Slow Optiarc AD-7201S problem

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Optiarc AD-7201S. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hello,

I have a problem with my AD-7201S. Sunday I installed Vista Home Premium 64 and this took me 23 hours (!). The DVD loaded for a couple of seconds and then the system stalled (the HDD light was on continuously when nothing happened). After ~10 minutes the DVD would load for a couple of seconds again and then the system stalled once more. The process went on with about 4% increase per hour. I just let the system run and install it at this terrible speed.
Once Vista was on the system all was fine and the system works very well. But the DVD still doesn’t work like it should. When I inject a DVD and explore it, the system stalls again for ~10 minutes. The DVD then reads again for a couple of seconds, etc. For example, when trying to install Far Cry 2 from the DVD, the installer would progress a bit, then stall a bit, progress again, etc.

I think you understand this doesn’t work. Taking 23 hours to install Vista almost drove me nuts (but I had no choice once the process started ;)).

So I wonder whether anyone of you could help me with this one.

My system:
Antec NSK4480B 380W
Crucial 4GB Kit DDR2 667MHz
Asus M2N-VM/DVI AM2
Samsung HD F1 750GB 32MB SATAII
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e AM2
Club3D HD 4850 512MB PCIe
NEC AD-7201S LS SATA 20x Black

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to the forum.

nVidia chipsets, in particular the SATA controllers have been known to cause problems with the optical drives.
Check for the latest BIOS for your motherboard and the latest chipset drivers.
Also check in the BIOS, the mode that the SATA controller is operating in (ACHI or Compatible) You can try switching modes and see if this clears the problem, unfortunately, this will mean a clean install of the operating system, in most cases.