Small bugs in PlexTools Prof 2.02

vbimport

on xp home as owner:

tried it and exited out when it says i had older version i must delete first.
deleted thru add/remove programs left shortcuts and plextor folder.

installed plextools professional 2.02 upgrade all was well except when i try to click help file or manual.
says unable to find plextool.HLP well the help file is there but a .chm.

same thing with manual: its unable to find but its there in plextools folder and i can open it from folder just like help file.

what is up?

i have tried to clear registry settings thru the button allowing you to that but no good.

i did get it to work twice but thats it not again so i tried running installer again choosing repair but that did nothing either.

thanx

chevysales:

installed plextools professional 2.02 upgrade all was well except when i try to click help file or manual.
says unable to find plextool.HLP well the help file is there but a .chm.

same thing with manual: its unable to find but its there in plextools folder and i can open it from folder just like help file.

what is up?

That is one of two bugs in the program. the other one is freedb access syntax error.:frowning:

Plextor has been notified of this and they advised that it will be fixed.

No time was given.

i was thinking something was wrong so i blew it out and went back to 1.21.
thought i somehow needed a full version of pro to install upgrade until i found registry key where all settings are saved even after deletion.

what kind of bug is that to write a program that deep (or supposedly so) full of tests and adjustments then not link to help file properly using .chm file instead of ancient .hlp?
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Plextor

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Plextor\PlexTools
all settings under the above.

may wait until it fixed otherwise i need to keep plextools folder open when i use it so i can read manual/help files.

thanx

chevysales

I know, It should have been doubled checked before released. but there is no such thing as a totally bug free software. :rolleyes: for now I just created a shortcut on the desktop to access help if needed.:wink:

A inconvenience maybe, but not a big deal:D

Just downloaded the file from the Japan support site. as far as the installation goes the help files work. However the freedb still no go. you can download here.

http://www.plextor.co.jp/plextools/index.html

Originally posted by alchip80

the other one is freedb access syntax error.:frowning:

Confirm this. However, the PT HTML help works fine here.

Updated the thread title to “Small bugs in PlexTools Prof 2.02” to make more clear what it’s about

thanx to all for the replys very appreciated :slight_smile:

hadn’t gotten as far to find the freedb issue.

okay i will try it again when the bugs are fixed as i need the freedb and the help file would be good :slight_smile:

Just to let everyone know. I received an email from Plextor engineering and they advised that the Freedb and the help issue’s have been resolved. :bow: you can download here

http://www.plextor.be/English/technical/downld_util.html

Originally posted by alchip80

the Freedb and the help issue’s have been resolved.
Yes, the bug has been fixed and the new PT 2.02a seems to work fine. Thanks for the good news !

:smiley:

There might be some other issues with the new plextools. I actually tried it out only for the first time to make a cd copy (backin up a audio cd, no protection at all). Freedb worked fine, cd-text was added fine, but durin playback i have this wierd scratching noise all over the cd.

And at the end it also said in the conclusion:

BP REC activiity 1 occurence , anyone know what that means?

Straight after i just went and made the same copy with Nero as usual, all was fine.

to all: thanx for the info and the link!

to hub: bp is burn proof technology that the plextor uses to keep from getting buffer under run. the bp activity 1 means burn proof kicked in once during burn. my slight understanding is the laser stops writing momentarily allowing cache to fill again.

from plextor site:
Plextor University - BURN-Proof Technology

What exactly is BURN-Proof?

“Buffer-UnderRuN-Proof Technology” was patented by Sanyo Electric Co. to prevent Buffer UnderRuns. BURN-Proofâ„¢ is accomplished by a combination of drive hardware, firmware, and supported writing software. This technology makes it possible for the user to write and multitask on their PC, where previously they could not. Lower performance PCs benefit by being able to perform high-speed recording, and do not have to suspend their work, close applications, or remove network connectivity when they are recording.

What is a “Buffer-UnderRun”?

A Buffer UnderRun occurs when the PC cannot deliver data fast enough to the drive’s buffer. If the drive’s buffer empties because of the lack of data, the laser will turn off. The resulting gap on the media usually renders a CD-R disc unusable. A CD-RW disc can be erased and re-recorded in this case.

How is BURN-Proof accomplished?

BURN-Proof is accomplished by a combination of drive hardware, firmware, and writing software that supports BURN-Proof. The drive’s firmware monitors the buffer level, waiting for the buffer to drop to a predetermined threshold. This threshold is normally below 10% of the total drive buffer capacity. Once the buffer drops below this threshold, BURN-Proof will pause the writing phase and memorize where the write left off. When the drive’s buffer returns to an adequate level, the writing continues where the last write left off.

How Does The Software Enable BURN-Proof?

When the writing software (i.e. Roxio Creator, Plextor Manager 2000) mounts the drive, a bit in the drive table is enabled to add the BURN-Proof functionality.

Which drives integrate BURN-Proof Technology?

The PX-W1210TA, PX-W1610TA, PX-W2410TA, PX-S88TA, PX-S88TU, PX-W1210TS, PX-W2410TU, PX-4012TA and any future CD-RW drives.

For Drives Without BURN-Proof, How Do I Prevent A Buffer-UnderRun?

Check the following:

Close all other programs (especially those that can activate on their own).

Disable in the taskbar: schedulers, animated icons, power managers, and anti-virus software.

Disconnect from the network.

Defragment your hard drive, clean out old files in your “Windows/Temp” directory.

While recording, be sure to not do anything on the PC.

THX for the info, i was certain that it had to do something with a buffer underrun i just couldt make out what BP was standing for.

Now if only i knew why the copy sounds as if someone had been makin a straching noise through out the album.

Originally posted by HUBinB

Now if only i knew why the copy sounds as if someone had been makin a straching noise through out the album.
Try to reduce the read speed setting, let’s say, to 8x CLV and rip the CD again.

Well yeah i could but when i backup audio cds i just usually make a “cdcopy” with Nero usin max readin and writing speeds and i never have any problem and i didnt have any problem with this cd either when i tryed it with Nero.

I just thought i would give a go at it this time with plextools and my results were terrible.

there isnt any cd protection on the audio cd
i used on the fly copy
liteon 165
+
Plex 48A, burnproof was ofcourse on

I just find it wierd that plextools couldnt deal with the backup when Nero blazed through it.

while the actual help file and manual from the help menu work there still is a problem.

when on tabs in preferences when i click on the “?” it opens dialoge box with the info like in digital extraction tab but… as i the 2.02 version when one is on any tab where the “help” isn’t grayed out on bottom rite it still gives message "unable to find Plextool.HLP file…

on the CD ROM MAKER tab, on the Q-CHECK C1/C2 TEST, on the Q-CHECK FE/TE TEST, and on the Q-CHECK BETA JITTER TEST tab also.

i realize that the tests are only part of the premium drive but why not the .HLP file?

surely the CD-ROM MAKER tab should have an active .hlp on bottom rite when clicked as its not greyed out?

is every one else getting same thing?
tia
+++++++++++++++++++
edit:
after writing this and trying the .hlp mentioned above when i then tryed to access the reular help file from the help menu i was greeted with same message from original bug!

a reboot and it now finds the help and manual again.
this evidently is a problem here that plextor must work out as the 2.02a version still needs some work.

i used on the fly copy
liteon 165
+
Plex 48A, burnproof was of course on

I just find it wierd that plextools couldnt deal with the backup when Nero blazed through it.

Have you ever tried ripping ‘Image file’ onto the HD and then burning it ?

I suggest you to download the [COLOR=purple]PXinfo program,
check your system and send the result to Plextor ( or here if you like ). [/COLOR]

Well no i havent ever burnt an audio cd usin an image file, as it was always fine “on the fly” usin Nero.

And i never thought of contacting Plextor as this was the first time i actually tryed backing up usin Plextools and other then this problem ive never had anything with my 48A drive. All my backups so far have been perfect; or atleast ive never noticed anything.

Just as with this cd usin nero, i made the same backup 5 minutes later without any restart or changes at all and it was fine

Anyway ill add the results from Plexinfo:

Plextor Info Utility V1.17A
Copyright © 1999-2002 Plextor SA/NV
21 May 2003

Software information

Operating system : Windows XP V5.01.2600 Service Pack 1
Windows ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) : Adaptec ASPI for Win32 (95/NT) DLL, V4.60 (1021) ( not used by PlexTools )
Roxio ASPI (cdral.dll) : n/a
Ahead ASPI (wnaspi32.dll) : Win32 Nero Aspi Library V2.0.1.59 ( not used by PlexTools )

Hardware information

Host Adapter: 0 SCSI ID: 0 Maximum # Targets : -
Description :
Type :

Port Driver : ElbyVCD.sys
Provider :
Description : VirtualCloneCD Driver (Elaborate Bytes AG)
Version : 4, 2, 0, 0
Date :

Host Adapter: 1 SCSI ID: - Maximum # Targets : -
Description :
Type :

Port Driver : atapi.sys
Provider :
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
Version : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Date :

ID 0: WDC WD12 00JB-00CRA1 V17.0

ID 1: WDC WD13 6AA V82.1

Host Adapter: 2 SCSI ID: - Maximum # Targets : -
Description : Secondary IDE Channel
Type : IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers

Port Driver : atapi.sys
Provider :
Description : IDE/ATAPI Port Driver (Microsoft Corporation)
Version : 5.1.2600.1106 (xpsp1.020828-1920)
Date :

ID 0: JLMS XJ-HD165H VCH11

ID 1 (G:) PLEXTOR CD-R PX-W4824A V1.04 (S/N:179189) (1.48.25C)
Read speed: 17-40 X CAV
Jumper Settings: 010
BURN-Proof enabled

USB Device Information:

Host Controller \.\HCD0 found.

VIA Rev 5 or later USB Universal Host Controller

| |—> Port[1] = I/O device connected
| | Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical®

Host Controller \.\HCD1 found.

Host Controller \.\HCD2 found.

Host Controller \.\HCD3 found.

VIA USB 2.0 Enhanced Host Controller

PlexTools Registry Information

General

PlexTools version : 2.02A
SaveSettings : true
Minimize : true
Create icon in taskbar : true
Autorun : false
Set trayicon after close : true
Read disc information : true

CD Info

DisplayMSF : true
DisplayISRC : false

Digital Audio Extraction

DetectPregap : false
IncludePregap : false
Use audio error detection : true
Reduce speed : true
SaveCDText : true
SaveTrackNumber : false
SaveArtist : false
mp3 encoding : L.A.M.E.
Audio Format : PCM
Path : D:\New Folder\New Folder
Filename : Track%N
Minimum bitrate : 4
Constant/Average bitrate : 0
Maximum bitrate : 3
Quality : 0
L.A.M.E. encoding method : ABR

CD Copy

Overburn : false
CopyOnTheFly : false
Use audio error detection : false
Reduce speed : false
Eject destination disc : false
ISRC : false
UPC : false
CD+G : false
LeaveDiscOpen : false
PlaySound : false
WriteOption : Write
Copies : 1
Temp. path : D:\CD-R Temp
sound path : none
source path : C:\DOCUME~1\Gyuri\LOCALS~1\Temp
destination path : C:\DOCUME~1\Gyuri\LOCALS~1\Temp\

AudioCD Maker

WriteOption : Simulate + Write
CDText : true
UPC : true
ISRC : true
WriteSpeed : maximum
Copies : 1

Oh and chevysales!! i checked it out, had the same results as what u reported.

hub,

you really should burn as an image file first using your plextor to extract and either nero or plextools will tell you when to put in blank this with plextools and nero (same combo i use). now with nero you want to use “discspace strategy/tempfile strategy” tempfile is the way to go if you have the space which most of us do.

i would bet your recordings will be better than on the fly.

any site i have been to regarding this would say either extract wavs with a secure rip (or plextools) and burn the wavs OR go the image file route (i do image always) much better results here when i compare source to recording in cool edit pro 2.1 or look at disc quality.

good luck and don’t give up on plextols as it does IMO do better with audio than nero.

Well no i havent ever burnt an audio cd usin an image file
Too bad. You’d rather try it first and see how it works.
Well, as for your log, goto :

Control Panel > System > Hardware Tab > Device Manager > SCSI and RAID Controllers
and disable Virtual CloneDrive

Hopefully this could help.