Slow ripping with iHAS422

vbimport

I just purchased an iHAS422-08, mounted in a Vantec NST-530SU external case. According to the review on this very forum, the iHAS422-08 has no riplock. In the review, average speeds of 12x were possible on dual-layer DVDs, yet I can’t rip commercial DVDs at more than 4x speed with mine. This is on a Mac, but as far as I know Macs have no anti-ripping features. I am not doing any on-the-fly reencoding of the video. What might be the problem?

[QUOTE=randian;2480102]I just purchased an iHAS422-08, mounted in a Vantec NST-530SU external case. According to the review on this very forum, the iHAS422-08 has no riplock. In the review, average speeds of 12x were possible on dual-layer DVDs, yet I can’t rip commercial DVDs at more than 4x speed with mine. This is on a Mac, but as far as I know Macs have no anti-ripping features. I am not doing any on-the-fly reencoding of the video. What might be the problem?[/QUOTE]
I can only speak for my iHAS322, but it has been a very good DL reader. It manages to rip less-than-perfect DL’s at full speed that many of my other drives are forced to slow down for. Have you used other drives successfully in that enclosure?

[QUOTE=deanwitty;2480367]Have you used other drives successfully in that enclosure?[/QUOTE]
No. I got it because it’s very highly rated on MyCE’s External Enclosures forum. It seems to perform well with other LiteON drives.