SlySoft works on AnyDVD HD for backing up HD DVD content

vbimport

I just posted the article SlySoft works on AnyDVD HD for backing up HD DVD content.

Going by a post on SlySoft’s support forum, it looks like they are already working an alpha version of AnyDVD HD, according to this WesleyTech report, which claims to have reached a stage where…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12962-SlySoft-works-on-AnyDVD-HD-for-backing-up-HD-DVD-content.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12962-SlySoft-works-on-AnyDVD-HD-for-backing-up-HD-DVD-content.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Woo hoo !!! Sign me up. :slight_smile:

Excellent Slysoft looking foward to it and all the best :slight_smile: :X :g

Admittedly, I don’t care much about HDDVD, but I don’t understand why this product is a big deal. Here’s my issue: What is this software being used for? This software is used to rip discs. So if you HAVE the HDDVD movie, and an HDDVD-ROM, you can rip it to your computer. You can also share it with other people, via peer-2-peer, or burn it onto 2-4 DVD+RDL’s, or via external HDD. Realistically MOST people probably won’t be doing this. SOME people will share the files via peer-2-peer, but most people probably don’t want to D/L 15GB-30GB of data for 1 movie. Also, ISP’s are cracking down on bandwidth use a lot as well (at least in my area). Even when HDDVD-R burners become available, the media cost is very expensive. If you’re burning a copy for a friend who ALSO has an HDDVD drive/player, then there would be some savings (not to mention legality issues), but it’s still pretty expensive for a copied disc. So what are people going to be using this for?

so now we have got hd rips clogging up the usenet

What most people will use this for in the beginning is getting rid of the ridiculous hardware requirement restrictions that are placed on them. For instance, some people with the beautiful Apple Cinema LCD displays will be happy because the HDCP requirement can be removed from their HD-DVD movies allowing them to use a HTPC to playback their movies in full resolution. Also skipping through the crap on the HD-DVD’s like we do with regular DVD’s will be nice…no studio logos, 15 minutes of previews, etc to sit through. It will make the movie playback experience that much nicer. Some day, when discs are cheaper and hardware is more prevalant, then backing up movies will become a reality. DVD’s didn’t just magically start out at 50 cents a disc, either. They were also expensive when they first came out. Now, they aren’t. As with all things, it will come down in price.

@SamuriHL Thanks for that, I hadn’t considered the HDCP requirement removal… that makes some sense at least. I’m not sure people would go to all the trouble to rip and store an HDDVD image just to avoid a few trailers and forced screens though.

“due to no region coding, less DRM and the low-cost Xbox360 HD DVD drive” And some people still buy blurays…

Guess we just need to master those to work in Blu-Ray Players :DDDDDDDDDD Atleast Blu-Ray HAS discs to burn em on. Not to mention BD Writers. Unlike the upcomming HD DVD Writer in Single Layer :D. Well, i might support AnyDVD on this one. Only to help kill sales of HD DVD’s even more :slight_smile:

Guess we just need to master those to work in Blu-Ray Players :DDDDDDDDDD Atleast Blu-Ray HAS discs to burn em on. Not to mention BD Writers. Unlike the upcomming HD DVD Writer in Single Layer :D. Well, i might support AnyDVD on this one. Only to help kill sales of HD DVD’s even more :slight_smile:

I just bought, a few months ago, a new 24" Dell monitor. It would be nice to look at full resolution HD content on it. Anyways, I own AnyDVD and it is an awesome program for DVDs so I can only expect that this will be just as good.

It is also important to me that these DRM schemes are proven to be useless and even a waste of investment for the content providers. Once we purchase and item of entertainment…we should be able to use them as we wish. Technology gives us new opportunities ever day to help us enjoy our purchases in our homes and with our friends. DRM simply is not acceptable. I am uncomfortable with a company dictating to me what I can and cannot do with something I have bought. I am also uncomfortable being “locked in” to a format or product simply due to the shackles of the DRM that tags along with it. It stifles competition and price drops. It limits choice. Frankly, it is none of their damn business, what I do, as long as I am not breaking the law. If I am, there are laws on the books that address these issues.

@Dolphinius_Rex From my understanding, it will not be necessary to rip the title to the hard drive in order to remove the HDCP and movie trailers and stuff…it’ll be done in real time. :slight_smile: Hence, for an HTPC experience this will be GREAT. Throw an Xbox 360 drive on your HTPC, hook it up to a large TV or monitor, and enjoy. That to me has merit and value and I for one would be willing to pay for that. Ripping to the hard drive…well, I suppose if you had a couple terrabytes kicking around. LOL :slight_smile: (Which, again, that was said about DVD’s way back when, too. Given some time and advancement of technology we’ll be seeing backups and rips in a few years easily)

First people wrong about “uses” - First and major use I can see is play the disk on non “HDMI/HDCP enabled” computer. Paying few bucks fot “AnyHDDVD” is way cheaper then replacing your video card and monitor. - Another use : streaming over network to networked player. - Backup of course is costly for now but this will change soon. Also when calculating backup costs not forget the HD DVD movie prices ! And kids still tend top destroy disks, may be media cost a lot but it steal cheaper then buying another copy. All this are completely legal reasons to use such software.

• Another reason : it will allow the playback of ripped HD DVDs on non-Windows OSes like Linux.

:stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :S :* :frowning: :slight_smile: :wink: