Soft foam-plastic inserts for multi-CD jewel cases?

vbimport

Some multi-CD jewel cases include a fairly thin, pliable square of a plastic material, sponge like in texture, to help hold each CD in place.

Those squares disintegrate with age. I have some that need replacement.

What are they called and where might one obtain them? or obtain a similar material and cut out the right size squares?

Can you post a picture? It is not clear what you are referring to

[QUOTE=geno888;2651176]Can you post a picture? It is not clear what you are referring to[/QUOTE]

Here’s a picture (which for unknown reasons appears here UPSIDE-DOWN!) showing one of these inserts moved out of position. You can see another one in place under the tray.

Now I understand what you are referring to :slight_smile:

I saw this in Decca’s double CDs, and is a foam rubber material, but actually for what I know it is not necessary at all, so you can also remove it safely. I never understood why they put that foam inside the box :confused: Maybe to protect the booklet inside?

[QUOTE=geno888;2651313]Now I understand what you are referring to :slight_smile:

I saw this in Decca’s double CDs, and is a foam rubber material, but actually for what I know it is not necessary at all, so you can also remove it safely. I never understood why they put that foam inside the box :confused: Maybe to protect the booklet inside?[/QUOTE]

In case the CD comes loose from its hub - which can easily happen - the foam insert applies a bit of pressure against the label side to help keep the CD from moving around and getting scratched.

This is of particular use when the CD is being shipped - or, as will be the situation in my case - being moved a distance.

I’ve never actually seen those available separately.

That’s not to say they’re impossible to get but it could be that they’re only available in bulk to CD manufacturers.

Perhaps a section of bubble wrap would do as a cheap alternative?

[B]Wombler[/B]

I think that there is nothing special in that material. Any generic foam rubber material can be used, even if I still think that is not mandatory to have that inside the box.

I think that a DIY store can be a good place where to look :slight_smile:

DIY = do it yourself, I hope I translated it correctly, I’m not sure how these stores are called exactly :flower:

I believe the original material is a closed cell foam made from polyethylene.

If that is NOT the original material it’s what I would use in it’s place.

Anyone who buys a new LCD monitor, new TV or a computer case gets a couple of square yards of the stuff, that thin waxy feeling foam…

Got an aluminum ruler and a razor blade?

or to be more neat a paper cutter?

[QUOTE=AllanDeGroot;2654275]I believe the original material is a closed cell foam made from polyethylene.

If that is NOT the original material it’s what I would use in it’s place.

Anyone who buys a new LCD monitor, new TV or a computer case gets a couple of square yards of the stuff, that thin waxy feeling foam…

Got an aluminum ruler and a razor blade?

or to be more neat a paper cutter?[/QUOTE]

I don’t have any such extra material. Any idea of who supplies it?

I’ve just had another idea.

You can buy rolls of that sort of stuff here as underlay for laminate flooring so your local DIY store might be a good place to check out.

[B]Wombler[/B]

[QUOTE=Wombler;2654305]I’ve just had another idea.

You can buy rolls of that sort of stuff here as underlay for laminate flooring so your local DIY store might be a good place to check out.

[B]Wombler[/B][/QUOTE]

If I went into such a store, what would I ask for in terms that they would understand?

[QUOTE=murrayE;2654315]If I went into such a store, what would I ask for in terms that they would understand?[/QUOTE]

I’m not 100% sure what the terminology for this would be in the US but underlayment would appear to be the correct term.

Here’s some of the correct stuff I bought in the UK.

And here’s what would appear to be the equivalent in the US although it’s hard to see properly from the photo so you’d probably have to go and look at it.

[B]Wombler[/B]