Slow torrents? Is your ISP throttling BitTorrent?

vbimport

I was reading on a forum about users who seem to see lower torrent download speeds because their ISP is throtteling it. I was wondering if my ISP was doing it and found out about this test here:

http://loki08.mpi-sws.mpg.de/bb//glasnost.php?measure=yes&repeat=3&duration=20&down=yes&up=yes&port=0&port2=0&protocol1=BitTorrent

So if your downloads are slower than expected, you’re a victim of your ISPs throtteling. Would also be interesting to find out which ISPs do!

You could also use Switzerland for testing.

According to the results of the test in the OP, my ISP limits neither up or downloads.

However, my ISP (Virgin Media) do throttle speeds when you go over a certain limit at certain times of day. Depending on your Internet package, it could be by 50% - 75%, but only for 5 hours or so, then it’s back to normal…so not as harsh as some ISPs here :wink:

[QUOTE=Arachne;2646525]According to the results of the test in the OP, my ISP limits neither up or downloads.

However, my ISP (Virgin Media) do throttle speeds when you go over a certain limit at certain times of day. Depending on your Internet package, it could be by 50% - 75%, but only for 5 hours or so, then it’s back to normal…so not as harsh as some ISPs here ;)[/QUOTE]
I wont post my download speeds but with UTorrent, and yes I use it for legal torrents, there are many. I can download a 3gb file in about 10 minutes.

This should have been 100Mbps each, so nearly 50% throttled, but not related to P2P, I hope.