Slow rip speed with liteon 166s please help!

when i rip a dvd5 or dvd9 that’s not burned (stamped), i can rip upto 13x, but when i try to rip burned disks, it begins reading at 3x then slows down to 0x. this repeats several times until it stops reading the disk about half through the rip process.

is anyone else having the same problem with liteon 166s drives? i don’t think it’s related to dma setting since stamped dvds rip just fine at high speeds. i’ve also tried various firmwares as well w/o success. aspi is also the latest.

please help. i need to re-author bunch of old home videos i archived onto dvds while back, but now i can’t get it back on my hdd!!! i want to show it in a upcoming family get together, but i’m running out of time! plz help!

btw, these were burned on to memorex 4x discs (riochjpn002).

thx.

Try to rip the discs with another DVD capable drive and see what happens. If the same problems occur, it’s very likely that it’s not the LiteOn drive that’s causing the troubles, but the discs that are malfunctioning somehow.

I presume that they aren’t dirty and scratched, right?

Originally posted by Dee-ehn
[B]Try to rip the discs with another DVD capable drive and see what happens. If the same problems occur, it’s very likely that it’s not the LiteOn drive that’s causing the troubles, but the discs that are malfunctioning somehow.

I presume that they aren’t dirty and scratched, right? [/B]

dee-ehn,

thx for the suggestions! i completely forgot i had another dvd drive - my burner!!! nec-1100a.

based on your suggestion, i tried ripping using the nec drive and it did read it, but only at max 1.8x. it’s going to take forever to rip all of the dvds. i also tried in a friend’s pc which has a liteon 163d drive and it was fast…13x like the stamped dvds.

for now, i started to rip using the nec drive. i don’t have a choice since i’m running out of time, but still would like to understand why my 166s is having this problem.

any other suggestions?

May I suggest to try to read these discs at even some more drives?

Why? As the 163 seems to be doing very fine with these discs (and the 163 isn’t such as a good reader as the 166 is) I conclude that the discs must be allright. It could be that something’s wrong with your 166, as the 1100a (not that a good reader as well) does read the discs. But… I find the readspead of 1.8x somewhat slow, even for a 1100a. So I’m wondering if there’s something else on your system that’s responsible for the bad reading performance.

The best would be if you could borrow your friend’s 163 and mount it in your system in stead of your 166 and do some tests there. If the discs perform the same on his 163 in your computer as in his computer, we know there’s nothing wrong with your 166…