Soft read errors?

vbimport

I have a problem that I find strange: I’ve tried 2 different DVD burners on a Asus P4C800 PC using SATA RAID0 for the disk drives and IDE for the CD and DVD drives. When I write the DVDs and check them with CD/DVD Inspector I get a soft-error rate of up to 50% When I take the same burned DVD to a friends Samsung DVD burner, he gets less than 1% read errors. This is on a LG 4160B, before I tried with a TDK, very similar story. Is the problem with the MB ?

Thanks, Roland

Your motherboard would not be one of the first things that I would suspect as the problem. I’m not farmiliar with cd/dvd inspector. Perhaps someone else is. Just a thought though, you could download cdspeed (free) and posts scans.
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=96285
Quite a few people here are farmiliar with cdspeed scans and would be able to tell you how well the burns error rate falls within what is considered to be acceptable.
Does the disk play ok? If the burn is not reading well on the samsung, I would be more suspect of things like your drive doesn’t like to burn that media, his drive doesn’t like to read that media, his drive doesn’t like the way your drive burned that media etc. dvd’s are not very well standardised between diffrent drives and diffrent medias.
I would also sugest finding out the media code of the disks that you are using (the true manufacture and make). Brand name is no guarentee of quality as they don’t make most of thier own media. This free program will tell you the media code.
http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Yes it sounds like you have a MB problem! Soft-error = these errors can occur when the data being processed is hit with a noise phenomenon, normally when the data is on a data bus, the computer tries to interpret the noise as a data bit, which can cause errors in addressing or processing program code.

A few things you can try : 1/ Cold Boot your machine before you do the scan some times it can fix Soft-error problems. 2/ Put your friends Samsung DVD burner in your machine and try to run the scan. 3/ activate the trace in CD/DVD Inspector and send the trace file to Infinadyne normally they are very good in finding a solution.

I tried CD SPeed, but it seems LG 4160 isn’t one of the supported drives. It’s not on the list and when I try to run the test, the “Start” butoon is greyd out. What could be wrong with the MB ?

Thanks, Roland

Forgive my ignorance but I did a little reading on what soft errors are (I’m a very slightly farmiliar with soft errors caused by memory but have never heard them called that and not farmiliar with bus soft errors caused by noise). From what I understand soft errors are, based on having just read a little about it, I wonder, how could you possibly know from scanning a dvd disk that the computer had soft errors? As I understand it, soft errors are single bit errors where the value of a single bit has changed due to causes such as radioactive decay (in old chips) or static electricity, or noise on the bus is interpreted as data (not sure if that noise is caused by radio interference from another electronic device or damage to the bus).
It would seem to me that if you had a bad soft noise problem then all kinds of data would be getting corupted on your computer and it would be constantlly crashing. Have you had any problems with your computer?
I wonder if cd/dvd inspector is using the term “soft errors” to describe single bit errors when reading the disk? In other words it is just reading the disk and reporting exactly how many bits it reads that seem to be eronious?
If that is what it is doing, would it be possible that the errors are just normal errors? Dvd’s always have errors, even pressed (prerecorded) dvds. Error corection is built into the dvd format. Even a little scratch on the disk can cause some data to become unreadable and cause errors.
Read this on dvd errors
http://forum.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=80545
Further, even if your system is working perfectlly, using cheap media or media that is not compatible with your drive/firmware will cause extensive errors.
This media is considered one of the best and there was nothing wrong with the drive that burned it but it had very high errors because the firmware didn’t support it.
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/image/33646855
As you can see, there were 11618774 errors that were technically recoverable and 201680 unrecoverable (thats a LOT of errors). This disk is completely unreadable of course.
Here is the same type of disk on the same drive after a firmware update
http://www.pbase.com/richardh/image/33714120
errors were 74061 and 622 (substantially less because the firmware update fixed a compatibility problem, not because the hardware or media was defective).
I don’t know enough about soft errors to say that you do not have a hardware problem but I still suspect that what you are seeing are normal errors (it could be a bad burn though, for reasons not related to hardware falure).
I would try to find out a little more about what cd/dvd inspector is reporting as soft errors and how they are suposed to be interpreted. After all, maybe I am wrong here, but how could you say that a single bit error found scanning a dvd was caused by a soft error on your computer, and not just a normal dvd data error? Is you system having problems (crashes and data coruption on the computer) that would indicate soft errors are occuring?
Anybody that is more of an expert in this area want to coment?

I just ran across this
The last of the mentioned programs, CD/DVD Diagnostic offers a unique method to check for errors. It performs what the program calls a readability test. During this test, the program basically disables many of the data recovering methods normally used by the reading drive. It then reports on what is called soft and hard errors. Soft errors are those that the reading drive normally would correct without informing the computer. Hard errors are those that may be recovered from if additional reads of the disc are made. CD/DVD Diagnostic and its more expensive counterpart CD/DVD Inspector provide a statistical model of the tests performed to determine if a disc is good or bad. Following the instructions of the program, I found on that newly created discs burned at speeds between 4x and 16x produced little or no errors whatsoever. Soft errors did occur with a discs burned at 32x and above on certain burners, indicating that faster burn speeds produce read errors in various drives. Also, the Rimage-created disc noted previously as having higher jitter levels also produced higher amounts of soft errors using this program.
It would seem that I am corect. What they are calling soft errors are completly diffrent than normal hardware soft errors. There is nothing wrong with your motherboard. “soft error” is meerly a term used to describe a certain type of read error when this program scans a disk.
Fyi this was cut and pasted from this
http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0OUK/is_4_10/ai_115076404/pg_2