Slysoft CloneDVD vs Elby CloneDVD vs CloneDVD.net

vbimport

Hello,
I’m a bit confused between all those “CloneDVD”, I read in the faq a tutorial for the elby CloneDVD but what is the link between the 3 cloneDvD ? Are their all of them independant and from different compagnies or are there common points ? Which one is the best atm ?

elby CloneDVD make the software and SlySoft market it, or somthing like that. Basically these two are the same. Slysoft seems to have the newer version though. It is just cosmetic though if you check the revision history file.

I have no idea who CloneDVD.net are. Possibly there are using the well known name to get sales for there product.

Olli will answer this the best however the story goes something like this:

Clonecd under the development of Elby started a new project, which we all assumed would be called clonedvd as a natural progression. The software took time to create and in the meantime another company trying to jump on the successful name of clonecd brought out their own version of clonedvd (.net) As we waited patiently for the official release, it finally came and Elby called it Clonedvd (as expected). So now there are two, one from the original authour of clonecd and another one from another company.

Due to some copyright laws Clonecd in the meantime had been sold to Slysoft, who operates in a country with relaxed laws, therfore allowing development of clonecd to still continue. This then gives the links between the two companies, and through continual development of Anydvd and Clonedvd which depend on eachother to successfully create a backup, a decision was made to market them both together. This way deals can be done, so the end user saves money. You can see these deals on the slysoft website.

So from a solely marketing point of view clonedvd can be purchased in a deal with anydvd on the slysoft website, or on it’s own on the elby website. The difference in the version number is only the page when on the trial it links to the page to buy the software. So if you download the slysoft trial, it will link to the slysoft site and vice versa.

I must stress this is the only difference between the two.

Ok, well to rap rhis up:

Clonedvd.net = arguably a fake pretender using the well respected name if clonexxx

Clonedvd (elby) = original that links to elby site

Clonedvd (slysoft) = For marketing so the user can buy bundles, it links to slysoft site.

Ok, thx for the little story :slight_smile: !

@Ockingshay:
Couldn’t have said it better myself!

:wink: :smiley:

I have just come across this “CloneDVD”. I am interested if ever anybody tried this software? And why is it allowed to use Slysoft’s software brandname???

"…CloneDVD is designed to back up your existing DVD collection to DVD-R/RW or DVD+R/RW. CloneDVD can make DVD to DVD copy come true. With a DVD burner, you will get true DVD copies of your DVD collection.

You can not only copy your DVD collection to blank DVD discs, but also copy DVDs to hard disk folders. You can also output ISO image files of your DVDs.

Clone DVD is very flexible, for both the source and the target of copy can be one of the DVD drive, hard disk folder or ISO image file. Clone DVD will copy DVD movies between any two of them.

Download Buy Now Screenshot Support

Features
Real DVD clone by 1:1
Copy all the Special Features, Menus, Subtitles & Languages, nothing to lose
Perfect Video & Audio Quality - like the original!
Without warning screen, watermark, copied DVD is same as the DVD movie you bought
Supports copy Copyright-Protected DVD movies. Build-in DVD Ripper, allows you make backup of CSS(Content Scrambling System) encrypted movie
Support copy DVDs into hard disk, and also allows you create DVD image(.ISO) from DVDs
Remove region protection(Region-free), remove RPC-I/RPC-II/RCE region protection automatically during copying
Macrovision-Free features allows You view & record the copied DVDs through your TV-out device without obstruction or distortion
Supports both DVD-9(8.5GB) and DVD-5(4.7GB) movies.
Supports split DVD-9 into two blanks. Supports DVD-9 to DVD-5 copy, allows you to copy main movie only to fit into one DVD-R
High compatibility. Supports NTSC and PAL DVD movies. Copied DVDs can be playback on home & PC DVD Player
Supports DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW. Supports most popular DVD recorder/DVD burner on the marketing
Supports external Nero burning engine
Very simple to use. Your favorite DVD is just one click away from being cloned. Without any complicated parameter settings
Fast DVD copy! Copy of a 2-hour DVD movie can be finished within 45 minutes to one hour. (Depending on your system performance)
Free upgrades and patches
Free Live Technical Support

• Free 14-Day Trial
  • The trial version can only copy #1 disc, if you want to use full functions, please order one copy of CloneDVD

System Requirements
Intel CPU with 350 MHz and MMX, or AMD CPU with 450 MHz and 3Dnow! or higher

64MB RAM or more

DVD-R, DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+RW

Microsoft Windows 98/98SE/ME, Windows NT/2000/2003, Windows XP

4-9 GB disk space…"

CloneDVD is a brandname of Elaborate Bytes AG, and no, CloneDVD.net are not allowed to use it. They sit in China and simply don’t care.

CloneDVD.net is AFAIK a very expensive applictaion (twice the price of the SlySoft AnyDVD & CloneDVD bundle) and can do much less.

Thanks for the answer, Olli.

I was just surprised.

OK guys…I thought I had this totally under control and now I see this in the latest SLYSOFT update to CloneCD 5.0.2.1 2004-09-16:-

- Change: no longer accepts elby keycodes
elby Customers may contact SlySoft support for a special
upgrade offer

Does this mean that the products MIGHT be going there own ways?
If I purchased ANYDVD and CLONEDVD (like I did back in the “old” days) from Elby and CLONECD from SLYSOFT will I be disadvantaged?
Why are you guys confusing us…or is it just me :slight_smile:

Regards

crhendo

CloneCD isn’t same thing as CloneDVD… If you bought CloneDVD and AnyDVD you seem to be allright… CloneCD you didn’t buy from elby nor slysoft (at least of yet)

Or do you mean that you might some day lose something if they do the same with CloneDVD? THAT is one question I can’t answer, but perhaps Slysoft gives you answer if you wait some time :slight_smile:

Sorry…my confusion led to my mistake :slight_smile: What I meant to say was:-

In the latest SLYSOFT update to CloneCD 5.0.2.1 2004-09-16 there is a change history entry that says :-

- Change: no longer accepts elby keycodes
elby Customers may contact SlySoft support for a special
upgrade offer

Does this mean that CLONECD purchased from Slysoft or Elby is now becoming a separate/different product?

If I purchased ANYDVD and CLONECD (like I did back in the “old” days) from Slysoft and CLONEDVD from Elby I appear to be in the best/safest position for new features moving forward…would you agree?

I am very sorry for my confusion in the previous post.

Regards

crhendo

> Does this mean that CLONECD purchased from Slysoft or Elby is now becoming a separate/different product? <

Yes, because CloneCD from Elby NO LONGER EXISTS. For over a year now (except in Switzerland retail).

> If I purchased ANYDVD and CLONECD (like I did back in the “old” days) from Slysoft and CLONEDVD from Elby I appear to be in the best/safest position for new features moving forward…would you agree? <

:iagree:

clonedvd.net is garbage anyway - just don’t bother wasting your time with it. stick with the real deal