Slowwww poke PLEASE HELP

vbimport

OK Iam using this old back-up computer which is an HP Pavillion 6730, I think it is around 6 years old. It was upgraded with an 80GB hard drive and 128 MB SDRAM I dont know when.

The problem I am having is it works great after I first start it up or if I restart it but if I get into ebay or do some word work it gets really slow and the longer I am on it the slower it gets to where I am falling asleep waiting for it to load 1 page.
What is wrong with this thing???

[quote=groceryjunkie2;2104441]OK Iam using this old back-up computer which is an HP Pavillion 6730, I think it is around 6 years old. It was upgraded with an 80GB hard drive and 128 MB SDRAM I dont know when.

The problem I am having is it works great after I first start it up or if I restart it but if I get into ebay or do some word work it gets really slow and the longer I am on it the slower it gets to where I am falling asleep waiting for it to load 1 page.
What is wrong with this thing???[/quote]
What is the OS you have on it?

[QUOTE=groceryjunkie2;2104441]OK Iam using this old back-up computer which is an HP Pavillion 6730, I think it is around 6 years old. It was upgraded with an 80GB hard drive and 128 MB SDRAM I dont know when.

What is wrong with this thing???[/QUOTE]

I think it has to do with you amount of RAM as well, can your RAM be upgraded more to 512Meg or 1G at least?? Your trying to do to much with not enough RAM to begin with…regardless of the O/S your using…

…and thirdly: the hard disk is probably having to work quite hard, although 80 GB is not too bad (considering many laptops have ~20 GB). Check the disk activity light to see how much it’s illuminated, also the total disk space that’s available and clear out anything not essential. Then defragment with one of the free defraggers available.

With that sort of spec I’d recommend running Win98 (SE) if you’re not already; XP will be really struggling. Adding a second hard drive to the system (get a bargain second hand one on ebay) and then moving the windows paging file onto this drive will also help speed things up a little.

Sláinte

midders

[QUOTE=GJ;2104443]What is the OS you have on it?[/QUOTE]

The OS is WINDOWS 98 and yes I tried to run XP but it is just not fast enough.

Is there a cheap place to get more memory???

[QUOTE=midders;2104543]With that sort of spec I’d recommend running Win98 (SE) if you’re not already; XP will be really struggling. Adding a second hard drive to the system (get a bargain second hand one on ebay) and then moving the windows paging file onto this drive will also help speed things up a little.

Sláinte

midders[/QUOTE]

HEY!!! I DO have a spare 10GB seagate I salvaged from an old tower, will that work???

[quote=groceryjunkie2;2105626]
Is there a cheap place to get more memory???[/quote]
Where are you located?

[QUOTE=imkidd57;2104532]…and thirdly: the hard disk is probably having to work quite hard, although 80 GB is not too bad (considering many laptops have ~20 GB). Check the disk activity light to see how much it’s illuminated, also the total disk space that’s available and clear out anything not essential. Then defragment with one of the free defraggers available.[/QUOTE]

OK MY COMPUTER says Capacity: 74.4GB Used 5.21GB

SYSTEM PROPERTIES says memory: 127.0 MB of RAM 54% free

Please remember I am computer stupid(illiterate) and I dont know what I do and dont need to “clear out”.

What other information can I supply that might help with the diagnosis???

[QUOTE=GJ;2105628]Where are you located?[/QUOTE]

I am in Central Kentucky, USA

OK, I believe you can get more memory from Newegg.com here’s a link http://www.newegg.com/ but you should check first to see how much memory you can have on your computer before purchasing

How do I find out how much memory my puter can handle???

Ok, here’s a link to the motherboard for the HP Pavilion 6730 desktop http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=bph05159&lc=en&cc=us&dest_page=softwareCategory&os=228&tool=softwareCategory&dlc=en&product=58757 Sorry for the long link but I not know how to make smaller. By the looks of it all you can have is 512gb (2x256mb). So it up to you to find out what you have and want. also make sure you buy the correct kinf of memory

Thanks for the link,What I am actually trying to do is upload some pics on ebay and EVERYTIME I try I get this runtime error!!!
Something to do with MICROSOFT VISUAL C++ RUNTIME LIBRARY
RUNTIME ERROR
PROGRAM:C"\PROGRAM FILES\INTERNET EXPLORER\IEXPLORE.EXE

Can anybody help me with this???

[QUOTE=groceryjunkie2;2105627]HEY!!! I DO have a spare 10GB seagate I salvaged from an old tower, will that work???[/QUOTE]

This will work, but will probably be significantly slower than your current hard drive which will offset the advantage of having the paging file on a separate drive.

In terms of memory, open the case up and have a look at it; manufacturers have a nasty habit of filling all the available memory slots with small modules rather than one big one which would leave space for an upgrade. You might have to ditch your current memory and buy all new chips. If you’re lucky you can pull one of the current chips out and it’ll have a nice clear label identifying exactly what sort of RAM it is, but this is not always the case. Follow GJ’s link to your motherboard specs to find out exactly what sort of RAM you need and what combinations will be supported (some older MoBos required pairs of identical RAM chips).

As for buying RAM, I’d start at ebay, unless newegg are ridiculously cheap; RAM is pretty bullet proof; it either fails out of the box when new, or goes on indefinitely.

Sláinte

midders