Slow HP Burner

Yesterday I noticed that one of my HP dvd1040 drives seemed to be transferring data very slowly.

Today I used some Nero 7 software to do a “Test Drive” and it was running at 1.56X. The drive is rated at 16X.

I don’t know what 1.56X means exactly. Is it in reference to the data transfer rate or the speed (revolutions) of the disc or what?

Equally, other than replacing the drive, I don’t know if there is anything I can do to restore it to operate at 16X.

Any help (explanations/suggestions) would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Check the DMA mode first. You need to enable it again.

[QUOTE=chef;2283157]Check the DMA mode first. You need to enable it again.[/QUOTE]

How does one do that?

Thanks

Look in my signature for the link to Womble’s dma guide.

First, I want to thank those who tried to help.
Second, I was able to ‘fix’ the problem.
Then sadly, I was unable to implement the solution offered by Wombie.
For some reason (known only to Windows) I was never able to get to a Device manager page that was labeled Settings.
Under Device Manager, when I doubled clicked on HP DVD Writer 1040d I was shown a Window with five (5) tabs.
General
Properties
DVD Region
Volumes
Driver
Details

Clicking on any of these tabs (and on buttons within these screens) never presented me with a Settings screen.

I used Windows XP Help and Support and searched on DMA Settings and as I recall the instructions there told me to click on the Resources tab under Device Manager and if I didn’t have a Resource tab then I was not allow to change the DMA setting.

In any case, it seems that I am unable to get to the Settings screen in the Device Manager.

Next thing I tried was uninstalling the drives - there was a button in Device Manager that permitted that. A Re-boot, installed the driver and a Nero “Test Drive” indicated the problem remained.

So, I did a System Restore, going back to Monday a day I recalled that the drive was working correctly.

That ‘fixed’ it. A Nero “Test Drive” was reporting 10x transfer rate and I could hear the drive speeding up when I canceled the test.

Again, thanks for all your attempts to help and this is the [U]first time[/U] that CDFreaks has not been able to provide quick and effective advice.

I guess you can’t win’em all.

The reason you couldn’t get to the Advanced Settings tab was because you were looking at the dvd drive in Device Manager. You have to look at the IDE controller that the drive is connected to.

[QUOTE=secretcodebreaker;2283654]

So, I did a System Restore, going back to Monday a day I recalled that the drive was working correctly.[/quote]Overkill. Not sure if this is mentioned in the troubleshooting article, but worth reading: http://winhlp.com/node/10 :slight_smile:

Michael

Thanks Kerry56. I looked and there are Resource Tabs (in Device Manager) for the Primary and Secondary IDE Channels. I don’t know, but I assume the DVD device is on the Secondary Channel - Device 1.

Michael - I had read about some of that stuff (particularly the auto revert to PIO). I must admit the other parts of the article scared the hell out me. I don’t know how to run script and I would NEVER mess with Registry Keys. For me, with my limited experience and skill (lack of), that is like opening up the back of my PC and putting my hand inside with the power on. :slight_smile:

The really scary part of that article is that it seems to be the only solution (other than the one I used - System Restore).

Not a good situation.

Rock on.

Hi,[QUOTE=secretcodebreaker;2283787]

I had read about some of that stuff (particularly the auto revert to PIO). I must admit the other parts of the article scared the hell out me. I don’t know how to run script[/quote]Just double-click to execute it. Or right-click to save locally, then run from your local HDD by double-klicking on the .vbs file.
The latter is the better option, since it is generally no good idea to be surfing with Admin premissions (and then just run a scripf off a website).

The really scary part of that article is that it seems to be the only solution (other than the one I used - System Restore).
Indeed. Luckily these issues do not occur with USB connected drives, or drives that are connected to a controller that is operated with drivers from the manufacturer. But in that case, there might be other issues.

Not a good situation.
:iagree:

Michael