So, what laptop/notebook do you want?

vbimport

I’m in the market for a 12-13 inch model, which for me offers the best portability/comfort ratio, and the HP DV3-2250EDis currently high on my wish list.

Really curious to see what laptops other people are looking for. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what might be a good alternative? This model is currently priced around the 730 - 750 euros due to a manufacturer discount by HP (-100 EUR).

The best compromise between portability and function, and price, in my opinion is the 14 inch.
Best brands to check out should be Toshiba and ASUS, and maybe Sony.

If you really want portability (you ride a lot for example). then you should probably look into the the net-books…

[QUOTE=deanimator;2478080]
If you really want portability (you ride a lot for example). then you should probably look into the the net-books…[/QUOTE]

I really love netbooks - especially for their price!:bigsmile:

Though I don’t own one currently, I’m definitely planning on getting one.

[QUOTE=BussyB;2477893]I’m in the market for a 12-13 inch model, which for me offers the best portability/comfort ratio, and the HP DV3-2250EDis currently high on my wish list. [/QUOTE]
Why such is on my ignore list:

[ol]
[li]It’s a HP Pavilion
[/li][li]The mirror in my bathroom is larger and less expensive :wink:
[/li][/ol]

[QUOTE=deanimator;2478080]Best brands to check out should be Toshiba and ASUS, and maybe Sony.[/quote]You know the reputation of Asus support? :wink:

If you really want portability (you ride a lot for example). then you should probably look into the the net-books…
Only if you like the 600px vertical resolution. :Z

I find these new CULV systems interesting, especially the non-glossy models :iagree:

Michael

I just bought the Asus 1005 HA for 299 euro, works perfect! Battery is good as well.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2478127]
I find these new CULV systems interesting, especially the non-glossy models :iagree:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Thanks for your input Michael. I wasn’t aware that HP Pavilions are bad received products? Well, I haven’t spend my money yet, so could you tell me more on those CULV systems?
:slight_smile:

[QUOTE=BussyB;2478142]Thanks for your input Michael. I wasn’t aware that HP Pavilions are bad received products?[/quote]They like to run hot, and customer support leaves much to desire either. HP’s business models seem to be far better, including the support.

Well, I haven’t spend my money yet, so could you tell me more on those CULV systems?
:slight_smile:
Have a look at Acer’s Travelmate Timeline series in order to get an idea. Other manufacturers should have similar systems in their product range.
I a nutshell, these CULV CPUs fill the gap between the low power Atoms and the Pentiums.

Michael

[QUOTE=MP|3;2478131]I just bought the Asus 1005 HA for 299 euro, works perfect! Battery is good as well.[/QUOTE]

I bought the Asus 1000 HE for less than $400 due to the easy Ram and HDD upgrade, works great so is the battery life.

We bought an ACER AS1410T for our daughters Christmas.
We looked at many 10 inch netbooks with the Atom CPU, but decided after we looked at what she would be doing with the PC, the Atom and screensize was going to be restrictive, but she also didn’t want anything as big as laptop.

The ACER AS1410T has an 11.6 inch LED back-lite screen.
Intel Celeron CPU
3GB of ram 4GB max
160GB HDD
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
6 hours battery charge
Total cost: £349 and the shop threw in a free slipbag.

[EDIT] ooops forgot the link. :slight_smile:
http://www.comet.co.uk/shopcomet/product/598275/ACER-AS1410T

[QUOTE=Dee;2478172]
Total cost: £349 and the shop threw in a fee slipbag.[/QUOTE]

Nice price for all that! :clap:

Acer is becoming more and more popular - when I have time I’ll check out that Acer Travelmate Timeline series which Michael recommended

Got a couple of Toshiba Satellite L505-S6951 Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1GHz 16in Laptop (3GB/320GB) for work.

Nice 16" screen, lightweight and so far really nice to work with.

[B]ASUS support[/B] may well be questionable, but I´m also not aware of any that shine either. I myself have a 14" Dell…2 years old now, and no complaints so far about the machine itself, therefore have not had the need to test their customer support.

As far as [B]reliability[/B] goes, my comments about ASUS and Toshiba are based on comments by a couple of independent IT buddies, and a recent article which clearly singled these two out as being the least likely to suffer from any sort of problem. (I´ll try to track down the link…post it later).

A [B]netbook[/B] option, as I mentioned, is worth considering if you´re after serious portability. I carry one me with almost every day…but then I ride a mountainbike 50 to 100km/day on and off-road at an average of 30kmh. I know loads of students who also like them precisely because they are small, as well as relatively cheap. Sure, the small screen is irritating at times, but so are mothers-in law, the wet spot, peanut butter that sticks to the roof of your mouth, and so on.

Here we go…this is the article which surveyed hardware reliability of the major brands over a three year period.
http://keemanxp.com/blog/2009/laptops-reliability-survey-us-asus-is-number-one.html

Some useful looking links are on the same page as well.

An another link…which certainly looks bad for ASUS

But, ask yourself: If the machine is said to be perhaps the most reliable, and you are fairly well clued up about computers, AND you are a member of the finest computer freaks club around…then you don´t have [I]too[/I] much to worry about.

:wink:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2478425]An another link…which certainly looks bad for ASUS

But, ask yourself: If the machine is said to be perhaps the most reliable, and you are fairly well clued up about computers, AND you are a member of the finest computer freaks club around…then you don´t have [I]too[/I] much to worry about.

;)[/QUOTE]

:iagree: No Worries Here :iagree: :smiley:

[QUOTE=deanimator;2478412]Here we go…this is the article which surveyed hardware reliability of the major brands over a three year period.
http://keemanxp.com/blog/2009/laptops-reliability-survey-us-asus-is-number-one.html

Some useful looking links are on the same page as well.[/QUOTE]

I’ve seen this chart before and noted it doesn’t mention Panasonic. Perhaps it’s not considered a major brand but my Toughbook is over ten years old and still going strong. It even has one of those newfangled “Touch Screens”. :eek:

If looking into a Netbook, the Intel SU2300 dual core is pretty sweet.
Acer Aspire AS1410-2285 Diamond Black Intel Celeron SU2300(1.2GHz) 11.6" 2GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook

[QUOTE=eric93se;2478756]If looking into a Netbook, the Intel SU2300 dual core is pretty sweet.
Acer Aspire AS1410-2285 Diamond Black Intel Celeron SU2300(1.2GHz) 11.6" 2GB Memory 160GB HDD Netbook[/QUOTE]

Good point:
maybe overlooked is the fact that netbooks basically come in two flavours.
1…the “small” variety with the 10" screen, 1.6 GHz processor, 1GB RAM,160GB HDD, and XP
2…the “mid” size, with almost a proper screen at 11.6", slower 1.2GHz, 3 GB RAM, and whatever up to 250GB HDD, and nowdays set up with Windoze 7

Other variations exist too, such as the waste of time/money 8.9" which is hopefully no longer on your shelves, and those using SSD which are still a bit overpriced.

If you choose to go down this road, make sure your machine has at least 3 USB ports (some have only two which can be very annoying)