Slow transfer rate of external enclosure

vbimport

I have Trust CA-2100 5,25" external enclosure (yes I know it’s crap) with Pioneer DVR-111 installed in it. At earlier times the burst rate was 15 MB/s (might be faster) but now it’s only 13 MB/s. I’ve tried to install a hard disk in the enclosure and HDTune showed burst rate 15 MB/s. Why the optical drive is slower? It works correctly in my desktop computer. Can I make this faster (at least 15 MB/s like before)?
EDIT: The enclosure uses GL811E chipset.

Hi,[quote=Hannez;2093719]I have Trust CA-2100 5,25" external enclosure (yes I know it’s crap) with Pioneer DVR-111 installed in it. At earlier times the burst rate was 15 MB/s (might be faster) but now it’s only 13 MB/s.[/quote]What has changed? Have you played with some USB controller drivers? My personal experience: stick with Windows built-in drivers. And: getting rid of manufacturer drivers and regaining the initial performance is near to impossible.

I’ve tried to install a hard disk in the enclosure and HDTune showed burst rate 15 MB/s.
What USB controller do you have?
Can I make this faster (at least 15 MB/s like before)?
If you changed drivers, you might try a system restore.

EDIT: The enclosure uses GL811E chipset.
What revision? GL811E[B]04[/B] looks okay: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f87/dvr-112-vs-different-usb-ide-chipsets-234483/

Michael

The enclosure uses Windows built-in drivers, I’ve not installed any manufacturer or third-party drivers.
USB controller? Device manager shows Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. Is that correct?
Chipset should be GL811E-04 but how to be convinced of that?

Hi,[quote=Hannez;2093765]The enclosure uses Windows built-in drivers, I’ve not installed any manufacturer or third-party drivers.[/quote]I was referring to drivers for your USB controller.

USB controller? Device manager shows Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller. Is that correct?
This depends on the USB chipset, but this looks like a Windows default driver. Again the question: What USB controller is present? Is this an add-on card or is this an USB controller integrated into the chipset? You might have a look into the documentation of your motherboard, if Windows device manager is not helpful. You might also try msinfo32.exe (which is present on all recent Windows versions).

Chipset should be GL811E-04 but how to be convinced of that?
Open the enclosure and have a look onto the chips.

Michael

The USB controller is integrated into motherboard. Mention this is laptop.
Checked enclosure chipset again and there is GL811E 0542MLJ46-04G.
Now I connected the enclosure to my desktop computer and got the burst rate 18 MB/s thus I think the slow transfer rate is my laptop USB controller issue.

[quote=Hannez;2093776]The USB controller is integrated into motherboard. Mention this is laptop.[/quote]Doesn’t matter. I own an ancient Laptop without USB2.0. I added a Nec based Cardbus adapter (maxing out at 16 MB/sec with Windows default drivers)

Checked enclosure chipset again and there is GL811E 0542MLJ46-04G.
I’d have to look on mine also.

Now I connected the enclosure to my desktop computer and got the burst rate 18 MB/s thus I think the slow transfer rate is my laptop USB controller issue.
Looks better, indeed. But I would have expected more with that combination. You might try a [B]simulated [/B]burn of a DVD-R in CD/DVD speed and compare to the results I posted in the Pioneer forum (see link in my previous answer).

Michael

I performed simulated burning and TRT on both computers, laptop and desktop:

[ol]
[li]Simulated burn on laptop
[/li][li]TRT on laptop
[/li][li]Simulated burn on desktop
[/li][li]TRT on desktop
[/li][/ol]

I don’t know what to guess:confused:

Okay, your 111 is definitely slower than my 112 has been.
So either there is some compatibility issue with your Pioneer and your enclosure, or it’s just the poor USB controller on your computers.
Maybe it is both.
Have you already found out, what USB controllers are present in your computers?