, Mike and t0nee about the firmware upgrade for the Sony burner. The log indicates you are in DMA mode (as Les mentioned) so you are OK there.

/EDIT/ Sony does have new firmware available: Version 1.0C “Improvement: Writing performance and reliability improvements”. Here is the link http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/dru820adwn.htm

I found a firmware update on the sony site. It says to uninstall any packet writing software. Is that my nero and dvdfab software? Also I saw previously mentioned to try verbatim media, any others that are recommended? I really appreciate all the help, thanks

Although I’ve never tried them personelly, Ty Yuden’s are supposed to be the best on the market. I’m not sure about uninstalling anything so’s you can do an update. I never have. So I’m not sure what to tell ya about that. But I’d definately do the update goose. Good luck ! ~ Mike

Sorry to be so slow getting back to you, and thanks to Mike for helping out–I am on the road this week and internet connections are spotty. I have never heard an instruction like that for a firmware upgrade. See if you can email Sony or look in the burner forum for some more info. Did they mean uninstall it forever or just for the upgrade? DVDFab will write in packet mode, but it can be set to SAO in Common Settings–>Write. I have used both but normally just leave it set to SAO.

Hi goose,

I echo signals’ and others’ comments and suggestions…pretty bizarre instructions re: the firmware to say the least.
Packet writing software can cause conflicts for sure…many users have conflicts and many do not.
If you have nero InCD, definitely uninstall it. Sonic and roxio frequently are right at the top of our list of “usual suspects”. Like signals, I’ve used both packet and SAO within Fab and never had a problem, but I’d stick with SAO as he said. In short, get rid of any of these packet writing softwares…you can always reinstall.
I would also recommend running a registry cleaner should you do these uninstalls. (Regseeker is a good choice, it’s free and very effective…link in my sig).
Roxio, in particular, can be exceedingly difficult to get rid of…if you have trouble…here’s a guide. Follow steps 1-6 for a clean uninstall, step 7 is a reinstall :eek: :
http://kb.roxio.com/content/kb/Creator/000086CR.

It’s tough to say exactly where your system bottlenecks and slows to a crawl, but updating your firmware, uninstalling unneeded burning software (packet) and changing your blank media are reasonable first steps.
Like Mike said, TY’s and Verbs are held out as the front runners for overall quality…doesn’t mean there aren’t others though. Also, as good as TY’s are, there’s still no guarantee they’ll burn or play well with your hardware.
I know one of the mods who could never get TY’s to work in one his burners, crap media worked though, go figure… :bigsmile:
AFAIK, TY’s are only available online unless you live in Japan… :bigsmile:
Verbs are plentiful and cheap (look for the sales…Best Buy, Office Max, etc., and online) and check for media sales right here on cdf,
CD Freaks Bargain Basement
Memorex have multiple manufacturers and are widely inconsistent, even within the same spindle, ie., zero quality control. While you have had pretty decent luck with them, I assure you, you will have bad luck as well.
I think we’ve all been there with memorex, I know I have… :rolleyes:

Anyway, good luck and let us know…

Hi again goose,

I looked around a bit and it seems your sony DRU-820A is a rebadged Benq 1670 with a panasonic chipset. You may want to take a look at this thread for some info:

BenQ DW1670, Sony DRU-820A and I/O Magic (DW1670 OEM) crossflash!

Keep in mind any firmware flash with anything but the “official” fw will void your warranty…may be a moot point though?

Hope this helps.

What is the difference between packet and SAO? I updated my firmware and still get the same result. I have noticed (comparing disc to disc) the “burn rings” seem to be in the exact same spot on every disc that I have tried. I am goin to pick up some verbatim and see if the problem persists.

Look at this page and see if your burns look like any of the shown DISCS. Also more good information.

http://www.supermediastore.com/how-to-tell-if-bad-disc.html

I couldn’t get the verbatim at my local store but i picked up some sony and maxell. neither of them showed the burn rings but still slowed way down once i got to the 4:30 remaining mark. on my next attempt i had it burn using nero burning rom and it seemed to burn pretty quick. so i guess if that is what works that is what i will stick with. i appreciate everybody’s input and help

i have had the same problems with the newer versions of dvdfab software it slows way down and when it is done i play it and the quality is crappy and pixelated and i use sony media

so far I haven’t had poor quality playback just the funny looking burn rings in the memorex media and slow burn speeds using the default fab burning software. so far the nero burning rom seems to be working out