Smaller AVI files

Hello im new to this and am self taught but ill try to make sense of it. I have a peer to peer program and download AVI movies frequently and ive been comparing their AVIs to mine. It seems mine are alot larger then what im seeing but with the exact same AVI size i believe its the way im going about it. Could it be that they copied the movie itself with no menu or extras before they converted it to AVI. Im gonna try it until i get it right im just hopeing someone will save me some time :wink:

Get GSpot(free) and look at the bitrate of those files.

Ok done but how do i use it? Im assuming this will allow me to resize my large AVIs. The program has analyzed the AVI but i dont know what the next step is.

CDuncle wanted you to compare the bitrate on the smaller avi files compared to the ones you are making. Gspot is just a utility for examining video files, not for reencoding them.

You’ll have to encode them with another program, but it seems like you already have one you use.

the larger file is 448kbps 608x256 and 1.36GB 2:58:20. The smaller file is 128 kbps 368x256 698MB 2:58:20. What does this mean? There is virtually no difference in the quality with the naked eye

The kbps figure is the bitrate…in this case you are looking at 448kbps vs 128kbps (kilobits per second). The smaller avi is using a very much smaller bitrate. Which is one reason it is not as big.

The other reason can be seen in the resolution of the two videos. 608x256 vs 368x256. The first is nearly twice as big as the second horizontally.

Reducing both of these parameters can give you much smaller files. The bitrates are very low, particularly the 128kbps. What video codec was used in these? Xvid, divx, H264?

The large file is more like wide screen resolution, where the small one is close to 4:3. The 128 kbs was chosen most likely for the file to fit on regular CD, which seem to be a practise for mpeg 4 encoding.
Those were the times where DVD was still too expensive.
You can do the same by lowering bitrate of your encoding. I hope you will be happy with quality of the movie, because this is almost three hour movie.

Thanks for breaking it down guys that makes sense given the specifications of the two files. Im using DVDFab5 to crack and rip, then DVD Shrink3.2 to compress the files, then AutoGK and its set for a XviD codec 1400mb to convert to AVI, the output resolution is set for auto width so im guessing its meant to be wide screen. Great that tells me i can play with it some more to make file smaller if i want by making the width smaller and also changing the audio type, good stuff thanks for the intel much appreciated.

Skip the DVD Shrink step. Just point AutoGK to the RIPped folder and choose the vob set which contains the movie.

Your resolution is bigger because you have chosen a larger output file size. If you choose 700MB, for example, AutoGK will reduce the resolution. I prefer the 2 CD (1400MB) size also and you can often tell the difference.

[QUOTE=Dogg;2198118]Skip the DVD Shrink step. Just point AutoGK to the RIPped folder and choose the vob set which contains the movie.

Your resolution is bigger because you have chosen a larger output file size. If you choose 700MB, for example, AutoGK will reduce the resolution. I prefer the 2 CD (1400MB) size also and you can often tell the difference.[/QUOTE]
The 1 CD vs. 2 CD is an obsolete hold over from days past. Especially since quality CDs now cost more than DVDs.

As Dogg notes:

I prefer the 2 CD (1400MB) size also and [B]you can often[/B] tell the difference.

When I make my Xvids, I keep the original resolution, 720 X xxx, and shoot for about 2GB. The end result is nearly identical to the source. 700MB AVIs make for a less than ideal viewing experience on new large screen TVs.