Software error

vbimport

hello friends
I have a problem with my external drive. Since this morning it has developed a fault, preventing me from deleting file and coming up with the message “Data Error (cyclic redundancy check)”. Also it has become extremely slow when copying from this drive to the computer.I have a tremendous amount of data on this drive and don’t want to lose any. I hasten to add that I dropped the damn thing from a height of about 1 foot.
Please help. :sad:

You need to retrieve the data as quickly as you can before it dies. If it gets to the point that you cannot move files from it, you can try a recovery program. GetDataBack is a commercial program for this, but others will probably chip in with some free options that they use.

Its that or do nothing with the drive at all, and send it to a data recovery service. This could be extremely expensive.

Piriform (The Company that brings us Ccleaner) has a data recovery program
that works quite well, it’s called “Recuva” and it is available from the publisher HERE:

http://www.piriform.com/recuva

After you followed the advice from both Kerry and Allan,check the drive with HdSentinel/ to find out if it’s still repairable…

Kerry and all those who have offered help. I did manage to recover some of the lost data (photos, mostly, of the family, otherwise I wouldn’t have made such fuss) with Recuva. Thanks for your advice. I am on the way to buy a new external hard drive. Thanks a lot again

[QUOTE=linogatt;2720722]Kerry and all those who have offered help. I did manage to recover some of the lost data (photos, mostly, of the family, otherwise I wouldn’t have made such fuss) with Recuva. Thanks for your advice. I am on the way to buy a new external hard drive. Thanks a lot again[/QUOTE]

Don’t forget to get a good back-up software program so you don’t have to go through this again.