Slow Transcoding and Trying to Understand Options in Express

I am trying to make a DVD from PAL footage and the transcoding times seem extremly long, and I am not sure I understand the Video options. Here are the details of the job:

Number of titles: 2

1. Title 1 (Video Title, 0h 34m 40s)
    Video mode: PAL
    Aspect ratio: 4:3
    Quality: Standard play (5073 kbps)
    Resolution: 720 x 576 (CCIR-601)

2. Title 2 (Slide Show, 0h 03m 15s, 31 pictures with audio)
    Quality: Standard play (5073 kbps)

Number of menus: 1

• Main menu (1 page)

This job will take 25 hours to finish, about one more hour than I have till delivery. If I change the video settings to:
Quality: Long play (3382 kbps)
the estimated time to complete drops to 12 hours or so. Confusingly enough, if I switch to Extended play - even a more reduced kbps, the time is 13 hours. So I guess I don’t understand these options very well. I am assuming there is compression involved, and it would make sense to me that the less compression the less time to transcode, but I am pretty clueless here.

Any ideas on how to speed this job up? I only have about 20 hours before delivery is due, and as it’s a training video already paid for) so I am not all that concered about quality, just on-time-delivery. thanks!
jigs

You know what the problem is! Compression… the less the quality of the final product the less time it will take to complete!

thanks rico! i am new to dvd burning with my own recorder, and i have a brand new one, the sony drx-700u, and i would have never imagined that to burn 30 seconds of video it would take over a DAY! seems excessive, even if using a single P4 machine with only 1gig of ram.

One more thing that can impact your encoding time is the driver for your Graphics card. Under Windows, some recording/conversion software calls GDI functions which are supported by the graphics drivers. So upgrading your video card on your PC can speed things up–sometimes as much as 10 times faster (this is what happened to me when I upgraded from my motherboard’s controller to the ATI 9700 Pro last year). I haven’t used Express yet, but Dazzle DVD Complete, Windows MovieMaker and Pinnacle Studio are both impacted (but if you have trouble with the output, you may have to use more conservative video driver optimization settings).