Slower burning possible?

hey sweeties,

I make dvd’s from events.

My experience is that dvd’s burned at 2x play better.
But my dvd-writer had passed away last week, so I bought a new one: Liteon SHW-16H5S

This device burns at 6x, not slower. My friend can burn the same discs at 2x

I tried to install the latest firmware, but I get a message that the patch only works on the SHW-16H5S and I am not even sure that the burning speed will be slower.

I then bought an external dvd-writer from Philips, and the same problem: slowest is 6x.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to burn at 2x?

greetz,
Chronos

No, its not possible. The firmware only knows how to burn down to the slowest speed available, if you try and force it slower then it will either refuse and burn at the slowest it can OR it will use a default / calculated strategy and could produce a readable but very low quality burn.

Burning slower does not always produce good quality discs. With DVD’s starting with a good quality disc and burning 1 speed below max burning speed (so 16x disc burnt at 12x) seems to work 1000x better than cheap discs burnt really really slowly.

The only time you can do 2x now is maybe with a 1x or 2x rated disc. 4x, 8x, 12x, and 16x [max] rated discs will be burned at rated speed or higher on modern desktop writers, and there is no way to force them lower than 4x. Even 4x often produces worse results than just under rated speed, if the drive doesn’t just report that it failed to write within thye first 2 minutes of burning, for the reasons [B]qwakrz[/B] said above.

Even if they are rated 1x-16x, or 1x-8x, chances are you’ll only get the upper speeds offered. The 1x and such is just there for ancient writers [and even they can’t often write these discs at such a slow speed]. Modern slim drives [such as laptop drives and USB-powered external drives] will offer 2x, but, again, the results won’t be good at all.

6x is generally considered minimum speed for 16x discs, and 4x for 8x discs.

[QUOTE=chronos522;1943588]hey sweeties,

I make dvd’s from events.

[B]My experience is that dvd’s burned at 2x play better.[/B]
But my dvd-writer had passed away last week, so I bought a new one: Liteon SHW-16H5S

This device burns at 6x, not slower. My friend can burn the same discs at 2x

I tried to install the latest firmware, but I get a message that the patch only works on the SHW-16H5S and I am not even sure that the burning speed will be slower.

I then bought an external dvd-writer from Philips, and the same problem: slowest is 6x.

Does anybody know if it’s possible to burn at 2x?

greetz,
Chronos[/QUOTE]

This could only be the case with crappy media or an old player.

[quote=chronos522;1943588]
My experience is that dvd’s burned at 2x play better.[/quote]

I totally disagree. If you want to write discs with the best readability, you firstly need to burn at or just below a disc’s rated speed. For example, quite often the best performance from an 8X-rated disc comes at 4X or 6X and 16X-rated discs perform best at 8X or 12X. The most important thing is that you need a decent burner, and that’s exactly what the LiteON is NOT. If you’re performing mission-critical backups or commercial products, get yourself a Pioneer DVR-212 or DVR-215.

Regards,
TerminalVeloCD

I think burning slower with cheaper media is the best way to not have coasters. I also want to say that with name brands I can achieve better results with slightly faster speeds. But on the fly recording like what I believe it is at the users wants. Depending on software this person is using you can select a 4x speed which should do well for you I hope.

Finally some people who know what they are talking about
Thanks to you all for taking the time to give some good advice, appreciate it a lot !

I tried to burn a dvd at 6x and it didn’t played well on my dvd player, 3 times the dvd stopped for a second. I burned it with my external writer: philips
I use Sony dvd-r

I accept that I won’t be able to burn slower, but when I burn 110 dvd’s and I get 30 complaints, what can I do?

greetz
Chron

Sony 16x media works best [for me] at 12x, with 8x or 16x often being more than adequate using certain burners. :iagree: