So errors?

Hi

I have a DVD disc that’s a bit scrathed up but not too bad as not to be read at all.What I’m wondering is: is it possible that I have extracted an ISO image of the disc along with errors?

Since I’m sure I confused you I’ll give an example:

let’s say I have an ISO image of some sort.Let’s say I burn it to a DVD-R and I delete the image from my HDD after a while I’ve used the given DVD-R it has a bunch of scratches.And I decide to make an ISO image of it.And the ISO image is different from the one I burnt before.

Is it possible that the program reading the ISO image from the disc reads a faulty image without giving error messages as to the disc being faulty.

For example DVD Decrypter gives a error message when the disc is so badly scratched that it cannot be read.What I’m asking is if it’s possible to have a faulty image after the so called “successful operation” message in DVD Decrypter or any ISO reading program?

Some programs are designed to rip an ISO image despite of errors on the disc, and depending on the program, it’s possible that you might overlook errors during the ripping. There may be settings/options controlling if and how you are alerted of errors.

As an example it’s quite possible to use DVD Decrypter in a way that continues past reading errors, and then overlook the warnings in the log.

Other programs are designed to rip an ISO image only if it can be done without errors, and you cannot overlook if that fails.

So it’s difficult to answer your question without knowing which program you have used for the ripping, and perhaps some relevant settings.

Welcome to the forum! :slight_smile:

I used DVD Decrypter v 3.5.4.0
these are the settings that I think are relevant:

I think you would have been warned of any errors with those settings, so if you didn’t get any warnings during ripping, your ISO image should be good.

I almost figured out what was wrong - it seems several of my backups have added 327680 bytes to them.It’s not likely that all are faulty with exactly the same number of bytes over so I’m guessing that it’s either the burning program/method or both.

But I have absolutely no idea as to how these bytes are being added to the image - any ideas to share with a n00b?

ISO images contain more than just the data structure that goes on the disc, they also contain a small amount of information about the image.

This means that you can have an ISO image, let’s call it a.iso, burn it onto a disc, and then rip to b.iso using program “B” and rip the same disc to c.iso using program “C”, and all three ISO images could be slightly different. The data content of the ISO files would still be the same, however.

So I wouldn’t worry about the added 300 kilobytes.

So I googled around and found this old thread

<cite>forum.doom9.org/archive/index.php/t-122210.html

anyway, thing is: I have discs that are 1:1 copies of images
and I have those with this padding nonsense.So now I just have to waste a couple of DVDs to see whether it’s Nero or DVD decrypter that’s addding the 320kb
</cite>

It’s definitely Nero adding the 320k padding files.Also when the image is extracted with MagicISO instead of DVDDecrypter - the image has no padding

Have you tried ImgBurn ?
Of course you would need a decrypter to use ImgBurn on a commercial DVD.
AnyDVD works & DVDFab’s Passkey probably does.
There is another software h2cdimage that is for scratched discs.
you need to translate the liesmich.txt (readme.txt) to English or whatever your language is. Unless you read German.
It is ran from a command window.
It also needs a decrypter for commercial DVD’s .AnyDVD seems to work fine with it.