So I'm at a cross roads

I will be buying one of these in a 600 pack:

TAIYO YUDEN CD-R 80, 52X, Shiny Silver Thermal Surface
http://www.gotmedia.com/taiyo-yuden-cdr-shiny-silver.html

PRODISC CD-R 80, 52X, Shiny Silver Thermal Print Surface
http://www.gotmedia.com/prodisc-cdr-shiny-silver.html

First off, I know the rep Taiyo Yuden has as being one of the best discs out there. Low data error, durability, longevity and so forth. But I also know Prodisc has a good reputation too, and their prices are much less than Taiyo Yuden.

So here’s the question- can I buy the much more inexpensive Prodisc without sacrificing quality? Or is Taiyo Yuden the only option?

Personally I would go for the TY discs although I wouldn’t get the shiny silver top versions, I would pay the extra and get the white printable top versions, that’s just personal preference as I don’t like silver tops.

[QUOTE=Atal;2239874]I will be buying one of these in a 600 pack:

TAIYO YUDEN CD-R 80, 52X, Shiny Silver Thermal Surface
http://www.gotmedia.com/taiyo-yuden-cdr-shiny-silver.html

PRODISC CD-R 80, 52X, Shiny Silver Thermal Print Surface
http://www.gotmedia.com/prodisc-cdr-shiny-silver.html

First off, I know the rep Taiyo Yuden has as being one of the best discs out there. Low data error, durability, longevity and so forth. But I also know Prodisc has a good reputation too, and their prices are much less than Taiyo Yuden.

So here’s the question- can I buy the much more inexpensive Prodisc without sacrificing quality? Or is Taiyo Yuden the only option?[/QUOTE]

No you can not.
A
Taiyo Yuden so far performed much better in all stability tests I’ve seen.
B
Playback compatability of TY is better a prodisc.
C
TY cd-r’s come in a few grades which are all ok.
Prodisc cd-r’s come in a lot of different grades, some of which are not that nice. (Me being polite here. :bigsmile:)

So it’s TY unless your media only needs to last 5 years. If it’s for 5 years and less then you could go with prodisc.

I’ve never had a Prodisc CD fail. That said, for anything important, I would only ever use Taiyo Yuden. It’s in my sig that Prodisc is one of my favourite CD makers behind Taiyo Yuden - primarily because Prodisc has numerous lines of good looking media - discs with coloured substrates, diamond-silver etc, that and the fact that no Prodisc CD has ever failed makes me like Prodisc a lot. That said between being stored well used primarily for archiving, and the fact that the temperature in here never gets below 5C or above 20C may work in their favour.

That said, if I were duplicating CDs for customers in a business (like what you seem to be doing) I would [B]ONLY[/B] use Taiyo Yuden, unless the discs will be promotional in nature and noone’s going to care about theirs long term, and you’re not worried about device compatibility, another area where TY reigns supreme.

Among the CD-R media I currently have, I consider the Verbatim branded Prodics CD-R to be the worst in terms of compatibility with burners and resulting C1/C2 scans.

My Taiyo Yuden CD-R are the best in competition with some of my older Verbatim Super AZO CD-R.

I don’t buy crappy CD-R media (at least not deliberately), but I consider the Verbatim Prodisc CD-R I have as mediocre at best.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2240152]Among the CD-R media I currently have, I consider the Verbatim branded Prodics CD-R to be the worst in terms of compatibility with burners and resulting C1/C2 scans.[/QUOTE]

How about compatibility with standalones after being burned?

[quote=evo69;2240225]How about compatibility with standalones [I]after[/I] being burned?[/quote] I don’t know; I have one CD player that I use for playing and it plays anything I throw at it, including crappy CD-RW media.

The only CD-R media I have recently tried playing in other players have been Plextor/Verbatim branded Taiyo Yuden, Verbatim Super AZO and HP branded CMC. I didn’t encounter any initial problems (but one case of destruction of a Verbatim Super AZO Made in India over time after leaving the disc in the player for a year or so).

At least one of my DVD drives has problems reading the Verbatim branded Prodisc CD-R regardless of burner used.

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2240228]At least one of my DVD drives has problems reading the Verbatim branded Prodisc CD-R regardless of burner used.[/QUOTE]

That’s funny, considering how Verbatim usually gets the best batches even when using cheaper manufacturers’ media. The Prodisc-branded Prodisc CD-Rs I have have about an 80% success in media detection on standalones but 100% on computer drives. I’ve yet to try Prodisc Verbs but of the CMC and Daxon I’ve had it’s 100%.

TY Verbatim Pastels (I’m overstocked and they’re my fave), of course, are 100% perfect. I’m drooling for some TY printables.

Back on topic: TY if you’re getting paid for it - the headaches of dealing with clients complaining of media failure is worth the extra cents. :bigsmile:

So a few weeks ago I bought 700 silver/black Prodiscs. Am I screwed?

[QUOTE=Atal;2240678]So a few weeks ago I bought 700 silver/black Prodiscs. Am I screwed?[/QUOTE]

Not necesseraly. Do you have an access to Lite-On/Samsung/Benq/Plextor DVD burner and Kprobe/Nero DiscSpeed/Plextor Tools? A quality test should show if these media are of A or B/C grade quality.

You also have to be careful with black substrate CDs (if that’s what you got) because some drives don’t read them (crappy Liteons and Liteon/Optiarcs, I’m looking at you). Also your discs sound like they’re plain silver which means the reflective layer is exposed, and thus the disc will be easier to damage than a printable disc or other disc with some class of top coating.

It depends on the use you have for the discs - if you’re giving away promotional data CDs, your pack of Prodiscs will be great - they’ll do the business and the black bottom will be an attention grabber.

But if it’s something your getting paid for, or something your customers will want to keep for a long time, the Taiyo Yudens are the only answer.

If it has to work, it has to be Taiyo Yuden.

I second the concern with the black substrate - I have had a few drives being picky with black substrates discs, but other colored substrates fare better, at least in my experience.

In my case it was all CDs with any dark substrate - black, dark blue, dark green etc. All my Memorex color (non black) and Prodisc color discs worked but any blacks and some of my MPO discs were darker and did not.
I had bought an Optiarc 7191S - NEC (or so I thought) SATA, Black, Lightscribe - had everything I thought I needed - what could possibly go wrong?

The drive was a steaming pile.

Between this flaw and the constant screwing up of Lightscribe labels, I had a replacement drive (LG H55N) in my computer the following week.

So where can I get GENUINE Taiyo Yuden CDRs in the USA?

Are the silver topped thermal CDRS they sell at supermediastore.com genuine?