Slower cd burn speed/ Help?

vbimport

Hi. I’m new to the site and the computer. Be gentle with me. My 2006 Jeep Liberty cd player will not play any cd burned at over 8x. (Well, not home-burned, anyway.) I have tried lowering the burn speed on my Nero 8 and on Windows Media Player when I burn, but as soon as I put the cd in to burn, the speed automatically goes back up and won’t go lower than 16x. My burner is ATAPI DVD A DH16A1P. ( I hope that wasn’t shouting, that’s how it was written.) My cd’s are Sony CD-R (1x-48x.) Can anyone help? Thanks.

Hi and Welcome!

Your drive (a Liteon btw) does not support CD-R write speeds below 16x. You can’t do anything about this, since this is a feature of the drive’s firmware.

The culprit is your car stereo that seems not to be designed to work with CD-R (anything in the manual about that?). You might try other media, maybe the unit reads these accidentially.

Michael

Thank you so much for your help! I have always been able to play other CD-R in the car stereo, as long as they were burned at 8x or lower. (The manual has nothing about it.) What other types of media would you suggest, if you don’t mind me bothering you again? Jamie

A welcome from me, too, jamejame. :slight_smile:

Actually, it has been noticed that LiteOn drives are poor CD writers when it comes to certain things, with the newer A1P/A4P drives being poor when it comes to jitter due to less-than-good writing strategies.

I personally would suggest trying Verbatim-branded media, and writing at near the rated speed. Ultimately, I would suggest another drive for CD writing, but the Verbatim media might help. :iagree:

Hi,[quote=Albert;2031646]

Actually, it has been noticed that LiteOn drives are poor CD writers[/quote]Agreed :iagree:

I personally would suggest trying Verbatim-branded media,
:confused: Verbatim branded media can be anything:

[ul]
[li]Extra Protection is just random stuff from different manufacturers like CMC, Prodisc, MBI or TY[/li][li]Their DataLife+ series is acceptable, but often suffers from higher jitter. I expected them to be better[/li][li]Their Pastel series (by TY) is excellent :)[/ul][/li]

and writing at near the rated speed.
Another :confused: Writing them at 40x or something like that? :disagree:

Ultimately, I would suggest another drive for CD writing,
:iagree: Samsungs are rather good CD writers :slight_smile:

Michael

[quote=mciahel;2031736]
:confused: Verbatim branded media can be anything:[ul]
[li]Extra Protection is just random stuff from different manufacturers like CMC, Prodisc, MBI or TY[/li][li]Their DataLife+ series is acceptable, but often suffers from higher jitter. I expected them to be better[/li][li]Their Pastel series (by TY) is excellent :)[/ul][/QUOTE]Right. :doh: I forgot about all the variants. Michael is most definitely right here. :iagree:[/li]> Another :confused: Writing them at 40x or something like that? :disagree:
Should have been more specific. 24x or 32x. Somehow, the LiteOns seem to actually write MARGINALLY better at higher speeds than slower speeds, except when it comes to 48x [and sometimes 40x]. Not sure how that worked out, but it held/holds true. Again, another slip-up on my part.

The write quality still isn’t up to par, though.

:iagree: Samsungs are rather good CD writers :slight_smile:

Michael

:iagree:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2031215]Hi and Welcome!

Your drive (a Liteon btw) does not support CD-R write speeds below 16x. You can’t do anything about this, since this is a feature of the drive’s firmware.

The culprit is your car stereo that seems not to be designed to work with CD-R (anything in the manual about that?). You might try other media, maybe the unit reads these accidentially.

Michael[/QUOTE]

That is something, I also noticed if I used my 20A1H to burn it wouldn’t go below 16x but my older 832S would go to 8x burn and that fixed my burn to be able to play on my Sony car stereo. But I did use Nero 6 version. Guess each unit has its good and bad points…

Thank you all so much for all your help. My husband bought me the computer for Christmas -and he knows less about them than I do, and I know close to zilch. He told the salesman what I would like to do with a computer and bought what the salesman told him to. All in all I love it, and I don’t plan to do a whole lot of burning. I just would like to be able to play the burned CDs in my car. So I really wouldn’t want to have to buy another burner so soon. Plus he’d think he’d done a poor job of Christmas shopping, and I wouldn’t hurt his feelings for anything.
I really am a complete newbie to the computer and I’m afraid I don’t understand about the Verbatim rated media. At first I thought it was a brand, but I guess that’s not correct. Could you clarify it for me? And do you think a better brand of media might fix the problem? I hate to be a pest, but I really didn’t understand what you meant. I do appreciate the help.
Jamie

Hi,[quote=jamejame;2032120]Thank you all so much for all your help. My husband bought me the computer for Christmas -and he knows less about them than I do, and I know close to zilch. He told the salesman what I would like to do with a computer and bought what the salesman told him to.[/quote]I seriously doubt, a salesman does know about the strenghts and weaknesses of the components that are used in the computers he sells. He isn’t even to blame about that.

Plus he’d think he’d done a poor job of Christmas shopping, and I wouldn’t hurt his feelings for anything.
Well, it is really hard to explain, another drive is needed for a special purpose, unless the recipient is a regular CDfreaks member :slight_smile:
So I take it as given that another drive is no option. Unfortunately, Liteon DVD writers are poor CD burners :frowning:

I really am a complete newbie to the computer and I’m afraid I don’t understand about the Verbatim rated media. At first I thought it was a brand, but I guess that’s not correct. Could you clarify it for me?
Let me try. (Advanced members: I am simplifying here)
There are the disc manufacturers. They make the discs. Since any manufacturer has its own ideas how to make discs, discs from different manufacturers are treated differently by burners. They read some code from the disc to identify them (each manufacturer has its own code) and to select the proper method to write data on them.
Then there are the “brands”. Companies who buy the discs from the big manufacturer and just slap their brand name onto the discs and package.
There are not many disc manufacturers left who sell the discs they make under their own brand.
And there is outsourcing: a big brand orders discs from the big manufacturers, but this time according to detailled specs defined by the brand. These discs will also have the media identification code defined by the brand. And: depending on the plant where these discs are made, they might behave slightly different, although the reciepe should be the same.

In short: it is the manufacturer of the disc, that matters, not the brand (but brand can give some additional information about the disc quality). Also, CD/DVD handle discs from different manufacturers in different ways (even if they are sold under the same brand), so the results can be poor or good.

And do you think a better brand of media might fix the problem?
At least there is a chance. Where are you located? If in USA, then getting Taiyo Yuden (TY) made discs sold by rima.com should be an option.

Michael

I think I understand about the media now. I’ll try the TY and see how it works out. Thank you for all of the information. I appreciate your time and efforts.
I hope it didn’t seem as if I were implying the salesperson was at fault at all. I just meant my husband basically said, " My wife wants a computer that will burn CDs and DVDs,etc.," the salesperson told him which one would do everything I wanted overall and my husband bought it.
Oddly enough (to me,) my husband’s truck plays any CD I burn - and it’s 6 years older than my Jeep. Maybe it was a conspiracy from the start. :slight_smile:
Thank you again.
I’ll be back soon, I’m sure. I’m trying to figure out Nero 8.
Jamie