Society improvements

vbimport

I bumped into this article on The Register where Mr. Lasser of SecurityFocus is quoted :

Give up on the notion that computer security can be improved by putting more people in prison, argues Jon Lasser, SecurityFocus columnist.

And i’m hearing myself think…

Does a society improve by getting rid of people who disagree with it ?

Disclaimer :

No ranting about current events and politics. I’ll delete everything that is even remotely offending any molecular structure in the galaxy , (even fictional things like centaurs , androids and wizards) , except when used as a clear example to explain things.

The androids and their creators, the wizards, in their quest for domination have long oppressed the centaurs and must be punished! We cannot sit idly by while their aggressive tactics and ruthless killing sprees continue! Rise up and help the centaur’s! :slight_smile:

I believe that in certain cases where an individual is detrimental to the welfare of a society that is enjoyed by the majority, then a prison sentence is necessary. However, an argument will spring up, what about people like Ghandi? In his case his was the majority position, and thus had the right to rebel against the society that was set up by the British in India.

However, if you have some insane guy from some anti-government group willing to go around shooting people, then he should be jailed because he is not helping the society of the majority.

A tough topic, alot of counter arguments can be made.

Originally posted by Flying Dutchman
[B]The androids and their creators, the wizards, in their quest for domination have long oppressed the centaurs and must be punished! We cannot sit idly by while their aggressive tactics and ruthless killing sprees continue! Rise up and help the centaur’s! :slight_smile:

[/B]

rotfl… beautiful put :slight_smile: You’re forgiven :slight_smile:

[B]
I believe that in certain cases where an individual is detrimental to the welfare of a society that is enjoyed by the majority, then a prison sentence is necessary. However, an argument will spring up, what about people like Ghandi? In his case his was the majority position, and thus had the right to rebel against the society that was set up by the British in India.

[/B]

Indeed. The kind of protests Ghandi did was one of the most peaceful protests i’ve known. There is always some manipulation necessary to get people to join “your cause” and to explain to those who are against it that they are wrong. However, it is amazing to see what he could accomplish. But he was a dangerous man to those who had the power at the time.

However, if you have some insane guy from some anti-government group willing to go around shooting people, then he should be jailed because he is not helping the society of the majority.

I doubt he (or she) is indeed helping the society , but there will always be people who are against his actions and there might even be some who agree to it. Starting a massacre is however not really a good way to start. Perhaps the nutcases believe more in the 15 minutes of fame than the greater good of society.

A tough topic, alot of counter arguments can be made.

It gets really tough when society thinks there was a major reason for the nutcase , such as religion , beliefs or agressive protest.

I wonder why that same society might arrest that person , put him into jail , give him time to write a book about it ; So that when he (if ever) comes free , he’s made millions of that bestseller and is now directing the movie about it. Sounds extrelemy weird , doesn’t it ?