Slow writing to LG 2166 on DVD-RAM

Hi,

I’m trying to backup some data using my new DVD burner (GSA-2166), using Windows XP drag and drop. It does work, but it’s very slow. It took 11 minutes to copy just 15MB, and I’ve got over 1GB I want to backup! I turned off the CD writing tool first, and formatted the DVD as FAT32, but am I doing something else wrong? Do I need a new driver from somewhere? I couldn’t see one on the install disc.

I can watch video on another DVD-RAM that I’d recorded from my DVD recorder, so surely the burner is capable of faster speeds?

Hi and welcome!

Due to internal verification, the effective write speed of DVD-RAM is half the speed, that is printed on the disc. So you should expect about 2 MByte/sec with a 3x rated disc.

Next thing: FAT32 is not suited for DVD-RAM, as there is low performance and premature degradation of the disc. You are better off with UDF file system. To do that, you’ll need a driver. You can either use InCD or - this is the much better solution - Panasonic’s DVD-RAM driver. Just ask Iris at Toshiba for DVD-RAM drivers to get them.

Michael

One other possible cause for unusually slow write speeds on a RAM disc is a bad disc or low quality burn. RAM uses verification, so if the sectors are bad, (unreadable), it re-writes the data to the next sectors, and so on. This can take some time. This is why it’s always best to use top-quality RAM discs and take very good care of them.

What about the Panasonic 5.0.2.5 DVD-RAM driver linked here? Is there any difference between this version and the 5.0.2.5 available on the Toshiba site or are they equivalent?

Also consider if you are really using a USB 2.0 port, and not trying to run at USB 1.0 speeds.

That said, if you what to backup/archive data we would strongly recommend you author a disc in conventional tools like Nero, rather than the drag-and-drop method.

Brother Vlad

When I had Roxio’s DragToDisk installed on my system & formatted the RAM disk with that the burn speed was unbelievably slow.
I removed DTD and formatted with the formatter supplied with the Panasonic driver & the burn speed was back to what it should have been in the first place. Drag & drop works fine in this situation.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

I looked at the DVD RAM drivers on the AskIris website, but as they all looked about 60Mb plus and I’m still on dialup, I installed InCD from the software CD, and reformatted my DVD. I’m now getting much faster speeds using drag and drop, about 100MB per minute.

Given what Brother Vlad said in the post above, though, is there a problem with backing up files like this?

The basic RAM driver from Panasonic should be about 2-3 MB in size.

InCD is fine, but may prove to be more unreliable than you like.

60 MB? :eek:

Yes. :iagree:

The Panasonic 5.0.2.5 driver for Windows XP available here is 2 MB compressed and 3 MB uncompressed. It’s working fine for me so far on a system with LiteOn SHM-165P6S, NEC ND-4551A and Pioneer DVR-111L tested on all three drives.

These drivers may not reside too well with InCD. The format program wouldn’t work with Roxio’s equivalent installed. Not tried with InCD as I’d never install it on my systems.

Hi,

The version from Toshiba can be considered “official”, the other one not. This makes a difference for me at least.

As the big file size of [B]most (not all!)[/B] Toshiba packages was mentioned: This is due to the fact that the archives contain versions for W2k and XP for a lot of languages. If you browse through the results, you’ll also find an EN-US version for XP only, that is about 1,7 MB large. As this version might be slightly older, it is recommended to get the latest update from www.bhacorp.com

It is a really bad idea having any packet writing software like InCD installed if you want to use the Panasonic driver. Panasonic’s driver even automagically disables XP burning service for good reasons.

Michael

The spiral tracks on CD and DVD are designed for linear writing, like tape. At least with tape you typically have two heads so you don’t have to perform two distinct operations. The enforced read-after-write of DVD-RAM negatively impacts performance, and is always going to be at least twice as slow as the rated speed, if not worse (consider retries). We would always recommend verifying data written to discs in an end-to-end fashion (the data read back matches the data in the original file), which is not quite the same thing as the drive checking the data it thinks you sent (or the backup or file system software generated).

Trying to make a CD/DVD drive work like a hard drive requires a degree of “witch-craft” that we wouldn’t involve in something we wanted to “backup”. You may trust the software writers, we are somewhat more skeptical. Authoring a disc with some thing like Nero means it will be easy to read in the future, and will not require installation of sundry drivers and applications. A good sanity check in this regard would be to take a disc you created to a Mac or Linux machine and see just how usable it is.

It all depends on what your backup strategy is, ours would be to archive to high quality DVD+R (4.7GB) and store them in a cool, dark, dry place. We would probably also complement that with different media types. For near-term backup we would use Tape Media or an External Hard Drive and lock it in a firesafe when not performing the backup. The speed would drastically exceed anything you could achieve with DVD-RAM.

But like we said, it depends a lot on what your backup/archive goals and strategies are.

Brother Vlad