So-called Optiarc AD-7220A

Snapped this up as it was the cheapest one at Newegg, but it rips so slow! I’m used to just getting Liggy & Dee’s firmware for my past NEC drives, but can’t find any info about modified firmwares for this drive. I read it’s a rebadged LiteOn, but which model specifically? Is there a firmware somewhere that will up it’s ripping speed, or did I just waste 20 bucks on this thing?

[QUOTE=jdoe;2283288]Snapped this up as it was the cheapest one at Newegg, but it rips so [I]slow![/I] I’m used to just getting Liggy & Dee’s firmware for my past NEC drives, but can’t find any info about modified firmwares for this drive. I read it’s a rebadged LiteOn, but which model specifically? Is there a firmware somewhere that will up it’s ripping speed, or did I just waste 20 bucks on this thing?[/QUOTE]
Not to worry. Crossflashed my AD-7220S to iHAS322 and it’s a very nice drive to have around for ripping, scanning, and burning. COdeKing’s modded firmware allows 18X ripping. I’ve seen it mentioned that the 7220A would be the equivalent of iHAP322.

Also check all of your DMA settings. It should rip SL and DL as fast as any other drive, unless the Sony firmware is different to the LiteOn firmware.

Also make sure it’s the primary, and only drive, on the IDE channel.

Failing that the crossflash could be the answer. :iagree:

Here’s a rip comparison of the Optiarc 7200S and the LiteOn iHAP322.

Disc: DVD-Video Terminator 2:

First place goes to the iHAP322 at 12:39:

Close second is the 7200S at 12:55:

how do you cross flash this to a liteon i322

Hi bazer2. Use the Flash Utility (see my signature). When it asks for the file to flash, select the EXE flasher file (which you will find in this forums firmware announcement thread).

7220A = iHAP322
7220S = iHAS322

Also see: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f44/new-liteon-plds-patched-firmware-thread-new-267641/

Note: Make sure you backup you EEPROM and firmware before you crossflash (use the EEPROM Utility & Flash Utility for this).

ok im waiting on this to come i let you know how i get on thanks baz

[QUOTE=C0deKing;2283421]Also check all of your DMA settings. It should rip SL and DL as fast as any other drive, unless the Sony firmware is different to the LiteOn firmware.

Also make sure it’s the primary, and only drive, on the IDE channel.

[/QUOTE]

Dear Codeking and other users,

Why is it important that the DVDRW drive is the only drive and primary (you mean master?) on the particular IDE channel?

Maybe the following problem is related to this?
I have noticed, that during Nero disk quality scan if I start any program on my pc (mediaplayer, file manager, etc) a lot of spikes appears on the PI/PE graph (I can reproduce this any time with starting a new program, which uses my HDD) rendering disk quality test unreliable.
Current setupof the IDE: Primary master = HDD, primary slave= AD-7220A crossflashed to IHAP322 (unfortunately no secondary IDE channel, just 2 SATA ports already occupied with two other HDD).

Before I rebuild the pc, I would like to ask, if the cause of the problem can be, that there is a HDD (master) on the IDE channel where IHAP322 (slave) installed and the HDD is disturbing the communication of IHAP322 with the motherboard?
Both drives are jumpered correctly, the only thing, that can be also a cause: slave (IHAP322) connected to the end connector of the IDE cable and the master (HDD) connected to the middle connector on the IDE cable due to the setup of the PC-housing (maybe this can be a cause also??)

Please help, if someone has faced with similar problem, what could be the solution.:confused:
Thank you.

Hi Learn2. Interestingly, on my system, when the system is busy, it tends to reduce the PIE/PIF errors.

I haven’t run a slave DVD writer on the same channel as an HDD for a long time, so I can’t really say if this is the cause of your errors but it has caused strange problems in the past.

One thing to definitely check is your power supply. Sounds like your system has quite a load on the 5/12 volt lines with all those drives. Bigger/higher watts and good smoothing is always better, when it comes to using DVD Writers. :wink: