Smart Burn: unknown media

Hi to all
I´ve got the new LTR 52246S. Whenever I start the smartburn media check program, it cannot tell me the specifications of the inserted empty disks… I tried 4 different brands of media, all 40x certified…
Smartburn always shows : unknown
So does it with the provided LiteOn CD-R.
Can someone tell me how come ?

By the way…the burner burns very well at all speeds…!

My rig:

Abit KT7A-Raid Rev.1.0 (Bios KT7_A9)
AMD Athlon XP 2000+ @ 1667 MHz
PSU 431W Enermax
Leadtek Winfast A250 LE my VIVO GeForce4 TI 4200 128MB
512MB SDR 7ns PC133 Apacer/Winbond CL2/2
SB Live 5.1 Platinum (Model SB0060) with LiveDrive II IR
NIC Allied Telesyn AT 2500Tx V.3 Fast Ethernet 10/100
Opti PCI-USB Add-In Card ; OnBoard USB enabled
Seagate Barracuda 20,4 GB on IDE1(Master) UDMA66
IBM Deskstar 120 GB on IDE1(Slave) UDMA100
Raid-HPT-Controller (Bios 2.32) disabled
Pioneer 16/40 DVD 106S (Slot in) FW:1.22 on IDE2(Master) UDMA66
LiteOn CDRW 52/24/52 FW:6S02 on IDE2 (Slave) UDMA33
Logitech Cordless Desktop Optical
Iiyama 22’’ Vision Master Pro 512 HA202DT Monitor (4*USB)
Printer : HP Deskjet 990CXI
Internet Connection : Siemens DSL Modem & Splitter (1.5 Mbit DSL)
USB 1 : Scanner : Epson Perfection 1240U
USB 2 : Logitech Wingman Cordless Rumblepad vibra
USB 3 : Telephone : ISDN Telekom Eumex 504PC USB
USB 4 : Sidewinder Precision pro USB
USB 5 : Aiptek PenCam 1.3 Mega
Nokia 6210 @ COM1
using VIA 4 in 1 4.43
Aspi-Layer 4.72
and always newest drivers & firmwares…

Originally posted by Vladi68

Whenever I start the smartburn media check program, it cannot tell me the specifications of the inserted empty disks… I tried 4 different brands of media, all 40x certified…
Smartburn always shows : unknown
So does it with the provided LiteOn CD-R.
Can someone tell me how come ?

The problem should be cured by unchecking Hide CDR Media

Funnily enough, I was just about to ask about this too.

I’ve got a 48125S, on XP with ASPI 4.72 (fixed to include old ASPI registry keys). My Litey works perfectly well with CDRWin 3.9B using Adaptec ASPI, I also have a slew of other burning software which works great.

The Smartburn utility will not work with any of my media. I tried 5 or 6 brands.

CloneCD’s hide CDR media feature is not the problem on my machine. I don’t have Blindwrite or anything else that hides the CDR media installed.

Does anyone else have trouble with this?

Could be that Adaptec aspi + lite-on media checker is not a good solution?

Hmz, to bad I can’t test that theory out right now as my computer is not fully working right now :wink:

Thanks OC-Freak, you could be right. Unfortunately, I’m not in a position to check this theory just now, maybe after the weekend.

One thing I have noticed though is an unfamiliar lower class filter on my drives. It’s called “B.H.A Storage Helper Driver (WindowsNT5.x)”, filename is bsstor.sys

Can anyone identify this driver? I’ve never seen it before! Maybe I’ve got too much software for my own good?! :smiley:

Thanks for answers but I haven´t got CloneCD´s tray icon installed (on startup). I killed aspi-drivers from my system but the problem still exists…

do you guys have alcohol installed, coz it’s hide ATIP function works without it running.

Thank you webcrawler. I was trying to figure out what that damned “B.H.A Storage Helper Driver (WindowsNT5.x)" was. It seems to be the class filter Alcohol uses, and it was left behind after uninstalling the demo.

The little Smartburn utility works fine now! :slight_smile: