So is it unadvisable to burn faster than the disc is rated at?

vbimport

I have the pioneer BDR-208DBK 15x capable on BDR’s. I’m using discs Verbatim 25GB 6X BD-R model 97457. These disc are rated at 6X. I have a lot of data to burn/store and was wondering if when using IMGburn to burn these files mostly large rar files to disc is it ok to let IMGburn to burn as fast as it wants ? I tried once and I think at the highest speed it burned like at 10x.

I wanted to know if it’s a bad ideal to burn higher speed than the disc is rated at and is there more chance of a bad burn when burning faster by a lot ? I’ll be storing these discs away for probably for 2-3 years.

If you’re looking for the best quality burn on those discs, that’s probably not going to happen at the max possible writing speed. Having said that, burning at the maximum speed will probably give you a disc that works fine. Without the ability to scan your burned discs for quality it’s a bit hard to quantify. I would suggest that you look at this thread and see what speed has worked best for others. From the scans people have posted it doesn’t seem like 12x is going to be your best option. Unfortunately there aren’t many scans of slower burns posted. The one scan I saw of a 6x burn looks very nice.

What usually makes for a bad or I should say less quality burn, burning to fast or the disc is low quality or the software/pc screwed up ?

Also why make drives faster than available media speed ?

I guess I’ll just burn at 6x checking out that thread a little.

If your PC is fast enough & most even fairly new ones are then half the disc max is the general rule for a good burn (write).
Too slow can also be bad.

Of course a low quality media is not going to do as well.

I think software causing a poor burn is rare.

PC as above unless you have an older PC & its’ processor is slow .
The PC won’t be the problem.

Don’t rely too much on quality scans . The real test is do the videos play well on your standalones . Is the picture quality good.

The final test is do discs you burned 5 years ago still play well.

[QUOTE=New_Wolf;2696992]What usually makes for a bad or I should say less quality burn, burning to fast or the disc is low quality or the software/pc screwed up ? [/quote]It can be a lot of things, but usually it’s the quality of the media and how well optimized the drive’s firmware is for it. The software and PC are not likely to play a roll unless they’re unable to keep up with the drive’s needs for fast burning.

Also why make drives faster than available media speed ?
Probably a few factors. It’s a way to sell new drives and one up their competitors (market differentiation). Also, because they can. If the engineers can get the drive to have workable results burning it past it’s rated speed…

I guess I’ll just burn at 6x checking out that thread a little.
6x seems to be a good safe setting for that media.

The key is to always do a verify. Most disc burning applications have an option for verify where it will read the disc back and confirm it reads as expected after the disc is finished.