Smartwatch market shrinks with more than 50%

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Smartwatch market shrinks with more than 50%[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2016/10/moto360sport-blk-1000-95x75.png[/newsimage]

Numbers released by market research company IDC show that 50% less smartwatches have been sold this quarter compared to the same quarter last year. Especially Apple reports bad numbers, sales of smartwatches of the Cupertino tech giant dropped with nearly 72%.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/smartwatch-market-shrinks-50-80732/](http://www.myce.com/news/smartwatch-market-shrinks-50-80732/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Considering Apple doesn’t release their Watch sales figures, I wonder how reliable IDC figures are ?Â
I personally have little interest, not until they can go a couple of days normal use on a charge.Â

A Couple Days

It would have to last a week before I would even look at it myself

Apple sold 1.1 smartwatches this quarter
Unless you meant 1.1 million, chances are your numbers are wrong. I don’t see how any one can buy 0.1 watches.

Anyway, when my sister bought her first Apple watch, I couldn’t help but ask “Why? What’s the point?” I still haven’t got a good answer to that question. Compared to smart phones, smart watches are only good for selling your health info to big brother. Thanks, but no thanks.

I felt liberated when my smartphone allowed my to ditch my wrist watch. Now they think I will go back to the inconvenience of wearing one AND pay stupid money for the privilege? Sometimes I wonder how these marketing gurus can get something so wrong on such a massive scale. Their real problem is that smartphone tech is plateauing and companies like Apple and Samsung are getting eaten alive by the third tier phone makers that offer 90% of their flagship phones’ performance for half the price. Apple bet far too much on the Apple Watch and they are just about void of ideas for new products to keep their gravy train rolling.

Me to I knew all along the watch would be a fad that would not last that long. Of course I could not see why anyone needed a phone in is pocket to.

I resisted smartphones for a few years. Then internet speeds improved enough to really make them useful and I got on board. IMO, a Bluetooth earpiece is far more useful than a watch. Good ones allow me to talk while driving on the interstate with the windows down and let me continue to work while I am on the phone.

Just like the physical phone they shrink and that tells how small their market share is going.

Also, I have gotten to the point I have to have a 5.5", or larger, screen to read it easily. I would need a magnifying glass to read a smart watch screen. A friend has one and the two days I was around him I saw no really useful purpose for it. It’s main function was to tell him the time and how many steps he had taken that day.

[QUOTE=UTR;2782711]Also, I have gotten to the point I have to have a 5.5", or larger, screen to read it easily. I would need a magnifying glass to read a smart watch screen. A friend has one and the two days I was around him I saw no really useful purpose for it. It’s main function was to tell him the time and how many steps he had taken that day.[/QUOTE]
Did it also tell how many Bears he would meet… :stuck_out_tongue:

Damn I’m gonna sound like an Apple fanboy which I’m not, but I love my iPhone and iPad, most of the time. But here it goes…

Even though I said I don’t really want one, in defense the Apple watch is cool a gadget. If my budget situation was better I would probably get a series 2. People seem to love theirs, but we also hear of folks who bought and never use them anymore. I doubt they are the majority. Â Anyhow the watch is more about “want” than “need”, like most gadgets. Who doesn’t want to make a Skype call from their watch Dick Tracy style ? :slight_smile:
On a serious note, my wife wants one to track and manage her sugar levels for diabetes. However there are excellent iPhone companion devices for that so we are not getting the watch just for that. Not yet anyhow…

UTR Apple didn’t get it “so wrong”. They have sold millions of them. If IDC is correct, 1.1 million units in a quarter is by no means a failure! And that’s before the new series 2 was released and everyone knew it was coming ! They are just not selling an insane 10’s of millions of units like the iPhones.Â

Also to say Apple are getting eating alive is completely false. Even if sales are down they still rake in insane profits from their phones and ecosystem. And they are sure to get a boost from the Note 7 fiasco that should but won’t put Samsung out of the phone business. And sorry but nobody is coming close to Apple’s quality and performance on their flagship phones. iPhone 7 is by far the fastest phone on the planet, the A10 is faster than any other mobile processor, like the A series every year. Build quality has always been tops. They always prevail in drop and shock tests where Sammy’s plastic phones shatter to pieces.Â
If folks think Apple doesn’t innovate anymore, they  forget they were the first with: retina displays, Wifi hotspot feature, Siri technology, workstation-class 64-bit processor in a mobile, fingerprint sensor, 3D force touch (its cooler than you think) and probably more I’m forgetting.

We also need to keep in mind, seismic industry changing devices like the iPhone and iPad don’t come along  very often.Â

[QUOTE=ivid;2782725]Damn I’m gonna sound like an Apple fanboy which I’m not, but I love my iPhone and iPad, most of the time. But here it goes…

Even though I said I don’t really want one, in defense the Apple watch is cool a gadget. If my budget situation was better I would probably get a series 2. People seem to love theirs, but we also hear of folks who bought and never use them anymore. I doubt they are the majority. Â Anyhow the watch is more about “want” than “need”, like most gadgets. Who doesn’t want to make a Skype call from their watch Dick Tracy style ? :slight_smile: [/QUOTE]

I think most people buy an Apple watch more for the bling factor, their Apple street cred and/or Apple bragging rights than for actual usefulness.

[QUOTE=ivid;2782725]On a serious note, my wife wants one to track and manage her sugar levels for diabetes. However there are excellent iPhone companion devices for that so we are not getting the watch just for that. Not yet anyhow… [/QUOTE]

Can an Apple watch read glucose levels? Just curious if this can be done with it.

[QUOTE=ivid;2782725]UTR Apple didn’t get it “so wrong”. They have sold millions of them. If IDC is correct, 1.1 million units in a quarter is by no means a failure! And that’s before the new series 2 was released and everyone knew it was coming ! They are just not selling an insane 10’s of millions of units like the iPhones. [/QUOTE]

IMO, Apple could put a turd on a stick and sell a million of them. The Apple watch was expected to fly off the shelves. It was going to be the next big thing. I think it was over hyped and maybe the Apple fanboys are being more discerning with their cash.

[QUOTE=ivid;2782725]Also to say Apple are getting eating alive is completely false. Even if sales are down they still rake in insane profits from their phones and ecosystem. And they are sure to get a boost from the Note 7 fiasco that should but won’t put Samsung out of the phone business. And sorry but nobody is coming close to Apple’s quality and performance on their flagship phones. iPhone 7 is by far the fastest phone on the planet, the A10 is faster than any other mobile processor, like the A series every year. Build quality has always been tops. They always prevail in drop and shock tests where Sammy’s plastic phones shatter to pieces. [/QUOTE]

The iPhone can’t offer something as standard as wireless charging on their flagship smartphone. The iPhone 7 has paltry 326 ppi screen and the 7+ is only 401 ppi when many, many Android phones are at 530+ ppi. The S8 is rumored to have a full 4k screen. Then Apple is still using LED back light technology when many Android phones have moved on to AMOLED SCREENS. Had the Note 7 not experienced the battery problem I think it would have far out classed the 7+.

[QUOTE=ivid;2782725]If folks think Apple doesn’t innovate anymore, they  forget they were the first with: retina displays, Wifi hotspot feature, Siri technology, workstation-class 64-bit processor in a mobile, fingerprint sensor, 3D force touch (its cooler than you think) and probably more I’m forgetting.

We also need to keep in mind, seismic industry changing devices like the iPhone and iPad don’t come along  very often. [/QUOTE]

Apple has co-opted many of their “innovations” from other companies. Apple just executed someone’s idea better in many cases. The iPod is a good example. When I looked at the specs of the 7 and 7+ I was underwhelmed. It is bested by many other phones in most categories and I see nearly no innovation with them. Removing the headphone jack is not a “courageous” innovation. It is a way to make people buy expensive accessories that Apple cashes in on. I think Steve Jobs would be kicking ass and taking names if he came back to life today and saw what Apple has become.