Software backup

I am not sure if this is even the rite place to ask or find out but my research leads me to believe there are some fairly smart and nice people here so I thought I would give it a shot. I want to copy/backup programs I have on my hard drive before I reformat. I can’t find the original disks for some of them (I suspect I have lost them in my move). I would like to copy the complete program including the install files etc to a cd or dvd so I can load/reload them when ever I need to. I understand that some of the programs are HUGE and will require multiple disks even if I use 4.7 gig dvd so I need to know how to get them to copy on to multiple sequential disks. Can anyone help me with this or send me in the rite direction? I have a liteon 20X dvd burner, ridata 16X dvd+R dvd’s, 1 click dvd and nero6 ultra burning softwares.

Thanks a bunch,

Lee :):slight_smile:

Welcome to the forum Lee. If you did not make a copy of the install disk chances are slim to none, IMHO, as to copying the program files and having them work on a new install. If you do a repair install your programs will still be available.

[QUOTE=merchantman;1919476]I am not sure if this is even the rite place to ask or find out but my research leads me to believe there are some fairly smart and nice people here so I thought I would give it a shot. I want to copy/backup programs I have on my hard drive before I reformat. I can’t find the original disks for some of them (I suspect I have lost them in my move). I would like to copy the complete program including the install files etc to a cd or dvd so I can load/reload them when ever I need to. I understand that some of the programs are HUGE and will require multiple disks even if I use 4.7 gig dvd so I need to know how to get them to copy on to multiple sequential disks. Can anyone help me with this or send me in the rite direction? I have a liteon 20X dvd burner, ridata 16X dvd+R dvd’s, 1 click dvd and nero6 ultra burning softwares.

Thanks a bunch,

Lee :):)[/QUOTE]

Were here to help much as we can…
In theory that should work but as with any program installations it’s programs is located in the folder installed for it and also in the windows directory as well…so you would be able to get your files copied but without certain bits and pieces missing from the complete software to operate correctly and possible corrupting your system in the process of trying to fix it. But if you still have your serial or registration on your computer write those down when you open each program application. You should save only the data files and created files you made. Then go to the web and locate the program manufacture and download the program and when you go back to install the program again…just load back the data or files back into the correct folder and then you would be back and running again…this is the best option as it will reduce your down time and headache trying to get your program working again…this is the way I would recommend those who aren’t familiar with making a image. Also with the size of those files would cost alot of time and money for you…also it assumes that there is noting corrupted or missing from your folders when you copy them to the DVD and back to computer…so unless they are 100% free of corrupt or bad files then go ahead but if your not sure, I would still recommend to take the advice of saving your data files and files your created and then go to net and download the programs you had installed and then reinstall them (but remember to write down the serial and registration of those program so you will have them when the installation ask for the serial and registration) , then copy the data files and files you created into the appropriate folder location in each program folders and then start the program and see if it can locate or you locate them and see if the program will see them if it does then your ready to go. But make sure you have the same version or if the version is newer makes sure it will recognize your data files created by the previous software…I guess I wait to see after your reading this to see what you decide on doing…

well I guess I can only hope for the best and pray all the software has full trial versions I can download and register to make them work rite. I figured that was all there was to be done but it never hurts to ask people smarter than me! thanks again

Lee

I back up my original disks/downloads and registration/keys on flash drives and save them in fireproof safe just in case.

[QUOTE=merchantman;1919524]well I guess I can only hope for the best and pray all the software has full trial versions I can download and register to make them work rite. I figured that was all there was to be done but it never hurts to ask people smarter than me! thanks again

Lee[/QUOTE]

Yes, I know this probably wasn’t the answer you were looking for but only saving your data or file created is the best as this will allow you to load it back into the program to run them. J/w I never heard of full trial versions? Only most I know are programs come as trial versions in which you register the program with the serial or registration code to switch it over to full or unrestricted usage? But since I don’t know what programs your relating to I don’t know what they are referring to.

[QUOTE=tgidday;1919529]I back up my original disks/downloads and registration/keys on flash drives and save them in fireproof safe just in case.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunatly flash drive are suspectible to static discharge and wiping the memory or rendering the drive usable and also dropping it will also kill or break the flashdrive as well…rather burn that information to a CD/DVD and put that in a good case or make a printed form of the registration/keys/serials is another way to keep it handy in case you hardware fails to read the CD/DVD/Flashdrive…

I myself have copied all my d/l files of programs and SW to a special folder and every so often I will burn them to a CD or DVD and when I have had to reformat my HD (twice in the last 10 years) I just copied the special folder to my HD then installed the programs from there and it has always worked out for me (thank goodness):bigsmile::bigsmile::bigsmile: