Slow ripping with DVD Decrypter and Nero

vbimport

I can’t get DVD Decrypter to rip DVDs at more than a reported 2.1x and Nero 6.3 won’t burn at more than 2x… using Windows 2000, GSA-H42L and Maxell DVD-R 4.7G 16x media. Any suggestions?

Two, first check dma, and second check the cables, and btw the 42 is rip locked, so you’ll have to wait for a new firmware if you want speed.

Duh. Secondary IDE bus had both master and slave set to PIO mode. A beginner shouldn’t have missed that. In my own defense… it’s a new machine I tossed together quickly to cut down on the wear and tear on my laptop while in my living room. It hasn’t seen much real use like the three systems back in my studio. As for the riplock, I guess I wait for a firmware update so someone can hack it. In the meantime, I’ll go find my old DVD-ROM drive and external IDE box in the back… somewhere…

Thanks

Hi… I just put in the GSA-42L… the first time I’ve seen the insides of a computer. Anyway, it’s very slow using CloneDVD2, about as slow as the OEM burner (3 years old)… I wonder if that has something to do with “master/slave” thing… would you be kind enough to elaborate on what that means, and how I go about figuring it out?
Thanks

Look on the back of the drive for a jumper. You’ll see six prongs with the jumper connecting two of them. You’ll have to look in the manual to find out exactly where that jumper needs to be in order to set it as the master on that IDE channel.

However, you’re not going to want to set it as the master if your hard drive is on that same IDE channel. If you’ve got two IDE channels on your motherboard, set the ODD and HDD as masters on separate channels. Otherwise, you’re stuck with the ODD as a slave unless you get a PCI IDE controller.

If your drives are on the same IDE channel, the reason why you’re getting slow write rates is due to the limited amount of bandwidth allowed via PATA. The HDD is trying to send data through the channel to the RAM/CPU for processing while, at the same time, the RAM/CPU are trying to send the processed data through the same channel to the ODD for burning.