Small but significant chunks missing from subtitles

vbimport

Hi, I’m new to this forum, and glad I found it. :slight_smile:

I am burning copies of an Italian TV series to DVD using DVD Flick; it’s a simple piece of software, and it never fails to generate a high quality disk. DVD Flick has a neat option to add subtitles (my Italian isn’t up to it) - when the disk is burned, the SRT file is packaged with the video, and it plays nicely on a domestic DVD player, with the subtitles neatly synched.

There’s just one minor problem; when characters on screen use a telephone, you can hear the speaker on the other end of the line chatting away in Italian, but the soundtrack for the off-screen caller isn’t picked up in the SRT file (although the subtitles for the speaker visible on screen are perfect). Given that these are fiendishly complex plots at times, the words of the invisible speaker are often pretty critical !

I’m assuming the poor soul who had to populate the SRT file didn’t think this mattered. Or is there a menu option I’m missing ?

Grateful for any useful advice.

I’m assuming the poor soul who had to populate the SRT file didn’t think this mattered.

I’d believe that too. Perhaps one of these tools could be used to add a few lines: http://www.videohelp.com/tools?toolsearch=Subtitle+Edit&Submit=Search&convert=&s=&orderby=Name&hits=50