Slysoft.com down for legal reasons

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: Slysoft.com down for legal reasons[newsimage]http://www.myce.com/wp-content/images_posts/2014/04/anydvd-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

The website of CloneBD and AnyDVD developer Slysoft is down for legal reasons. The site went down yesterday which means users can no longer download and purchase the software.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/slysoft-down-for-legal-reasons-78654/](http://www.myce.com/news/slysoft-down-for-legal-reasons-78654/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

What is the point? This is a perfectly legal product at least in my country. I am allowed under current laws to make a backup of my own personally owned DVD/Blu-Ray.
The fact that they protect it of course makes this process harder. Here Slysoft, among others, provide a backup solution that makes me able to create the backup I need. Nothing wrong with that, I actually appreciate it even though I do not use Slysoft software personally.

If anyone disagree, I am all in for a debate about principles [I]sharpening axe[/I] :wink:

Many of us including me, agree with that pov Xercus. However that’s not how the AACS-LA and the MPAA see it and you know that as well as i do. The US likes to force it’s laws upon other countries wether they have a right to or not. We can only wait on what the next step will be and what the official news from slysoft will say.

I do not know much, but I do know that there are many ways to skin a cat, and I hope that they find one.

Great buy doing so it makes more News and people looking to buy Slysoft products when again. Don’t they get it they just make news how great Slysoft is and more people go looking for it. Thy sword is a double edge and it comes back to bite.

Slysoft is a commercial enterprise, first and foremost. It is easy to lose sight of this when talking about their software as an instrument used by individuals to maintain their fair rights use of materials that they have purchased. If the studios can make the costs of doing business high enough, they can undermine the logical basis of keeping the company extant. Uncertainty of their legal position in Antigua might be enough to push them out of this business.

I’m not saying that will happen this time. They’ve probably prepared for the day when their legal status in Antigua is attacked by the movie studios, the MPAA and the AACS LA. But continued pressure will undoubtedly be the norm, especially if the AACS LA believe they can hamper any attempt by Slysoft to crack the new encryption seen on the Ultra HD Blu-ray format.

Eventually, the folks at Slysoft may decide that the rewards don’t make up for the hassle.

And there are other economic forces on Slysoft as well. Fewer and fewer people are making backups of movies. I see this at many sites, where posters talk about movie decryption as something belonging to the last decade. Virtually everyone who has access to streaming sites have moved on, away from decrypting their own copies of movies. Buying DVD’s and Blu-ray movies is itself a slowly dying activity, with many people using Netflix, Hulu and other sites instead. The large rental company Redbox is also showing this trend, with sales declining year on year, and their forecast for rentals is gloomy.

Combine the declining market and legal pressures and you can make the argument that Slysoft’s future is just as dark. Breaking the upcoming Ultra HD encryption may give them a small boost, but that format will be a niche product, and I personally don’t believe it will even reach the popularity levels of 1080p Blu-ray, much less the high points reached by DVD’s and the surging interest in streaming.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2768841]Slysoft is a commercial enterprise, first and foremost. It is easy to lose sight of this when talking about their software as an instrument used by individuals to maintain their fair rights use of materials that they have purchased. If the studios can make the costs of doing business high enough, they can undermine the logical basis of keeping the company extant. Uncertainty of their legal position in Antigua might be enough to push them out of this business.[/QUOTE]Like not paying the Music Artists that they claim to represent??? This is hypocrisy in the making here.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2768841]I’m not saying that will happen this time. They’ve probably prepared for the day when their legal status in Antigua is attacked by the movie studios, the MPAA and the AACS LA. But continued pressure will undoubtedly be the norm, especially if the AACS LA believe they can hamper any attempt by Slysoft to crack the new encryption seen on the Ultra HD Blu-ray format.[/QUOTE]Really eventually someone will break it they are fighting a loosing battle here-Regardless of what happens to Slysoft.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2768841]Eventually, the folks at Slysoft may decide that the rewards don’t make up for the hassle.[/QUOTE]I’ll believe that when I see it.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2768841]And there are other economic forces on Slysoft as well. Fewer and fewer people are making backups of movies. I see this at many sites, where posters talk about movie decryption as something belonging to the last decade. Virtually everyone who has access to streaming sites have moved on, away from decrypting their own copies of movies. Buying DVD’s and Blu-ray movies is itself a slowly dying activity, with many people using Netflix, Hulu and other sites instead. The large rental company Redbox is also showing this trend, with sales declining year on year, and their forecast for rentals is gloomy.[/QUOTE]This is a rosy world view not everyone has access to broad band or can afford boardband. And the Midwest of the US still has Dial-UP. So not everyone is equal here.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2768841]Combine the declining market and legal pressures and you can make the argument that Slysoft’s future is just as dark. Breaking the upcoming Ultra HD encryption may give them a small boost, but that format will be a niche product, and I personally don’t believe it will even reach the popularity levels of 1080p Blu-ray, much less the high points reached by DVD’s and the surging interest in streaming.[/QUOTE]There are still movies in DVD, BD and not all of them are decrypted yet. Plus there is a cost to getting UH BD equipment since people just got BD setups and since no one is buying their used entertainment I doubt Ultra coming to a Home Near you anytime soon.

I just added an update to the original story showing the message that now exists at Slysoft.com.

Very sad to see this if it turns out to be the last word on Slysoft and AnyDVD.

I got news for you the US government doesn’t give a tinkers damn about what slysoft is doing. If you want to blame anyone, blame AACS-LA.

Let me explain something here. From the US Governments POV the more people in the world who see a Hollywood movie the better. Hollywood movies carry US values such as it’s not nice to chop off people’s hands for stealing, Democracy is a Good Thing, women should not be repressed, and Religion belongs in the church or Mosque not in the government. That is why the US Government encourages Hollywood. That is also why the Indian government encourages Bollywood, and some Arab countries are waking up and encouraging their filmmakers and so on.

These filmmakers are the ones who care about totting up the money. The governments just want their culture disseminated as widely as possible. It is the filmmakers who are funding the forces against Slysoft and from their POV it is a war over money, that is all.

More and more countries in the world are hosting propagand…I mean filmmaking industries and as these industries get powerful they are applying pressure to Slysoft - I am sure Slysoft knows it has a lot of enemies in many places.

[QUOTE=Kerry56;2768845]I just added an update to the original story showing the message that now exists at Slysoft.com.

Very sad to see this if it turns out to be the last word on Slysoft and AnyDVD.[/QUOTE]
Just plain wrong here. But for those with LTL and downloaded latest version of CloneBD consider themselves lucky. I got all the latest version and very glad to bought LTL for all the software. Even if they are gone well hopefully my Anydvd HD still work and does the job for now. Even then those software writers will start somewhere again and create again. So the Slysoft maybe gone but the software and know how will not be gone. All their wack-a-mole will not stop the progress from going forward-it will just go underground. Do they really think they can stop it-the more they try the more it keeps coming back to bite them. Guess buying a CloneBD LTL was lucky for me and those that bought it.

CloneBD isn’t developed nor owned by slysoft. They simply offered the setup. CloneBD is an exclusive product by elaborate bytes at www.elby.ch. they are the developers and sellers, the same is true for CloneDVD etc. CloneBD will very likely continue to be developed as it is a 100% legal product as it doesn’t circumvent any decryption.

It’s my right to deal with my BD discs, i support tools like CloneBD and anyDVD. It might be tough time for the company, but i believe they may get through the issue like DVDFab does.

I believe this attack against SlySoft happened now with the planned release of the first 4K discs in March.

[QUOTE=tmittelstaedt;2768848]I got news for you the US government doesn’t give a tinkers damn about what slysoft is doing. If you want to blame anyone, blame AACS-LA.

Let me explain something here. From the US Governments POV the more people in the world who see a Hollywood movie the better. Hollywood movies carry US values such as it’s not nice to chop off people’s hands for stealing, Democracy is a Good Thing, women should not be repressed, and Religion belongs in the church or Mosque not in the government. That is why the US Government encourages Hollywood. That is also why the Indian government encourages Bollywood, and some Arab countries are waking up and encouraging their filmmakers and so on.

These filmmakers are the ones who care about totting up the money. The governments just want their culture disseminated as widely as possible. It is the filmmakers who are funding the forces against Slysoft and from their POV it is a war over money, that is all.

More and more countries in the world are hosting propagand…I mean filmmaking industries and as these industries get powerful they are applying pressure to Slysoft - I am sure Slysoft knows it has a lot of enemies in many places.[/QUOTE]

The following contradicts parts of what you write above:

Whatever, if this really is the final word concerning Slysoft, I must say it is a sad day. Not that I doubt for a second that another company will pop up offering a [B]very[/B] similar product :stuck_out_tongue:

However, if the players in the U.S. are allowed to shut down companies providing legal products internationally at will and thus affect the entire world, a principal debate on the subject of U.S. acceptable behavior really is in place. I mean, I do not live in the U.S, am not bound by U.S. laws and so this comes forth as a violation of my rights and consequently, the U.S. dropping a brick in the laws of my country.

[QUOTE=Ch3vr0n;2768853]CloneBD isn’t developed nor owned by slysoft. They simply offered the setup. CloneBD is an exclusive product by elaborate bytes at www.elby.ch. they are the developers and sellers, the same is true for CloneDVD etc. CloneBD will very likely continue to be developed as it is a 100% legal product as it doesn’t circumvent any decryption.[/QUOTE]
Unfortunately without AnyDVD HD running CloneBD by itself is worthless. Glad I am part of the few that bought LTL so we can now have it even though Slysoft is gone. Elby CloneBD can’t do much without Anydvd HD. Guess it’s now DVDFab Passkey that will be the next target. And this part won’t make me buy their DRM infected movies: [QUOTE=Pelvis Popcan;2768857]I believe this attack against SlySoft happened now with the planned release of the first 4K discs in March.[/QUOTE]Now users of Anydvd HD will most likely go and buy a LTL of DVDFab Passkey like I am going to do to further protect my investments. Can anyone with Passkey confirm it works with CloneBD?

@coolcolours
If I remember rightly, Passkey requires internet access to decrypt discs. If anything should happen to DVDFab in the future, Passkey may well be rendered useless.

I think the Chinese government would have to get involved and dont bet that they will take orders from the AACS-LA.

[QUOTE=mike20021969;2768883]@coolcolours
If I remember rightly, Passkey requires internet access to decrypt discs. If anything should happen to DVDFab in the future, Passkey may well be rendered useless.[/QUOTE]

Isn’t that just for BD+?

AnyDVD required net access as well for a lot of BD+ discs.

[QUOTE=alan1476;2768884]I think the Chinese government would have to get involved and dont bet that they will take orders from the AACS-LA.[/QUOTE]

Neither does Antigua.

Basically the US government did some things to make Antigua part of an “International Incident”, which apparently affects the island’s government and/or international business (i.e. money) in such a way that they made SlySoft close down.

Same thing could happen anywhere else.

I suspect the AACS-LA paid some people to make this happen.

[QUOTE=Pelvis Popcan;2768898]Neither does Antigua.

Basically the US government did some things to make Antigua part of an “International Incident”, which apparently affects the island’s government and/or international business (i.e. money) in such a way that they made SlySoft close down.

Same thing could happen anywhere else.

I suspect the AACS-LA paid some people to make this happen.[/QUOTE]

I think I would say anywhere but China… besides taking orders from none, at the moment, they are way too valuable to the western world for even the U.S. to try and isolate them. Then you have Russia as well which take orders from none… Antigua is small and rather fragile in this context.