Smallville Season 7 rip problem

vbimport

Hello, my name is IdioT.SavanT.i4.
I am an 8 year user of PCs and do some beta testing for various software companies - including Microsoft, which should indicate I am not a total n00b when it comes to using software.
Not saying I am boy genius, but good enough to solve all but the unsolvable for the most part. I have even stumped Microsoft engineers on at least 3 occasions and finally found solutions when they could not.

Right now, I have a problem and would appreciate any input to determine whether it is MY problem, or something beyond my control.

Primary Hardware:
AMD X2 6000+ w/4 GB DDR2 PC2 6400 (4-4-4-15) using Vista Ultimate and Sony/NEC Optiarc 7170s DVD-RW ATAPI devices.

DVDFab Decrypter 5.1.1.0, 5.1.1.5 beta & 5.1.1.8 beta tried so far.
Also ran DVDXCopy 3.2.1.0 in XP - SP3 & W2k - SP4+

• as well as DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0, RipIt4Me 1.7.1.0, and an older version 4 of DVDFab Platinum using the updated DVDFab Decrypter in:
    Vista Ultimate, XP Professional - SP3, & W2k - SP4+

Smallville Season 7 Discs 2, 3, & 4, so far, have refused to get past a read error screen. I haven’t tried Discs 1 & 5 yet, but anticipate the same problem.

In the past I have never had a problem ripping episodic DVDs, including past seasons of Smallville. (Don’t ask, I have kids. :sad: )

The newest Smallville has presented a problem in 2 distinctly different ways.
Discs 3 & 4 will not rip on the PC, they generate a message that says read error encountered and offer a choice to:
Retry | Abort | Ignore | Ignore All

Retry does retry, but generates the same problem continuously.

Abort does NOT abort, simply retries and generates the same message.

Ignore retries and generates the same error message, as does ignore all, but occassionally Ignore All results in a screen with portions blacked out and the program then freezes completely.

In all four instances the right hand “X” in the error message box does NOT kill the program, nor will it stop the recursive try and error message pop up processes.

The only kill option available is to press Cancel repeatedly as it’s going through it’s read, otherwise I cannot close the program until the Cancel takes effect.

Task Manager needs 3 or 4 tries to stop the processes.

After failing to find a way around this problem, I tried ripping with DVD Decrypter 3.5.4.0, RipIt4Me 1.7.1.0, and a straight up copy over by dragging and dropping. All failed and gave the same error messages in their own inimical way.

I then went to my XP Professional SP3 OS installation and tried it using XP - with the same results - even using DVDX Copy 3.2.1.0, which doesn’t run under Vista Ultimate. Nothing works on Smallville Season 7.

I tried it on another machine using XP Home SP2, with the same results.

Finally I tried it on my W2k machine, and still got the same results.

I then put the DVDs in my stand-alone JVC Progressive Scan DVD player and found at about 7-10 minutes or so into the 3rd episode of each DVD the DVD player would also freeze and return to the menu after a minute or so, which led me to believe I had simply purchased defective pressings and was all set to return them to the store for new ones.
This corresponds to the 61% rip I get in RipIt4Me and the 1_0 through 1_5 VOB sections, which rip just fine, but hang in the 2_? sections.
All IFO and BUP files seem to rip just fine.

Then I tried Season 7 Disc 2.
I get to 64% with Disc 2, and the same resulting hang. In DvdFab Decrypter, it rips most of the 2_? series of VOBs before it hangs on Disc 2.

Disc 2 presents the same problems as Discs 3 & 4, with the exception that it does NOT freeze up my JVC DVD player, it plays just fine in that.

Now the question arises; are these discs defective pressings and my PC is sensitive enough to refuse to copy through the errors or is the JVC simply ignoring the errors and jumping over them on Disc 2 even though it would not on Discs 3 & 4?

OR

Is this a new wrinkle in the anti-copy protection war?

I would appreciate any input from others who may have had either success with Smallville Season 7 or encountered the same problem.

This is the first time ever, in over 2,500 tries, that I have not been able to work around a rip-stop in one form or another. There always seems to be a way, but this time around I’ve run out of ideas.

FYI, I use SONY/LiteON/NEC DVD-RW drives exclusively here, and all of my machines have one form or another of them, from the 3500 series on up to the 7170s versions.

[quote=IdioT.SavanT.i4;2161591]
I then put the DVDs in my stand-alone JVC Progressive Scan DVD player and found at about 7-10 minutes or so into the 3rd episode of each DVD the DVD player would also freeze and return to the menu after a minute or so, which led me to believe I had simply purchased defective pressings and was all set to return them to the store for new ones.
This corresponds to the 61% rip I get in RipIt4Me and the 1_0 through 1_5 VOB sections, which rip just fine, but hang in the 2_? sections.
All IFO and BUP files seem to rip just fine.[/quote]
If your DVD player freezes trying to play then return and exchange as they are bad pressed. Not all the DVDs in the set have to freeze up to say it a bad pressed disc, just one or two.

I just finished ripping Smallville Season 7 Disc 2.
It took some work and some time, but I did manage to get it done with RipIt4Me 1.7.1.0. Still no luck with DVDFab Decrypter though.

I had to re-rip after the R4M spun it’s wheels for nearly an hour at 64%.
R4M asked me if I wanted to search other locations to find an encryption key for the VOB it was hung up on.
Once I gave it permission, it seemed to find that key OK, and finished ripping the DVD pretty quickly.
This was a feature in R4M that I had never seen pop up before.
Funny how a person can learn new things about a program they’ve been using for a long time. The original author was some kind of smart dude.

There’s something other than a bad pressing going on here, it’s starting to look like maybe some sort of hybrid encryption schemes are being used in an attempt to thwart the rippers.
Kind of a smart idea actually, though I doubt it’ll stand up any better than the previous attempts.

That does not eliminate the idea that Discs 3 & 4 may still have been bad, because R4M did not manage to rip those, although I didn’t let them run as long as I did Disc 2.
I shall run a retest on 3 & 4 and see if the same strategy of waiting out RipIt4Me will work, but since Disc 2 DID play in the DVD player, and 3 & 4 did not, we may have 2 seperate issues.

DVDFab still has a problem however, it cannot decrypt these.

A final check of the new backup DVD of Smallville plays fine in both the DVD player and on the PC & can be re-ripped very quickly using DVDFab Decrypter & Nero Recode 3.1.4.0, or just copying it straight up with Nero 8.3.6.0.

good to know you managed to get a copy [B]BUT[/B] if your DVD player cannot play an original DVD then something is wrong with the DVD. And you should exchange the set for another if that happens. I know if I spend 60 buck on a season set of Smallville and it not play on my DVD player I would be returning it and asking for another set or my money back. It does not matter if I can copy it with one of my many DVD copy programs or not a bad disc is a bad disc.

[quote=GJ;2161656]good to know you managed to get a copy [B]BUT[/B] if your DVD player cannot play an original DVD then something is wrong with the DVD. And you should exchange the set for another if that happens. I know if I spend 60 buck on a season set of Smallville and it not play on my DVD player I would be returning it and asking for another set or my money back. It does not matter if I can copy it with one of my many DVD copy programs or not a bad disc is a bad disc.[/quote]Discs 5 & 6 copied without a hitch, so I believe you are correct and it is a manufacturing defect on Discs 3 & 4.
Back to the store they go.