Slow DVD ripping with SH-203B

I just picked up the Samsung SH-203B SATA 20x DVD Burner the other day. I installed it, no problem. I loaded the Samsung firmware checker, and found that I have the latest factory firmware. I have an ASUS P5WDH motherboard, and am running windows xp media center 2005. I was ripping some of my personal DVDs to my networked hard-drive (so they could be accessed via a HTPC in another room), and they initially ripped really fast. So much faster, in fact, than my Benq DW-1655. However, since then, rips are taking 30-40 minutes! I have slysoft’s anydvd, and no other processes are running. I read the review here at CDFreaks, and they claim this drive is not rip-locked. Plus, as it did work on a couple of DVDs (don’t recall if they were single or double layer), it seems like it isn’t rip-locked. Any ideas, as I’m ready to exchange it for a different product.

Do a benchmark on your drive, with a regular dvd5.
When i bought my LiteOn 20A1S (sata) i instaled it and done a trt, the drive didn’t pass over 2.2x, so i instaled sata/raid drivers from my motherboard cd and now it goes up to 16.25x.

Thanks for the prompt response! I didn’t think about drivers. Up to this point, I only had hard-drives on these sata ports. Can you point me to instructions on how to run these benchmarks? I do have nero installed. Thanks!

[QUOTE=bondisdead;1920707]Thanks for the prompt response! I didn’t think about drivers. Up to this point, I only had hard-drives on these sata ports. Can you point me to instructions on how to run these benchmarks? I do have nero installed. Thanks![/QUOTE]

Open nero smartstart, extras , test drive, and just select the samsung drive and press start.

Welcome to the club.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/samsung-sh-s203b-vs-pioneer-dvr-111d-230485/

This drive seems to be great at doing just about everything I ask from a drive, other then ripping DVDs. Unfortunately ripping DVDs is about 90% of what I ask from a drive. I sent mine back to Newegg and got a Lite-On LH-20A1H and it rips the hell out of DVDs.

[QUOTE=bondisdead;1920687]I just picked up the Samsung SH-203B SATA 20x DVD Burner the other day. I installed it, no problem. I loaded the Samsung firmware checker, and found that I have the latest factory firmware. I have an ASUS P5WDH motherboard, and am running windows xp media center 2005. I was ripping some of my personal DVDs to my networked hard-drive (so they could be accessed via a HTPC in another room), and they initially ripped really fast. So much faster, in fact, than my Benq DW-1655. However, since then, rips are taking 30-40 minutes! I have slysoft’s anydvd, and no other processes are running. I read the review here at CDFreaks, and they claim this drive is not rip-locked. Plus, as it did work on a couple of DVDs (don’t recall if they were single or double layer), it seems like it isn’t rip-locked. Any ideas, as I’m ready to exchange it for a different product.[/QUOTE]
The 203B and 202G are video rip-locked. Even with the available “fast-read” firmware, they will not rip a video disc faster than 8x. More like 6x on dual-layer video discs. Don’t be fooled by fast transfer rate tests, actually ripping a video is SLOW.

[QUOTE=CDan;1920857]The 203B and 202G are video rip-locked. Even with the available “fast-read” firmware, they will not rip a video disc faster than 8x. More like 6x on dual-layer video discs. Don’t be fooled by fast transfer rate tests, actually ripping a video is SLOW.[/QUOTE]

Crap! Wish I had read this first, as I certainly would not have purchased this drive. :sad: Any suggestions for a good drive for video ripping? Cheaper the better, and preferably SATA. Thanks in advance.

[QUOTE=bondisdead;1920867]Crap! Wish I had read this first, as I certainly would not have purchased this drive… :sad: .[/QUOTE]Don’t be sad [I]bondisdead[/I]. S203’s are very good burners.
And when it comes to ripping (and also maybe encoding) a 203 will be fast enough. What is your problem?
[I]Added. [/I]Okay, adding one example. My BenQ DW1640 is fastest ripper in town. But when it come to en-/transcoding a ccp movie, my Sammys are not far behind my BenQ.

Get a Lite-On sata drive if you want a fast reader. But then, just don’t expect any faster total rip/transcoding times with Lite-On’s drive though.

Not 100% sure about that though. Look at our thread linked to above and particularly Dee-27’s posts…

I’ve been very happy with the burning. Fast, relatively quiet and works with cheap media. However, it’s the video-dvd rip time that kills me. With slysofts’ anydvd in the background, it is taking me 30-40 minutes to rip a DVD-DL disc. My BenQ DW-1655 would take less than 15-minutes.

[QUOTE=CDan;1920857]The 203B and 202G are video rip-locked. Even with the available “fast-read” firmware, they will not rip a video disc faster than 8x. More like 6x on dual-layer video discs. Don’t be fooled by fast transfer rate tests, actually ripping a video is SLOW.[/QUOTE]

The 203B is absolutely NOT riplocked.

I posted a rip to prove it. I can rip SL pressed DVD-videos at 16X and DL pressed DVD-videos at 12X.

Dee posted rips too. And Dee does know what she is doing.

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s203b-riplocked-229316/#post1902751

So if the SH-203B is not video riplocked, then there must be something wrong with my setup that is preventing it from ripping quickly.

All I can say is that my 202G rips at 6-8x 100% of the time, but will do transfer rate tests on the same discs at 12x/16x. Ripping and transcoding at the same time is a completely different set of operations and should not be considered in a discussion of ripping speeds. In any case, the 202G is worthless as a ripper, with or without the fast-read firmware.

Not sure about the rip-lock part I always use my trusted old Liteon 160P6S to do all of my ripping
with the exception of discs that it won’t/can’t read, then I use the S203B to rip it as it will read just
about anything you put in there except maybe a disc that is completely destroyed. I can see a little
bit of difference in ripping time between the two drives the 160P6S is quite a bit faster. :wink:

[QUOTE=bondisdead;1920960]So if the SH-203B is not video riplocked, then there must be something wrong with my setup that is preventing it from ripping quickly.[/QUOTE]

I’ve had great luck with 3 out of 4 DVD burners being very fast rippers in my current machine. That fact that 1 of the 4 (the Samsung) takes twice as long to rip a DVD movie as any of the other 3 drives tells me right where the problem is, and it’s not my machine.

I’d venture to guess it’s not your machine either. Get a Lite-On LH-20A1H and enjoy fast riping.

[QUOTE=OldGuy100;1921406]I’ve had great luck with 3 out of 4 DVD burners being very fast rippers in my current machine. That fact that 1 of the 4 (the Samsung) takes twice as long to rip a DVD movie as any of the other 3 drives tells me right where the problem is, and it’s not my machine.

I’d venture to guess it’s not your machine either. Get a Lite-On LH-20A1H and enjoy fast riping.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Same situation here.

I dont really understand it, my SH203B rips at 12X, a normal movie takes about 10 mins. Even my BenQs are about the same. Maybe I am so used to this speed I don't even realize its slow. LOL.:o

I just ripped a DL movie last night with Slysoft AnyDVD & CloneDVD, and it took 30-minutes. Nothing running in the background. Will check out one of the suggestions above about updating sata drivers. Or maybe there is some setting that is slowing it down.

Hi,

I just ripped a disc (5.768.736 KB) using Decrypter (my very first DVD Rip btw :slight_smile: )
In file mode:

I 21:13:40 Source Device: [2:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB01 (R:) (SCSI)
I 21:13:40 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 21:13:40 Source Media Region Code: 2
I 21:13:40 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
I 21:13:40 Source Media Implementation Identifier: DVD Producer 1.0
I 21:13:40 Destination Folder: I:\DVD2\VIDEO_TS\
I 21:13:40 File Splitting: By Vob ID
I 21:13:40 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 21:13:40 Multi Angle Processing: No
I 21:13:40 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 21:13:40 Stream Processing: No
(...)
I 21:23:31 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:09:50
I 21:23:31 Average Read Rate: 9.776 KB/s (7.1x) - Maximum Read Rate: 15.950 KB/s (11.5x)

Same disc, but created an ISO:

I 21:24:26 Source Device: [2:0:0] TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B SB01 (R:) (SCSI)
I 21:24:26 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 21:24:26 Source Media Region Code: 2
I 21:24:26 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
I 21:24:26 Source Media Implementation Identifier: DVD Producer 1.0
I 21:24:26 Destination File: I:\DVD2.ISO
I 21:24:26 File Splitting: Auto
I 21:24:26 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 21:24:26 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 21:24:26 Extracting Sectors... (LBA: 0 - 2884367)
(...)
I 21:40:44 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:16:17
I 21:40:44 Average Read Rate: 5.904 KB/s (4.3x) - Maximum Read Rate: 7.840 KB/s (5.7x)

EDIT:
same disc with Benq DW 1650 in file mode

I 21:54:11 Source Device: [1:1:0] BENQ DVD DD DW1650 BCDC (Q:) (ATA)
I 21:54:11 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 21:54:11 Source Media Region Code: 2
I 21:54:11 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
I 21:54:11 Source Media Implementation Identifier: DVD Producer 1.0
I 21:54:11 Destination Folder: I:\DVD2\VIDEO_TS\
I 21:54:11 File Splitting: By Vob ID
I 21:54:11 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 21:54:11 Multi Angle Processing: No
I 21:54:11 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 21:54:11 Stream Processing: No
(...)
I 22:02:38 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:08:27
I 22:02:38 Average Read Rate: 11.376 KB/s (8.2x) - Maximum Read Rate: 15.765 KB/s (11.4x)

And a Liteon SHM-165P6S. File mode also. The USB interface provides enough data rate for 16x, so this is no bottleneck.

I 22:05:51 Source Device: [0:0:0] LITE-ON DVDRW SHM-165P6S MS0R (U:) (USB)
I 22:05:51 Source Media Type: DVD-ROM
I 22:05:51 Source Media Region Code: 2
I 22:05:51 Source Media Copyright Protection System Type: CSS/CPPM
I 22:05:51 Source Media Implementation Identifier: DVD Producer 1.0
I 22:05:51 Destination Folder: I:\DVD2\VIDEO_TS\
I 22:05:51 File Splitting: By Vob ID
I 22:05:51 Detect Mastering Errors: No
I 22:05:51 Multi Angle Processing: No
I 22:05:51 Remove Macrovision Protection: Yes
I 22:05:51 Stream Processing: No
I 22:20:17 Operation Successfully Completed! - Duration: 00:14:25
I 22:20:17 Average Read Rate: 6.668 KB/s (4.8x) - Maximum Read Rate: 9.853 KB/s (7.1x)

At first I thought the ones complaining had some strange problem, because I hadn’t noticed any unusual slowness. I’m running the FB-FR firmware.

But let me tell you all, there is something strange going on with this drive’s ripping speed that has to do with how it is being read or what program is reading it. I tested a few things with disc 2 of R1 LOTR:FOTR EE.

Running an RPM test with DVDInfoPro yields a 12X CAV read from beginning to end and finishes in 11:36. See attached.

DVDDecrypter in File mode (which I normally use) acts a little different. The first 256MB of the disc reads at 6X CAV (i.e. 2.75X at the beginning). Then after that, the first 256MB of each FILE reads at 8X CAV, then accelerates to 12X CAV for the rest of the file. Total time 14:15. This is really weird but not slow enough for me to have noticed.

DVDDecrypter in ISO mode really pokes, like some of you are reporting. It reads the entire disc at 6X CAV, taking 22:18 to finish.

My theory is that it is somehow deciding whether to use “riplock” or not depending on how/what rate the data is requested, and like most “riplock” is not to discourage ripping but actually designed to keep the drive quiet/reduce wear/save power during movie playback.

To me it’s pretty clear that the 203B uses an unusual speed determining algorithm on DVD video.

See, drive vendors are very nervous about perceptions that their drives are loud. And all drives spinning at 16X are loud. So they try to not run at full speed when it won’t affect performance much. These situations are rare, but one of them is when playing a DVD (not ripping, playing). In that case, you can spin at 2X, be very quiet, and still provide the data fast enough for the DVD playback program.

So when you put in a video disc and start to read it out, drives assume you are playing a video and start slow. On a riplocked drive, this would be the end of it, it would never speed up. But on a newer drive, it tries to determine from the rate that data is requested whether the client is trying to rip the disc or just play it to the display in realtime.

Clearly, Samsung’s algorithm is less likely to properly detect you are trying to rip a disc and fails to speed up to max speed.

Although I don’t have problems with this algorithm, it’s clear that it isn’t working for everyone, and thus perhaps Samsung could stand to improve their algorithm a little.