Slower writing with faster discs?

Hello. This is my first post, and I’m real glad I found this site. I’m having a little trouble and I would greatly appreciate any help.

I make backup dvd’s with 1 Click and my HP dvd-rw that came with my computer. My writer is also my reader, so I have to put in the dvd I want to copy, let it load, take it out, put the blank one it, and let it write.

I recently started having a little trouble after I got some blank dvd’s that are a faster speed than my writer. My dvd-rw writes at 8X speed, and I used to have 8X speed dvd+r discs. Burn time would usually take about 15 minutes.

I currently have 16X speed dvd+r discs and burn time is about 30 minutes. Did the burn time go up since the discs are a faster speed?

Also, I was looking to get another writer. I was planning on getting a 16X dvd-rw since I have the 16X discs. Would a 16X writer be ok if my dvd-rom reads at 8X? I’m not sure exactly what the read speed is, but I assume it reads at 8X since it burns at 8X.

Thanks!

Del

Not if they’re being recognized as 4X Discs or the software and/or writer decide to switch back to a default writing strategy. Which may be 4x

Also, I was looking to get another writer. I was planning on getting a 16X dvd-rw since I have the 16X discs. Would a 16X writer be ok if my dvd-rom reads at 8X? I’m not sure exactly what the read speed is, but I assume it reads at 8X since it burns at 8X.

Your discs will not be fully written on 16x anyway. Read some reviews on the main page about writing strategies.

To better answer your question, your old 8x discs may have been better quality than your new 16x discs. Your 8x’s were probably writing at the full 8x, whereas, your new 16x discs may now be able to write any faster than 4x. Your drive firmware reads the media code of the dvd, and then determines the best write strategy (speed) for the disc. Being as you only have an 8x burner, I would recommend just buying good quality 8x dvd’s, or get better quality 16x dvd’s. Look for media Made In Japan.

I would imagine that the 8x HP writer will not recognise any of the latest 16x media, so will default to writing at 4x only with questionable quality.

You have 2 choices:-

1. Do as Harley says and continue buying quality 8x media
    or
  2. If you want to carry on with 16x media then get a new 16x burner.

At least with an 8x writer there is still plenty of 8x media available, those with 4x writers are running out of options.