Slow RIP with EAC

vbimport

I have 2 boxen, both Athlons. One has a Plextor 40x Ultraplex SCSI drive and it rips audio with EAC like there is no tomorrow. Like at 16x speed.

The other box has a LiteOn LTD163 DVD drive, and it rips audio with EAC rather slowly at about 3x.

I believe I have set up EAC correctly on both machines. DMA is enabled on the box with the Liteys. Both are ripping in secure mode. Using NERO CDSpeed, the Liteon 163 rips at peak speeds of over 50x.

Whassup here? Why is the Liteon 163 so much slower than the Plexi? What have I overlooked? Thanks.

LiteOn’s have slow Dig Audio Extraction. It’s not your configuaration, it’s just the limitation of the drive itself.

Plextor’s seem to be able to do DAE at the full rated speed

Did you try to rip the same cd’s with both comp’s? Because when a disc is scratched it would take more time to read it.

The liteon does do it at 50x with eac but as you may not know EAC has two ripping modes on e is secure ripping while the other isnt.

Yes, I am ripping on both boxen in secure mode. The Plexi rips considerably faster than the Litey. Why so much difference? It’s not a scratched CD problem either. You guys with LTD163, how fast does your rip in EAC secure mode?

Use the burst mode for test purposes, just to get the real reading speed.

Is the Lite-On set up to report C2 errors to prevent EAC from reading everything twice?

Yo Dave,

On both boxen, both drives (Plexi and Litey) are capable of reporting C2 errors, but I have not checked the box which instructs EAC to use the C2 info on either machine. IOW, both are basically set up identically for their respective readers, it’s just the Plexi rips much much faster than the Litey. In fact, the Litey is downright slow. Yet in Nero CD Speed, the Litey rips very fast. What I’m trying to do is speed up the Litey’s rip, and yet stay in secure mode. Any recommendations are appreciated.

Nero CD Speed uses probably a burst mode for reading (without any error-detection). It is absolutely normal, that reading in secure mode is slower than burst mode, no matter which drive you use. If your drive doesn’t support C2 error detection (or you don’t select this option), the only chance EAC has, to verify that the data is (in most cases) read properly, is to read each sector at least twice. This is why the reading speed is slown down. The only way to speed up the extraction, is to use the C2 read method (or to use the burst mode, trusting your drive, of course :wink: ) …

OK, I ripped another CD using the C2 option, and it was no faster than before. Still rips at 3x to 4x. The Plexi rips at 16x. WTF is wrong here? Thanks.

What else can you expect from Plextor than being faster than almost any CD-ROM ?

Thanks, but I don’t think that’s the answer. I’ll try in the LiteOn forum.

Did you put one of the drives as a master and the other (on the other box) as a slave?
What hangs behind the reader on the ide channels
and don’t forget you use scsi for the plex (remember the first cd-rom players that where capable of DAE where scsi drives)

Ok, I have tested this. I used a cd of 78m56s, read it in secure mode with my LiteOn ltd-163 (gh5e) and Plextor PX-40ts (1.13). I got the following results:

ltd-163: 13,2 sp
PX-40ts: 20,9 sp

This show that Plextor is still the best regarding high quality DAE! But the LiteOn also has a respectable extraction speed, 13,2 sp is really not bad.

I don’t understand why you get such slow ripping speeds. I guess it is not your hardware setup because you get high extraction speeds with Nero…

Sorry, can’t help you…

:slight_smile:

Hi,

have you tried turning off the Audio caching for the LTD?
Í often have the same problems with different drives using EAC-Secure Mode as you describe, sometimes this works.

I think EAC is optimised for the Plex, don´t know how. Using any other ripping Proggy, my e.g. GCE 8160 is 1) as fast 2)as accurate as the Plex.

Hope you can/could solve your problem.

I use EAC 0.9 beta 4 and Liteon firmware GH5K.I have also noticed the slow reads with EAC. The only thing I know is that with the earlier version of EAC and/or earlier firmware the LTD 163 read faster. I also noticed thar with earlier firmware the Liteon did not cache audio and now it does. So I gonna change some firmwares, may it helps.

i used the ltd163 on a brand new cd, no audio caching, and got between 7-10 X rip speed in secure mode, about what my writers averages regardless :wink:

Originally posted by Tremo
Yes, I am ripping on both boxen in secure mode. The Plexi rips considerably faster than the Litey. Why so much difference? It’s not a scratched CD problem either. You guys with LTD163, how fast does your rip in EAC secure mode?

I have a LTD-163D as a Secondary Slave with GHR3. DMA enabled.
Ripped the Peter White - Caravan of Dreams CD. 10 Tracks 475MB 46m57s with no protection.
RealJukebox Plus rips complete 3minutes 44seconds @192.
EAC v0.9 beta3 rips at 67minutes 23seconds @192. Secure mode w/no C2.

CD not damaged or scratched.

I’m also a little puzzled. I’d prefer the better quality, but DAMN!!!

I think Real Jukebox, Nero, etc… i believe rip in burst mode. It’s fast, but you get errors.

EAC rips in secure mode, slower for sure, but the rip quality is much better.

I just flashed my LTD163 with the latest firmware and it’s sped up a little bit. Since the these proggies still say the thing caches audio, I ticked the “diasable audio cache” box and I’m using C2 error checking. It’s ripping at 5x now. Not much faster than before, but every little bit helps. My Plexi still blows it into the weeds.

Originally posted by Tremo
[B]I think Real Jukebox, Nero, etc… i believe rip in burst mode. It’s fast, but you get errors.

[/B]

Would you happen to know if that’s the reason my Steinberg WaveLab 4.0 would refuse to load some of the MPs ripped with RealJukebox Plus? I have resorted to ripping mainly with WaveLab as I’m guaranteed 100% compatibility since it is my premiere audio editor. Would errors in the ripping process define the “You are trying to open an unknown audio file type” error I sometime receive?