Smartburn

hi all question for u

would you say using smartburn on or of when burning mp3 to audio??

cheers Andy

ps lite-on rules

its a good idea to leave smartburn on because it helps prevent errors and coasters, provided you have certified media.

My personal opinion. . . leave it on, and burn at a slower speed to assure quality. I’ve had good results burning audio CDs at 12x with my rebadged LTR-48125W. I always leave SMARTBURN enabled.

12x seems rather slow. I have a retail 48125w and it up till the other day it burned perfectly no errors at 48x. Now it gets pissed off using the same package of cds and i get a vcoaster everytime at 48x. It works fine at 40x though.

would you say using smartburn on or of when burning mp3 to audio??

There are actually 2 questions here:

1. should you burn MP3 directly to CDR? No, probably not, as you are forcing a conversion process and burning at the same time. If your processor and system are up to the extra duty, it’ll work out alright, but probably not at high burn speeds. you also introduce the possibility of errors in the conversion process. Best to convert to wave first, then burn.
  2. Does SmartBurn impact the burn process? No, except to monitor for overburned media and slow the speed if needed.

ok thanks guys i’ll put it back on
nice to meet people who help others thanks again
Andy

Originally posted by kwkard
12x seems rather slow. I have a retail 48125w and it up till the other day it burned perfectly no errors at 48x. Now it gets pissed off using the same package of cds and i get a vcoaster everytime at 48x. It works fine at 40x though.

Yeah, it’s kind of slow. I got into the habit of doing that when I used to burn on media of questionable quality (CMC). My Apex DVD player would sometimes choke on these discs when I burned at higher speeds, even though they’d play fine on my computer, or other standalone CD players.

you also introduce the possibility of errors in the conversion process. Best to convert to wave first, then burn.
This would mean that the decoder is crap or something like this. It really should not occur.
Something like an Athlon XP 2000+ should handle 48x MP3 decoding+burning with Nero easily.

Originally posted by alexnoe
This would mean that the decoder is crap or something like this. It really should not occur.
Something like an Athlon XP 2000+ should handle 48x MP3 decoding+burning with Nero easily.

If SmartBurn is on, should you care?

The drive will just wait for the buffer to fill and then resume burning, once the slower processor has caught up first that is :smiley:

I guess I’m not so trusting of the wares, I feel uncomfortable doing 2 operations, so I convert then burn. I also do not trust buffer under-run protection, cause I’ve had Nero crap out while waiting for the burn to re-start. Just my own paranoia.

Athlon 2000+? Even my athlon 850 mhz can do it. Or maybe its my mosterous ram of 384mb. I don’t know.