Smartburn...how to use?

OK. I’ve been piddling around turning SB on and off about a dozen times and have a few questions (I keep WOPC on all the time, BTW):

1. What is ‘supported’ and ‘unknown’ media? To be more concise, is ‘supported’ media the same as ‘learned’ media, and ‘unknown’ media the same as media that has not been learned using smartburn…or is ‘supported’ media the brand names that are stored in the firmware write strategies?

2. I use Verbatim and TY media. I want to use SB with Verbatim, but not with TY. As long as Verbatim shows up as being a learned disc in Qsuite, can I turn SB off while still taking advantage of the learned strategy for the Verbatim?..or does SB have to be on for the improved writing of the learned disc??

3. It seems that with SB on, writing quality improves until about the 3rd disc, then quality starts to drop off around the 4th disc. Is this normal? Could leaving SB on be the cause of this (should I turn it off after the first burn)? I’ll post some examples here (in order of burning after turning on SB). Thanks.

xpfshost

0.) It’s SolidBurn, not SmartBurn.

1.) Supported media is media that the drive has a write strategy for. If you could press a DVD-R yourself and give it the media code “xpfshost”, SolidBurn for unknown media would kick in.

2.) If you turn it off, it should revert to it’s original write strategy. If you want it to use what it learned, it should be on.

3.) It shouldn’t “drop off” after 4 burns… That doesn’t really make sense. I’m not sure if anyone has conclusively proven that burns get dramatically better every time, or that it even takes a few, like Plextor’s AutoStrategy. I believe official statements from BenQ have said that it only takes one disc to do all the learning it needs to.

2.) If you turn it off, it should revert to it’s original write strategy. If you want it to use what it learned, it should be on.

I’ve heard both, some people say that it uses the SB learned strategy as long as it’s listed, and some believe that it goes back to the strat included in the firmware. I haven’t seen conclusive evidence for either theory.

I believe official statements from BenQ have said that it only takes one disc to do all the learning it needs to.

That’s correct. Though I believe that might have been taken out of context. While 1 burn is enough to roughly learn how to burn it slight variations should make the drive update the stored info. That might or might not improve consecutive burns, it really depends on how much variation there is.
I’ve burned close to 300 MCC03 RG20 discs now with SB on/on, and haven’t noticed any drop (or rise) in quality that could be attributed to SB. The scans have been very consistent from batch to batch, except for perhaps the first disc from a new spindle.

Q.