Software for editing & burning CD’s & DVD’s

vbimport

Dear Friends,
Well I need your help again. I’ve already asked you (and you’ve been good enough to respond) about transferring VHS to DVD and about Copying and burning DVD’s. I’m trying to figure out the best software to use for one or both of these processes (you can look at some of my previous posts if you want to see my original questions). I already have Nero Express 6 (it came with my CD burner), but was thinking about The Nero 6 full version for doing both processes. Here’s my problem, I’m sorry to show my ignorance but I don’t know what OEM means, and what the difference is between it and regular versions (besides price). I think it means regular version without support, but I’m not sure. Please advise me as to what the difference is and if Nero 6 is what I’m looking for, or if there is a better product.
Thanks ahead of time, & God Bless
Uncle Bob

OEM stands for “Original Equipment Manufacturer”. For software, it means a version bundled (or intended by the software producer to be bundled) with new hardware. The licence conditions of OEM software usually has various restrictions in, some of which are of arguable legality.

Often OEM versions are all but the same as the non-OEM version. For example, Windows is the same whether it’s an OEM or retail copy apart from the support offered by Microsoft. Office is pretty much the same, but on some versions, some of the OEM editions are a little different (for example, the OEM version of Office XP Professional includes Publisher, whereas the standard version doesn’t).

With Nero 6, the OEM version is somewhat cut down. It only supports the use of one recorder at once (the full version supports the use of four simultaneous recorders). The OEM version doesn’t allow you to use the main Nero program - just Nero Express. There’s no antivirus support in an OEM version, nor do all the plug-ins work. I think some of the audio and video functions are limited in the OEM version as well - that could be relevant to what you’re thinking of doing here.

If you have an OEM version of Nero, you will probably find certain features are disabled when you try to use them - you’ll probably get an error message saying that your licence doesn’t allow what you want to do. You can solve this by buying an upgrade to the full version online.

David