Slow DVD read

vbimport

My acer aspire 5050 has been finding it difficult to play DVDs since about 2 weeks ago. I noticed when watching videos off a DVD in media player there was a great amount of slowdown.

I have found DMA to be enabled, so this isn’t the issue. I have reinstalled drivers and found this didn’t have any effect. I have also done a system scan and defrag with no show of improvement.

I have used nero diskspeed and found that the speed of my player is at max 3.75x which would consider below normal. could someone maybe get to grips with what the issue might be?

Thanks folks, would really appretiate your input
Daz

If this is happening for all DVDs then I would guess that the laser in your drive has gone low emission and it’s time for a new drive. I’d guess that your drive is several years old and not under warrnty any more, but if it is then have a word with the manufacturers.

Sláinte

midders

Thanks for that, actually yes it’s still under the 1 year warranty (10 days left) so i’m gonna follow that up. i just wondered if there is anything else it could be before i report it as a hardware fault.

Daz

You could try reverting to a system restore point dated before the problem manifested, or a fresh install of the OS (XP/Vista).

Also might be worth cleaning the lens of the laser and checking out this thread http://club.cdfreaks.com/f106/fixing-your-panny-when-theres-fault-lens-cleaning-doesnt-help-210507/#post1702503

Sláinte

midders

thanks for the sound advice, much appreciated.

Daz