Slow rip speed on Pioneer 111D

Recently I got Pioneer 111D which takes 93 minutes to rip using DVDShrink compared to 35 minutes on NEC 3520A on another PC for the exact same DVD. Could there be that much difference in rip speed between NEC and Pioneer, or could there be some settings or maybe firmware update that might improve Pioneer rip speed? Both PCs have 512 MB memory runniing Windows 2000 SP4, and the major difference between them is one is 750 MHZ while the other is 1900 MHZ. I’d think the CPU speed could make some difference, but I wouldn’t think the 750 MHZ PC should take over 2.5 times longer to rip.

DVDShrink isn’t just ripping. It’s compressing the video so CPU speed is very significant and a 750mhz processor could easily take more than twice as long as a 1900mhz one.

However, the 111D needs to be connected via an 80wire IDE cable, attached as master & running in Ultra DMA mode 4.

It’s likely that such an old system will not support that speed so you’ve got a double whammy working against you - slow processor & slow I/O speed (both reading & writing to the HDD).

Try a burst rate test with CD-DVD Speed & see what you get.

The 111D is connected via an 80 wire IDE cable, attached as master with DMA if available setting in Windows 2000, but I see no DMA mode on either PC in Device Manager. Is DMA mode set else where, or is that maybe only for Windows XP and not in Windows 2000?

In another post I read the 111D rips slower due to rip lock. If this is true, would cross flashing to 111L via TDB firmware eliminate rip lock? I plan to cross flash anyway to gain bit setting capability. Is the NEC 3520A with liggys latest firmware rip locked?

The Buffalo firmware has riplock and can be made to work on the 111 series. You might try MCSE and see if using one of the 111L firmwares with the “increase read speed” box checked will help.

Also be aware that there are just some discs that are slower on some drives. I routinely find stuff that is .5X on my BenQ but not on the Liteon. Next rip, the BenQ is at 14X. Just yesterday I ran into the same exact problem with my NEC. So it is possible you have one of those discs.

I think you need to test out the burst rate & transfer rates just to see how capable the 750mhz system is. I don’t really think you’re going to improve times at all.

Quite right. The 111D has no riplock. To get the CPU intensive shrinking process out of the calculation, first rip the files without any compression to your harddisks and compare these times, then shrink the files.
Just to give you an impression, a 1733 MHz Athlon was 5 times faster in creating an divx file than a 550 MHz P3 in my tests. These old CPUs have a bad memory interface and do not support the extended command sets available in later CPUs to speed up multi byte operations.

Update your BIOS and settings. Go to your MOBO site and snif around.

Liggy’s FW does remove RL very nicely I might add. And once you have your system updated the DB FW for your 111 would be a good flash.

As pointed out before, this computer cannot support UDMA4 mode via the internal IDE controller, most obviously. 750MHz would be okay for 4x dvd burning, nothing more, IMHO. And ripping times will obviously not any better.The speed burst test using Nero CD DVD Speed is the best way to find out…

TimC certainly seems to know his MHZ regarding burner performance. By switching burners between the 2 PCs I confirmed the 750 PC is indeed that much slower than the 1900 PC by running DVDShrink again on same DVD referred to in my initial post. It took 32 minutes for the 111D on the 1900 PC compared to 35 minutes for the 3520A on the same 1900 PC, and this test seems to answer my initial question.

In another thread I read advice to do a Benq firmware flash in safe mode. Could running the flash in safe mode have helped prevent the crash that killed another user’s 111D, and would it be a good idea to do all firmware flashing in safe mode?

I’ve never flashed in safe mode and I’ve done it many times without incident, but that’s a risk I’m prepared to take, as are many others here that do just the same as me.

If you want to be really safe I guess it makes sense to follow that advice.

It makes sense, especially if you have non-standard ide drivers installed or the system is unstable.

Hey guys, I’m new to forums, but from what I’ve read from you all this past week , i’ve been inspired to register and senselessly, ignorantly, direct many of my issues to the board. lol. Thanks in advance for your tolerance.

Not only does my pioneer 111d rip insanely slow, but if I try to play an audio CD… it tries so hard to read it, my whole pc slows down and the audio skips. It doesn’t just have trouble reading… but whenever it does read, the whole pc drags.

I’m running core 2 duo, 512 ram, pretty sweet setup. 35 processes, gone through with a fine comb, on windows xp. Updated firmware.

Those of you who say you’ve had aweful ripping speeds with your 111, have you also had read issues with other disks? This one never fails to read, but when it does read, pc spits at me in horrendous lag till it’s done the initial spin.

Anyone have any clue why its so …god aweful?

Welcome to the forum.

I think you need to check the DMA status of the drive to start with. Check out this thread .

@ Faustblix,

For the Pioneer DVR-111 to function properly requires the Pioneer DVR-111 to operate in the Ultra DMA mode 4 which requires the use of a Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable.

Below is a Web Link concerning Ultra DMA (80-Conductor) IDE/ATA Cable ->

http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/if/ide/confCable80-c.html

Regards,
bjkg

Going through the steps to ensure DMA is enabled, the 80 wire will have to come with a trip to the shop.

Is it normal to have 3 primary and 3 secondary IDE channels? I have only one disk drive. …once again deeply apologizing for being so ignorant concerning hardware. Don’t know where else to turn without losing my pc for months.

Intel® ICH8 2 Port Serial ATA Storage controller - 2825
Intel® ICH8 4 Port Serial ATA Storage controller - 2820
Primary IDE Channel (Device 0 DMA if available, Current Transfer mode N/A)
Primary IDE Channel (Device 0 DMA if available, Current Transfer mode N/A)
Primary IDE Channel (Device 0 DMA if available, Current Transfer mode ULTRA DMA MODE 6) autodetection option grayed out, can’t be accessed*
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel
Secondary IDE Channel (same as rest, but device 0 is PIO only)
Standard dual channel PCI IDE Controller

And…Ultra DMA Mode 6? Ultra dma mode 4 sounded heavy enough, how 6 is ever being used on this …what seems to be junk reader is beyond me.

Should I enable DMA if available on secondary as well? Should I be concerned about it being current at DMA Mode 6?

Sidenote: You guys rock for having responded so quickly and with wicked precise information. Thank you very much for your assistance.

UDMA6 is only for harddisks.