So many 48x Lite-Ons!

What the hell is the deal here? I am on newegg’s site and they have so many 48x Lite-Ons to choose from. Which one is the best? Currently I have the 48125W and I hate it. I know that you can’t overclock it, and that it is (I think) the first 48x model to come out from Lite-On.

Now I want to buy another 48x and throw this one away. I see the 48246S, the 48126S, and then all the combos of those (black, oem, retail, etc). So what is the real difference between all of these? Why must there be so many choices for the same drive?

48126S = 48246S = 52246S
=> get which ever is the cheapest, probably 48126S :slight_smile:

ok just ordered the 48246S in black OEM. this is my 4th lite-on drive too. I love these guys (other than my 48125w)

Too bad they’re apparently sold out (and maybe this was posted already and I missed it, I’ve been pretty busy this week), but Best Buy had the Buslink RW4848 48x12x48 this week for US $19.99 after mail in rebates (one for $20 and one for $30). I stopped in Sunday night and picked up two - they were both 48246s out of the box (even labelled as such and with the “48x24x48” sticker on the front)!

I looked on their website last night and it showed no longer taking orders and not available for instore pickup.

Originally posted by dentman42
[B]Too bad they’re apparently sold out (and maybe this was posted already and I missed it, I’ve been pretty busy this week), but Best Buy had the Buslink RW4848 48x12x48 this week for US $19.99 after mail in rebates (one for $20 and one for $30). I stopped in Sunday night and picked up two - they were both 48246s out of the box (even labelled as such and with the “48x24x48” sticker on the front)!

I looked on their website last night and it showed no longer taking orders and not available for instore pickup. [/B]
well still, it’s not black, and also its not truly a full lite-on. my system, and all my systems that I build, are 100% lite-on drives.

Man, some people are just never satisfy w/ what they have. Dude, it’s 48X! Where the hell are you gonna get 52X media if you bought a 52X writer? Although you could use the 48x media, but seeing how you’re so picky, you’ll probably throw all the 48x media away looking around for 52x ones. rant over

Get the 48246S or 48126S model, 6 series chipset, able to OC to 52x.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]Man, some people are just never satisfy w/ what they have. Dude, it’s 48X! Where the hell are you gonna get 52X media if you bought a 52X writer? Although you could use the 48x media, but seeing how you’re so picky, you’ll probably throw all the 48x media away looking around for 52x ones. rant over

Get the 48246S or 48126S model, 6 series chipset, able to OC to 52x. [/B]
and I should listen to a pot head…because???

Originally posted by insey
and I should listen to a pot head…because???

He knows more than you :bigsmile:

Thanks man!:bigsmile:

And Mr. Insey (whatever that means), since you’re the one who’s asking the question, shouldn’t you be soaking the advice in, instead of being all prejuidice about what another member’s call sign is? And how many times have you shopped at NewEgg.com? Not many I assume since you’re asking an obvious question most frequent NewEgg.com user like myself would know. And the fact that you didn’t even bother to do a search or look up the number of threads discussing which Lite-On CDRW to get, but choose to start a new thread instead, didn’t impress me all that much.
:rolleyes:

The only advantage of a newer drive is the possibility to burn rewritables faster (24sp compared to 12sp), besides that burning a regular cd will save you only a couple of seconds of time… (52sp vs 48sp)

:confused:

Upp3rd0G- Very well said. My feelings exactly. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by Upp3rd0G
[B]The only advantage of a newer drive is the possibility to burn rewritables faster (24sp compared to 12sp), besides that burning a regular cd will save you only a couple of seconds of time… (52sp vs 48sp)

:confused: [/B]

The cdfreaks review on the 52x drive discovered that it was only about 10 seconds difference and that many cd’s burnt at 52x had serious errors at the end, and the the smarttburn burnt several types of cd’sd faster than was reliable.

Can I see a point in flashing my litey 48126s (@48246s) to a 52246s?

Maybe 52326s, but then again, maybe not.

Originally posted by alexnoe
48126S = 48246S = 52246S
=> get which ever is the cheapest, probably 48126S :slight_smile:

I’m wondering if there is any update to this info.

I just got a 48126S with firmware 2S0A. Can I update the FW to 6S08 for the 52246S?

Do I get anything new like P-CAV or some other goodies (like being able to copy certain formats with one FW vs the original?)

If it’s just the speed issue from 48x>52x, I’m less interested unless it would be very sure not to ruin my new drive. I don’t do any RWs, so 12> 24 is less important.

Thanks, please let me know. There are so many threads but no definitive answer (I did a search).

There is a review on the 52x lite-on drive. I suggest that you read it.

+ve points.
about 6-10s when burning at 52x in comparison to 48x

-ve points
Smart burn doesn’t recognise many lower quality cdrs as it should and slow down accordingly, resulting in lots of coasters.

The 48246s (4824x48) got a better review. Yet another example of when faster adds no real benefits.

I think I’d rather wait an extra 10 seconds, or whatever and be assured that the cd is bein written reliably. I go nuts when one of my cdr’s doesn’t work like it should.

But that’s just my 2 cents.

Originally posted by Stoner
[B]Thanks man!:bigsmile:

And Mr. Insey (whatever that means), since you’re the one who’s asking the question, shouldn’t you be soaking the advice in, instead of being all prejuidice about what another member’s call sign is? And how many times have you shopped at NewEgg.com? Not many I assume since you’re asking an obvious question most frequent NewEgg.com user like myself would know. And the fact that you didn’t even bother to do a search or look up the number of threads discussing which Lite-On CDRW to get, but choose to start a new thread instead, didn’t impress me all that much.
:rolleyes: [/B]
you’re right…this must have been my first time shopping at newegg

and thats only page 1

I think what stoner was getting @ was the fact that the questions you asked where kind of newbie like, I dont mean that as critisizm just a fact. What he was saying about not being satisfied just meant that 52x media out there is about nil so upgrading is about useless at this time, unless your burner is broken. And by the way if you have read stoners other posts youd see that he does know what of which he speaks. So what ever it is hes smoking(if anything) pass it this way caus I dont know crap. And by the way he did answer your question. :bigsmile: