Slow Dell Inspiron 1520 - Help needed

vbimport

My friend has this laptop and I’d like to help him speed it up by installing additional memory and taking other actions as you guys may be able to recommend.

The laptop currently shows .99GB of total RAM memory. I believe that’s what two (2) 512 MB DDR2 677Mhz memory modules are providing. The CPU is an intel dual processor (T2310)) running at 1.46Mhz.

Should he purchase two (2) modules of 2GB DDR2 800Mhz memory to help speed things up or would two 1GB memory sticks do the job?

Are there other actions I can take to help speed it up? I have the laptop in my possession and can take immediate action. Thanks

P.S. I’ve ran disk cleanup, defragged, CCleaner, Malwarebytes scan…but it still will not allow a Youtube video or any other video for that matter (movie clip, etc.) to play without rebuffering numerous times. This aspect in particular is very annoying…not to mention the slow opening of web sites, etc.

Have you tried msconfig?? I would first do a scan from www.crucial.com and see what memory is installed and how much can be added. some motherboards have limits to as how much memory can be installed. also is this vista or xp 32bit or 64 bit operating system??

If he is going to be doing a lot of video, graphics, or games then the 4GBs might make a noticeable difference. Otherwise, 2GBs of memory should be enough for simple web browsing, Microsoft Office etc.

You should make sure the laptop’s hard disk is ok, failing hard drives can cause major slowdowns. Try HDtune : http://hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
It’s a great, free program that allows you to view the SMART data of the drive and run benchmarks to see if the drive is healthy.

The best way to make a computer run faster is to reinstall the OS and programs. If you upgrade him to 4GBs, loading a 64-bit OS will allow you to use all 4GBs of memory.

Hi,QUOTE=burnselk;2528870
The laptop currently shows .99GB of total RAM memory. I believe that’s what two (2) 512 MB DDR2 677Mhz memory modules are providing.[/quote]I guess, this laptop has intel VGA with shared memory?

Should he purchase two (2) modules of 2GB DDR2 800Mhz memory to help speed things up or would two 1GB memory sticks do the job?
Unless you get them at the same price, 800 MHz RAM is a waste of money. The chipset supports only DDR2-667.
2 GB should be enough, at least with XP.
Replacing both memory stick is somewhat tricky since one module is located under the keyboard. Get the service manual from Dell support website.

Are there other actions I can take to help speed it up? I have the laptop in my possession and can take immediate action. Thanks

Have you verified the HDD (and ODD) is running in DMA mode?

P.S. I’ve ran disk cleanup, defragged, CCleaner, Malwarebytes scan…
Why do people always think their system gets faster that way? :wink:

but it still will not allow a Youtube video or any other video for that matter (movie clip, etc.) to play without rebuffering numerous times. This aspect in particular is very annoying…not to mention the slow opening of web sites, etc.
Rebuffering could be an issue of the internet connection. If I remember correctly, then there is some speed test on youtube. What happens if a video is played from the HDD?

For Flash, make sure the latest version is installed - there is a version vor MSIE and one for Opera and Firefox.
Also install the latest VGA drivers. In case it’s the Intel IGP, then get them from Intel website.

Michael

Replace at least one stick with 2Gb (going above that wont help much at all).
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145172&Tpk=VS2GSDS667D2

While Youtube etc highly depends on your internet connection make sure that you have new drivers for sound, video, chipset, lan and WLAN installed.
Other than a reformat (which really helps in most cases) the only thing left is the CPU which is quite slow. Mine barely did 720p (GMA950) using a T2300 CPU but getting a T7400 CPU off eBay made wonders in my case. Of course it still lacks hw accleration and such but the CPU makes up for it at least 1-2 years…

//Danne

Have you tried msconfig??
I have not, what changes should I make here? I can do it but need to know what to do

I would first do a scan from www.crucial.com and see what memory is installed and how much can be added. some motherboards have limits to as how much memory can be installed
OK, I did this, and it has the only two (2) memory slots filled with 512MB DDR2 memory sticks in each slot and it says it can take up to 4GB.

How can I determine if it’s a 32bit or 64bit OS?.

It runs 32-bit for sure
//Danne

[QUOTE=burnselk;2528895]I have not, what changes should I make here? I can do it but need to know what to do.

Go to run type msconfig then go to start up an take out most except virus protection and see if that helps. here is a link to how to msconfig.
http://netsquirrel.com/msconfig/index.html

(QUOTE)OK, I did this, and it has the only two (2) memory slots filled with 512MB DDR2 memory sticks in each slot and it says it can take up to 4GB.

Depending on what operating system if you have xp it should run okay with what you have but if you have vista you need as much as you can install.

If he is going to be doing a lot of video, graphics, or games then the 4GBs might make a noticeable difference. Otherwise, 2GBs of memory should be enough for simple web browsing, Microsoft Office etc.
If it will be used to watch online movies shouldn’t he have 4GB?

You should make sure the laptop’s hard disk is ok, failing hard drives can cause major slowdowns. Try HDtune : http://hdtune.com/files/hdtune_255.exe
It’s a great, free program that allows you to view the SMART data of the drive and run benchmarks to see if the drive is healthy.[/QUOTE

]I downloaded and ran this program and all looks well. If you want to see the other results let me know. No errors found. See attached Health Status.

[QUOTE]The best way to make a computer run faster is to reinstall the OS and programs. If you upgrade him to 4GBs, loading a 64-bit OS will allow you to use all 4GBs of memory.
I don’t know if he’ll want to reinstall the OS. I know nothing about 32bit vs 64bit OS. I suppose that would require a new purchase of Windows won’t it?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145172&Tpk=VS2GSDS667D2
I’ll see how much $ he wants to spend.

While Youtube etc highly depends on your internet connection make sure that you have new drivers for sound, video, chipset, lan and WLAN installed.

I’ll see if I can handle this…may need some more advice doing this.

Other than a reformat (which really helps in most cases) the only thing left is the CPU which is quite slow. Mine barely did 720p (GMA950) using a T2300 CPU but getting a T7400 CPU off eBay made wonders in my case. Of course it still lacks hw accleration and such but the CPU makes up for it at least 1-2 years
A faster processor may be out of the question. It might be just as effective to buy a new computer. Those Intel processors are holding their price. But I’m game if he has the $$.

I’ll see how much $ he wants to spend. But I believe 2GB will do.

I

I’ll see if I can handle this…may need some more advice doing this.

Other than a reformat (which really helps in most cases) the only thing left is the CPU which is quite slow. Mine barely did 720p (GMA950) using a T2300 CPU but getting a T7400 CPU off eBay made wonders in my case. Of course it still lacks hw accleration and such but the CPU makes up for it at least 1-2 years

A faster processor may be out of the question. It might be just as effective to buy a new computer. Those Intel processors are holding their price. But I’m game to install it if he has the $$ to purchase it.

It might be worth it to just put the money towards a new Netbook or laptop. Between RAM and a new HDD, the graphics on the current laptop cannot be upgraded and in a lot of cases the cpu can’t be upgraded.

Run the ‘benchmark’ test in HDtune and post the graph.

[QUOTE=eric93se;2528939]It might be worth it to just put the money towards a new Netbook or laptop. Between RAM and a new HDD, the graphics on the current laptop cannot be upgraded and in a lot of cases the cpu can’t be upgraded.

Run the ‘benchmark’ test in HDtune and post the graph.[/QUOTE]

See the attachment:

The CPU can certainly be upgraded as this model came with several other ones…
FWIW mine cost less than 150 USD and provided 2x performance =)
//Danne

You lucky dog…what a deal…refurbed 1520s are going for nearly $500 AWS…those Intel dual core processors are most likely $200+

Do you know the model of your 2x processor?

How many replacement processors does the 1520 have that are available?

[QUOTE=eric93se;2528939]It might be worth it to just put the money towards a new Netbook or laptop. Between RAM and a new HDD, the graphics on the current laptop cannot be upgraded and in a lot of cases the cpu can’t be upgraded.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree eric.

Run the ‘benchmark’ test in HDtune and post the graph.
What do you think about the benchmark test results?

That HDD is very slow, but i don’t know if thats normal for that laptop. A new one will be at least twice as fast.