So what precisely IS the deal with the NForce IDE drivers?

vbimport

I’ve searched on the boards, and found everything from “makes 'em super duper well” to “OMG it’s going to crash your hard drive and cause Nevada to implode!” in reference to the NForce2 IDE drivers - and most of the comments are negative. Given that I’m a n00blet, then, I get exceptionally confused, given:

1. Most advice being given is to either stay far away from the NForce IDE drivers, or if you’ve already installed them, uninstall and revert back to the MS default drivers ASAP to prevent BSoD and the imminent implosion of Nevada;

2. When I try and burn a disk with my burner (OptoWrite CW4802) using the Win2K default IDE drivers, my record buffer is all over the place - literally goes from 100% down to around 5-10% before shooting back up - and tends to burn slower, but when I’ve installed the 3.13 NForce IDE drivers, my record buffer never drops below 93% and it burns any discs that it’s capable of just fine at full speed. (Not that that’s too many, but hey.)

So what’s the deal here? Is this an abberation? When I get my DVD burner in a couple of weeks, will I begin to see problems with the NForce drivers installed, or is all this mass-hysteria cats-and-dogs-living-together hoopla over the NForce stuff prompted by older drivers? Should I go ahead and upgrade my NForce IDE drivers from the current 3.13 to 4.12 that just released a month or so ago and see if I still have issues? Am I just incredibly lucky that it doesn’t barf on me on a regular basis?

Sorry for the n00blet question; I wasn’t certain whether this should go here (most of the question being about the NForce hardware, rather than a specific burner), or in the Recording Hardware forum, so if it’s in the wrong place, please move it and let me know which one takes precedence. :slight_smile:

This is not a black and white situation, meaning that it is quite normal for people to have mixed results using the NForce drivers. It is true they are reported to cause problems, that doesnt mean that they cause trouble to all users.

If you find that you have no problems with these drivers when you get your drive, by all means you should continue using them. If you start getting problems you will have a good starting point in troubleshooting :wink:

Btw your problems with the MSdrivers is probably due to the fact that while reverting to them your DMA settings get stuck on PIO.

Thanks for the info.

I’m reasonably certain that that wasn’t the issue, but I’d need to retest it. The problem was noticed prior to ever installing the NForce drivers (I didn’t know about them for a good 6 months), but I admit that I’m not overly diligent in checking to make sure that Win2K is seeing my drives in DMA mode instead of PIO; I generally just go by the BIOS detection.

But yes, thanks muchly, that’s pretty much what I was looking for. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Quick little followup. Went ahead and rolled back to the MS drivers to see if the latest batch of blank CD-Rs I bought were failing with a NO SEEK COMPLETE in CDSpeed due to the NVidia drivers, and that wasn’t the cause of it. It DID automatically set my burner and DVD-ROM drive to PIO Only mode, though, so that would explain the fluctuating buffer.

Thanks again for assistance!